Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: kings in ship??

Default kings in ship??

has anyone seen any kings trickling into ship yet??

I could be wrong, but ain't it way early still?

Default Early, yup...

There have been kings that arrive in the first week of May, but it won't been for another 2 weeks before there's a steady run developing.

couple people fishing it last weekend, didn't stick around to see if they caught anything but it looked like they were there for awhile so they might know something.

Default I heard....

One of my Colleuges went down last night and seen one roll at high tide? Don't know if he was pulling my leg or not....

I've been down looking (not fishing) and haven't seen any activity yet. Me thinks it's still too early.

I visited Ship Creek today for a good look see at low tide. The creek seemed abandoned, no one in site. I have seen Kings come in large schools around mid to late May, but right now it seems early. I am sure there are a few straglers right now though.

Default A few early for the die -hards

Usually one is caught the first week of May (which probably is the result of 40 plus hours of fishing per fish). Some Ship regulars claim they have caught fish in late April. the earliest I have seen a fish caught is the 10th. One hard-dedicated shipbum beleives the earliest ones are often 35# plus. I have seen nice numbers of hook-ups (on an early year) on May 15th; although usually good fishing starts around the first of June. Even then it is slow, but there are fewer crowds and it is a great time to be down there. If water temps are a little colder from this snowpack will it be later this year?

Is this an early year? Is there any way of knowing it before the fish arrive if it is going to be an early year or a late year?

Default Timing Kings

There is not a perfect correlation, but I tend to keep my ears open for when the ninilchick area saltwater troll-caught king fishing. It seems if the fishing is early there, it is more likely to run early in upper Cook inlet and vice-versa. Any reports on the Homer or ninilchick area yet?

Default No kings yet

I was down there for high tide this morning. No kings rolling. There still lots of ice along the edges and floating out on the tide. Another week I think.

couldn't believe this early though saw an old timer pull a king out of ship creek on the incoming tide by the bridge where the culverts used to be.

Default Fishing How?

AKBEAR-
    Successful fisherman flippin' or using bait? Thanks...

he was flippin, though what originally grabbed are attention is he was down in the mud with rubber waders on. we were wondering if we were going to have to call the fire dept for a rescue though he seemed to make it out o.k. he spent more time getting to the river and out then he did fishing. I'd say he was only at it 30 - 40 min. Made me think i might just have to give it a shot this weekend.

Default Here I GO!

I'm giving it a shot tomorrow on the incoming. I'll report back...

Quote Originally Posted by akbearhntr View Post
    he was flippin, though what originally grabbed are attention is he was down in the mud with rubber waders on. we were wondering if we were going to have to call the fire dept for a rescue though he seemed to make it out o.k. he spent more time getting to the river and out then he did fishing. I'd say he was only at it 30 - 40 min. Made me think i might just have to give it a shot this weekend.
    Lived in Alaska my whole life...never have made it to Ship Creek for Kings (grew up fishing Sout Fork, Eagle River) - Anyone have a favorite setup they want to share for success on that river

Thanks!!

Default Friday

So I flogged the water at Military Point as the tide came in this morning and then moved to the first bend below the new bridge till the tide forced me out. No hits, so sign of fish...

Default Nothing.

Just went down to the railroad bridge 30 minutes ago on the incoming tide (2 pm.) Saw 2 guys trying with no sign of kings...zip, zero, nothing.

Calflyer

Default report of a big un

Calflyer, you must have just missed it.
    Just had two people in my office who said as they were driving over the bridge someone was struggling to drag a 40-50 lber to their car.
    Now the weight could be anyones guess but they did confirm a nice one was just pulled out.

talking to a buddy of mine who works on the docks at northland said he didn't notice anything come out of the creek yet today though couple of boats in the bay trolling around at high tide and it looked to them that one of the boats pulled one in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast