Thread: Marlin .22 Feed Problems

Default Marlin .22 Feed Problems

Have a Marlin 795 .22 that won't extract the last round fired, or won't feed the next round completely into the barrel. I polished the feed ramp and it seemed to help the feeding issue. The extracting issue still shows up occasionally. As far as I can tell the extracting claw doesn't fully grip the rim on the casing. Anyone else having these problems or have any solutions?

Never worked on a 795 but “won't extract the last round fired, or won't feed the next round completely into the barrel” sounds like a magazine issue. But some questions??

By “won't extract the last round fired” I assume you mean it doesn’t fully open/cycle the bolt? In other words it is extracting (case is still held by the extractor) but not cycling far enough to eject. And by “last round” do you mean last in the magazine full or simple the most recently fired round? The terms extract and eject are often confused. Extract refers to the round being “pulled” from the chamber by the extractor. Eject refers to the round being “pushed” out of the gun by the ejector.

The reason I suspect the magazine is that excessive follower spring pressure on the bottom of the bolt will cause both the conditions I think you are describing here If by last round you mean last from the mag. that’s certainly a mag issue, the follower dragging on the bolt real heavy . . . If anything other than that it would happen at other times too. Too much drag from the spring in the magazine slows down the bolt, it both opens slower and closed slower as the main spring trys to overcome the extra friction.

Chamber a round, remove the mag, fire the round without the mag in place and see if it ejects then. If it does that’s a huge clue the mag spring is too tight or the main spring too weak to overcome the mag spring or maybe a bit of both. 22 autos are notoriously hard to strike this spring balance with so they function with a the wide range of ammo . . . There isn’t a lot of extra energy in a 22 to be able to overcome springs so it’s a fine balancing act. This is a lot of why 22s usually have a tubular mag and Ruger used the rotary mag, they take a lot of friction off the bottom of the bolt.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks for the info. The gun seems to fail to extract the spent case, but feeds another round from the mag. Or it would extract the spent case, and the next round would hang up on the feed ramp. I polished the feed ramp and that seemed to eliminate most problems associated with not feeding the next round. To fully see how the gun extracted a case, I removed the stock and trigger assembly exposing the bottom of the bolt. The extracting claw on the right side occasionally slips off the rim. This doesn't happen all the time, but at least once every ten shots. I've tried different ammo and that doesn't seem to help at all. The most frustrating thing is that the gun is brand new. I think it has the mag issue you were talking about also. I'm going to look into that next.

Now that’s unusual, extractor dropping the case on a blow-back action. For that I’d suspect a chamber issue, like a big burr or the reamer somehow cut the front is larger than the back. Something stopping the movement of the case after it started the bolt moving back. I’m thinking with the case partly out of the chamber it encounters some extra drag, then tips to the side allowing the extractor past the rim.

Being it’s a new Marlin I’d advise you take it to Wild West and let Kid fix it under Marlin warrantee.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Just clarify a bit....
    Failure to Feed (Feeding problem) means the gun will not feed a fresh round from the magazine into the chamber.
    Failure to Fire means the round chambers, but does not fire.
    Failure to Extract means the action does not extract the empty (fired) case from the chamber.
    Failure to Eject means the action extracted the round from the camber but did not kick it clear of the action.

There are many other details of each of these failures that can lead us to the cause of the trouble but those are the general guide lines.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I don't think I really understand the problem but when the last round leaves a magazine, often the follower engages a hold open device to lock the action open after the magazine is empty. Some times the last round, follower hold open engagement adds just enough drag on the bolt to cause a failure generally in that the action, the bolt, won't fully travel rearward and this will trap an extracted case or prevent it from being fully extracted. Some 22's will float a round on the last load because of this. The round leaves the magazine and the follower pushes up on the bolt latch too soon.

Just some thinking out loud kind of stuff. 22's with F2F problems can be tricky. They are so simple but only when they work.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The extracting problem seems to be caused by the extracting claw slipping off the case of the rim. When I removed the trigger assembly, placed a round in the chamber and pulled the bolt back, I could watch the shorter of the two claws slip off the rim of the case. That would leave the round in the chamber, and another round attempting to be fed into the chamber. This didn't happen all the time or with any consistency. It would happen with a full mag, half a mag, or or sometimes the second to last round or last round.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

OK, the problem is the extractor/extractors. They must be under some spring tension or the extractor itself hasta spring over the cartridge rim.

Either the extractor doesn't fit the rim, or it's binding, At Times.

Clean it, lub it, and work it, and lub it again. Try it.

I'm glad I could help.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by stickshaker View Post
    The extracting problem seems to be caused by the extracting claw slipping off the case of the rim. When I removed the trigger assembly, placed a round in the chamber and pulled the bolt back, I could watch the shorter of the two claws slip off the rim of the case. That would leave the round in the chamber, and another round attempting to be fed into the chamber. This didn't happen all the time or with any consistency. It would happen with a full mag, half a mag, or or sometimes the second to last round or last round.
    Extractors and ejector can fail to produce the desired results because the angle isn't quite right. If there is a slight angle to an extractor, not 90 degrees with a crisp edge, it can slip over the rim. They will work sometimes sometimes not, dependent on the ammo rim shape. (which is never perfect either) On some guns the ejector, even a fixed ejector can fail to flip brass clear of the action because the angle isn't quite right.
    A careful study of parts and angles and some work with a file can fix (or make worse) either of these parts. It's usually $5 worth of work but $50 worth of knowledge. Sometimes replacing with new parts will still require the file touch up. If it's new, take it to your warranty repair shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    A careful study of parts and angles and some work with a file can fix (or make worse) either of these parts. It's usually $5 worth of work but $50 worth of knowledge. Sometimes replacing with new parts will still require the file touch up. If it's new, take it to your warranty repair shop.
    Yes, these things are tricky. There is no way to identify the problem over the internet, there are just far too many possibilities. Then even if we knew the issue the fix as Murphy says is easy but only if you know a long litany of little tricks usually learned from doing it wrong many times before ya get it right.

Best advice . . .Take it to Wild West and let them fix it under Marlin warrantee before you void it and go out of pocket.

Now, for theory sake why do I suspect a chamber issues?
    It’s somewhat odd that the extractor slip off a blow-back 22 action. In a blow-back the bolt is pushed back by the case . . . The extractor isn’t pulling the case from the chamber unless your ejecting an unfired live round. So, if the case is driving itself and the bolt back why would the extractor slip off and leave the case there? Well there must be something stopping or slowing down the case after it has started the bolt moving.

It is possible (though I don’t think likely) that the angles on the extractor and ejector are so wrong that they spit the case rim out before the case mouth clears the chamber. Knowing Marlins quality reputation lately I don’t doubt that the extractor and ejector angles are way off. But if the case is still in the chamber that means it never came all the way out, an empty isn’t likely to feed back in there. Now even if the ejector and extractor spit the rim, if the chamber is right the gases should blow the case out of the chamber and you’d have a stove pipe.

Yes there are other ways this condition can happen but first thing I suspect when a brand new 22 blow-back auto is leavening a round in the chamber is the chamber is holding onto it somehow. On a used gun that has worked in the past I suspect other things more but new gun I start thinking somebody cut a crap chamber.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks guys for all the info. I'm going to take it in and have it looked at. I'll let you know what happens.