Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather build

Default Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather build

So I picked up a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in .30-06 from Wild West Guns a few months back. This was going to be my one gun for everything in Alaska gun. I looked the gun over when I bought it and was satisified with the fit and finish. I took it home and it sat for a couple of months before I got a chance to shoot. When I was breaking in the barrel (not really shooting for accuracy, just getting it on paper) I noticed that what I thought was just a streak on the bolt raceway from dirty grease was actually a gouge filled with dirty grease. The gouge was deep enough that you could catch a fingernail in it, but it did not affect the function of the gun. I took it back to Wild West and they were awesome to deal with. They sent it back to Winchester and it came back with the raceway polished and the gouge gone. I was a happy camper, until I did some more shooting.

Unfortunately, the rifle would only hold about 2-3" groups. I tried five different bullets (180 Accubond, 180 Partition, 165 SST, 150 Remington PSP, and 220 Hornady) and five different powders (H4530, IMR 4350, RL-15, RL-19, and Ramshot Big Game). I used mostly what I had around. I know there are more accurate bullets, like the Bergers, but I won't use them for hunting. I was using Lapua brass, Federal 210M primers, and Forster Micro Competition dies. I used a Hornady OAL tool and varied the length from .020 to .050 from the lands without any significant change. I know the first thing to consider is the shooter, but I can hold 1/2" groups with my Blaser R8 in 6.5x55 with Sierra Gameking bullets and my Ruger Frontier in 300 WSM with 180 Accubonds will do 3/4" (with a low powered scout scope no less), so I know I'm capable. I tried two different sets of bases (Leupold and Burris), and two different rings (Leupold QRW and Warne QD). I also tried two different scopes (Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-III and a Nightforce 2.5-10). I was shooting off a Rock front rest and sand bag V rear off a stable bench. I also looked at all of the other common things like the action screws not torqued properly, the magazine box binding, free floated barrel, etc. and got nothing.

I decided the gun just won't shoot to the accuracy I was looking for. 2" in my mind is good for 300 yards and under, but I wanted the confidence that the bullet was going to go exactly where I put it. I moved to the Valley from Barrow a little over a year ago, so I needed to find a good gunsmith to work on it. I did some research and settled on Steve at Alaska Custom Firearms. Him being a forum sponsor also weighed into my decision. He has a custom Mauser in .375 Improved that I liked the work on, so it was a done deal.

I thought that since he's a forum sponsor I would detail the build and my progress here. I know this isn't his forum, but it seems it fits best here.

I dropped the gun off yesterday. I should add that I did not know they were closed on Mondays. I work nights on the weekends and made the trip to their shop after work. I happened to pull into the parking lot as the clerk was walking out. She was kind enough to let me in and take my order, despite being closed. Now that's customer service!

Here's what I asked Steve to do:
    Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS
    True bolt and action
    Lap bolt lugs
    Install Lilja barrel to same length and contour
    Install NECG Masterpiece banded front and pedestal rear sights with S-4 sight post and windowed hood
    Flute barrel
    Polish feed ramp
    Nitride entire gun (which includes Burris Xtreme Tactical bases and Leupold 1" QRW rings)
    Remove factory bedding (hot glue really) and bed action to stock
    Adjust factory trigger to 3 lbs.

I went with the Burris Xtreme Tactical bases because I wanted a two-piece base that was an actual picatinny spacing. I have a mount for a Trijicon RMR that needs picatinny that I may use for close in hunting. I also left him two sets of rings because I'm going to set up two scopes for two different loads, hopefully an Accubond for long range light skinned animals and a Partition for closer and heavy skinned animals. I think I'm going to go with Leupold VX-III's in 3.5-10x40 and 1.75-6x32 for the scopes.

I think I'm going to Cerakote or something similar the stock. I just haven't settled on a color or pattern yet. I'm kind of fond of the coloring and pattern on Steven Rinella's (Meat Eater) gun, so I may try to duplicate that.

I'll update the thread with the progress and pics of the final product. Steve is ordering the barrel and sights, so that will delay things some. I'm going to be laid up from surgery for about two months, so I'll be anxiously awaiting the results.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

My first update: Steve wasn't available when I dropped off my rifle (they were closed). Within 1 business day I was on the phone with him and going over the details. He was great to talk to and we even discussed some bullet selection for the rifle. The morning of the next business day I had a detailed work order in my e-mail inbox. So far I'm very impressed with their customer service and their quickness to reply to my inquiries. This is my first full custom gun that I've been the one doing the work on (I've owned a couple second hand) and I've heard stories of gunsmiths taking too long and not responding to calls/messages. I know this project is going to take several months to complete, but I don't think any delays are going to be Steve's fault.

Sounds like a neat project rifle and one that will do everything in Alaska and then some. Look forward to hearing more about your build.

I have a couple Extreme Weathers, both of mine are great shooters.

Do you know Timney just released a new trigger for the FN Winchesters? The triggers in mine is about the only thing I would change. I did have mine worked, but I'm going to replace both with the new Timneys.

The trigger is what connects the shooter to the rifle and this vital link is often overlooked or discounted in how important this is to accuracy.

Also instead of 2 scopes, why not get a Leupold with the CDS System. I have one on my Winchester Model 70 feather weight and have a 150 grain load dial and a 180 grain load dial. A quick change of the dial and it is ready to go without any other adjustments.

My best load for my 30-06 is using Reloader 17 and 180 grain Accubond, also found my best accuracy with the Accubonds seated close to the lands,,, 0.005 off the lands works best in mine and I have noticed that seating does matter as I seated deeper accuracy decreased. YMMV

Sounds like a cool project. I have thought of changing out the stock on mine with a Edge stock from McMillan.

Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 12-06-2012 at 04:46.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Steve,

I didn't mind the MOA trigger. It had no take up, no discernible (to me at least) creep, and was crisp. The only thing I didn't like was that it wouldn't turn down to the 3 lbs. Winchester says it will. I've heard there are lighter springs out there for it, so that's what I asked Steve to do to it.

I have a CDS dial on almost all of my Leupold scopes, but I never really thought about using two different dials. I'll have to consider that. Thanks for the idea!

Interesting to hear about the seating depth. In my Kimber 30-06 and my Ruger Frontier 300 WSM they liked to be farther back from the lands. I'll definitely play with seating depth when I get the gun back.

I decided on a coating for the stock. I'm going to go with Duracoat and I'm going to use the British DPM pattern shape, but use it with ACU colors. I think it should turn out nice.

I had the same issue with the trigger, it would only go so low. I did have Doug change out the spring and work it and it is now much improved. I still like how the Timneys feel, just a personal preference.

Projects, are always fun. Enjoy!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Second Update: The barrel, a 4 groove 1:10 twist stainless barrel from Lilja, has been ordered. Expected delivery is in 12 weeks.

Can't go wrong with Lilja. I have a SS .375 on order for similar project.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Second Update: The barrel, a 4 groove 1:10 twist stainless barrel from Lilja, has been ordered. Expected delivery is in 12 weeks.
    If you said I I didn't see it, staying 06 or moveing caliber?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I'm sticking with .30-06. How can you go wrong with an -06?

I'm sticking with .30-06. How can you go wrong with an -06?
    Well don't see how ya can and 10 twist will spin up heavy stuff well.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I am following this with interest as I am dropping my Extreme Weather .270 off for The Kid to re-barrel to a 30-06 and smooth up for me. He also recommended a Lilja.
    BEE

I chose Lilja, but was having second thoughts. Lilja flutes their barrels after final lapping, which a lot of experts will tell you is no good because of possible dimensional changes in the bore from the fluting and stress relief. Steve is fluting mine after he mounts the sights. I've read that fluting after final lapping is acceptable on a cut rifle barrel, like a Kreiger, so I considered calling him and asking him to change the order, but I'm gonna stick with it.

Good thread. I'll be following it as your build progresses! Did Steve give you a timeframe? Just curious on the turnaround time. I got a Faux EW build going myself. I wanted an EW 22-250 but no dice as they ain't offered, so went with a coyote light and doing a stock swap for the B&C stock that is found on the EW rifles. I need some white paint and some dies and talley rings but going everything else. Great rifles...

No, he didn't give me a time frame. I waited until this time of the year because it's normally the slower time of year for gunsmiths. But, I expect three months for the barrel, probably a month for the nitride coating, and a couple months for all of the work. I think 6 months is probably a good estimate. If it shows up sooner, then I'll be excited. If it's later, I'll be disappointed because I'd like to use it for spring black bear.

Here are some pictures of how I'm going to paint the stock. I'm going to use Duracoat's template for British DPM to get the shapes I want.

But, I'm going to replace the DPM colors with ACU and Colt Gray colors. tan>tan, black>colt gray, green>gray green, and brown>dark gray green.

I went with the ACU colors because it seems like a lot of today's most popular patterns are based off of grayish colors.

I put my order in for a Lilja barrel last month and it should get made and shipped in January. Quite a bit better than some other barrel makers.

Here's what I asked Steve to do:

Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS
    True bolt and action
    Lap bolt lugs
    Install Lilja barrel to same length and contour
    Install NECG Masterpiece banded front and pedestal rear sights with S-4 sight post and windowed hood
    Flute barrel
    Polish feed ramp

Nitride entire gun (which includes Burris Xtreme Tactical bases and Leupold 1" QRW rings)

I think I'm going to Cerakote or something similar the stock.
    I'd go with Cerakoting the gun, not the stock. Not exactly sure why you want to coat the stock anyway. A new custom look?

Is it the B&C stock with aluminum block? Yeah, I'd rebed it, but also have him check the barrel clearance to the stock. I'd bet theres some "bad touch" going on there.

And I do like the NEGC banded front sight idea! Do they make it in s/s or a silver finish? I'd go receiver peep myself.

Unless a "certain" barrel maker forges his steel and manufactures the tube right on site the blank will come from the same place the other barrel "makers" get theirs, in fact alot of smiths including outfits "we" refer to as barrel "makers" go in together to buy "lots" of barrel blanks to save money, that is a fact, not conjecture - call PacNor or Douglas or any of the others and ask the direct question ...... and they all, PacNor, Douglas and most all the rest will provide the blank, in various stages, to "your" barrelman or do it in house utilizing one of their own very capable smiths - it is no different than the old Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge truck argument ........

I have Cerakote on a gun and I've had teflon on a gun. I liked both, but wasn't 100% satisfied with either, so I'm trying something different with the nitriding. I'm Duracoating the stock just because I don't want everything black...vanity I guess.

Yes, it has the bedding block. The barrel was freefloated, but not straight in the channel, so he's correcting that.

Not sure if NECG does SS. I've had it on two rifles now and both were steel in the white when I got them. I've also had receiver peep and pedastal rear sigths and I've come to the conclusion that unless the receiver sight is a ghost ring I prefer the barrel mounted rear sight.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    I'd go with Cerakoting the gun, not the stock. Not exactly sure why you want to coat the stock anyway. A new custom look?

Is it the B&C stock with aluminum block? Yeah, I'd rebed it, but also have him check the barrel clearance to the stock. I'd bet theres some "bad touch" going on there.

And I do like the NEGC banded front sight idea! Do they make it in s/s or a silver finish? I'd go receiver peep myself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast