Thread: Bivy Sack

Default Bivy Sack

Anyone got any good suggestions for a nice bivy sack? Something hopefully below $200 because i'm not really looking to get the fanciest name brand sack. Just something that does the job well. I'll mostly be using it for snowboarding in the spring when it starts to warm up but i'm sure it will see the occasional hunting trip too.

At 7.2 oz. you can't beat this gortex bivy from Montbell. It retails for $175 from Montbell but you can shop around and get it at a better price. I've had mine for about 8 years and it's great.

www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2321024

I have been using TI Goat bivy's for years I have both the Raven and Ptarmigan models and my sleeping bags are always in one.

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Bivy.html
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I use the OR , ran me about 180, its 5 years old, and packs up nicely. i chose it because it was roomy enough to go from a fall bag to a winter bag
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Another vote for OR. I have the Aurora, definitely not the lightest but it is durable and I have slept without a tent in pouring rain and been dry. And the warranty can't be beat as well. I got mine for $145 to the door off Amazon.

The Army issue ones are good for the money, just not super light weight. I use these when weight is not an issue and the price is right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-USGI...item19d712c262
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Hilleberg Bivanorak. Very versatile.

I have an Army issue Goretex one, but it weighs 2 lbs. If the weight isn't an issue, it's a good bag and I've seen them sold surplus for $50.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Keep an eye for them on ebay for GI issue gore tex. I bought 7 awhile back for $18 each and free shipping. I have them in my vehicle survival kits including the airplane. Heavy but for my use they are hard to beat!! I've only used them a couple times but they function as designed.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Do you guys find condensation to be a problem when using a bivy bag? I'm thinking of using one for a spike camp with a 6x8 tarp. Good idea or no?

Default Bivy Sack

I found condensation at my feet after 3 days using the TiGoat Raven.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed