Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sotar strike

Default Sotar strike

kinda quiet here lately,
    so here is a photo of a 12' sotar strike I picked up at Merlin Or. this fall.
    thanks out to sotar and the super sweet ladies at orange torpedo for the shuttle and the frame and gear they would not rent us but would kindly let us borrow to float a section of the rogue. Still trying to get the frame and dry boxes done. Will post photos as work progresses.

That's a great looking boat! Thanks for sharing. Deff a sturdy frame option ready for some white water.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    That's a great looking boat! Thanks for sharing. Deff a sturdy frame option ready for some white water.
    Thanks,
    I have set the rowing station on a cat to the stern before and did not care for it but this stern frame worked vey well on this boat. The strike has a good bit of rocker in it and spins easily rowing from the stern

I have 2 13'6" in stock Dark blue and green here in anchorage. as well as a 14'6" if any one would like to take a look.
    Am in Louisiana for the the next week, but have one on a trailer with my own frame in A-town.
    Goo
    sotaralaska@yahoo.com

That is a sharp looking boat. No doubt you will enjoy it. I bought two 'used' (brand new looking) Sotars from Goo. My first was about 4 years ago, a blue 14.5 foot bucket. Got a 10 foot tan self bailer Sotar on a truck now heading to NC. Just can't say enough good things about my experience with Sotar boats. Had a really tough float on the Kwethluk in Sept, bad weather, blown river, debris field, etc.. Was sure glad I had my Sotar. It fared far better than I did on this 100 mile toilet bowl flushing. These suckers are tough. Bounced off root balls and such, hit a few beaver trimmings, and got it home to NC, washed it, not a scratch.

-Dan

Thanks Dan,
    I sold a 14 footer with a drop stitch floor I got from goo to help pay for this one.
    I got to float part of the rogue in Oregon and the north fork of the flathead in Montana this fall, so the enjoyment has began.
    I can barely wait for spring. This is the third sotar I have owned and like you I have nothing but good to say about all of them.
    The reason I went to a 12 footer was to shave about 50 pounds so it is a lot easier for my wife and I to carry around sweepers and log jams.
    The other benefit I was not ready for is how crazy nimble this boat is. What a treat.

10-4 on nimble. That is why I bought the 10 footer. Some remote floats of 7 days or less with 2 people and gear. For sure the right boat for a solo float trip. Fishing the Upper Kenai in Sept. With this boat, we can throw it in the bed of a standard rental truck from the airport. With our larger boat, we have to rent a trailer, easy to do from Max at Alaska Canoe and Campground in Sterling. But the price is from the truck with a hitch to pull the trailer. There are only a few available and they are $100/day from RV rental places. The 'normal' rental trucks ($350/week) from Enterprise and such don't have a hitch.

Then there are numerous rivers in the Smoky Mountains of NC, day trips and such. There is great utility in having a nimble boat as you say. Also, Goo sent me a motor mount so I can put a 3-4 HP on the back and fish the middle Kenai for silvers. Perhaps a motor I will use for long slow floats like the Kobuk, Holitna, etc.. Just so versatile in it's application. Love my 14.5' Sotar, a great boat for extended float trips. But I am super excited about the 10 footer.

Pic of my boat coming this week. A pic Goo sent, he was showing me some oar arms. I got a custom 4 piece breakdown frame for my other Sotar from Riverboat Works in Salida,Colorado. I had the frame maker do some custom length cross bars, a lightweight fly in rectangle frame, just smaller to fit this boat as well as the larger Sotar. Had Sawyer make some shorter middle sections for my custom 3 piece Pole Cats. This way I got one frame and one set of oars, with interchangeable parts depending on whether I am using the 14.5 footer or the 10 footer.

Very nice Dan,
    That is sweet you can use the same oars and frame for two boats of big size difference, great engineering.

Got the frame and dry boxes coated with monstaliner,
    Now need to float it to see where to cut the oar towers.

They're a dern fine product.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Oyster do you have total weight for the frame you are showing? Just wishing to know no other particular reason.

BMR

Nice ride alaskahippie,
    What model and size is it?
    Looks like you are set up great for fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by oyster View Post
    Nice ride alaskahippie,
    What model and size is it?
    Looks like you are set up great for fishing.
    14' Elite, we build the frames ourselves, and yep they feesh well. Both of those photos where from the Goodnews last season.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I will have the 13'6" and the 14'6" STRIKE on display at the sportsman show at a very discounted price. Come take a look-- Also the new milled frames. Handles better than any raft I have used over 30+ years of rowing them all.
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Oyster do you have total weight for the frame you are showing? Just wishing to know no other particular reason.

BMR
    I set the boxes, frame and oar towers on a bathroom scale and it read 64#,
    I set the boxes on it and it read 33# for the pair,
    I weighed the oar towers and cobra locks on a digital scale and got 4# apiece.
    I calculated the tubing in the frame and got 18# with out the coating,
    So that would put the frame with towers and locks at 26# with out coating or welds.
    Just for reference;
    1 1/4 schedule 40 6061 pipe .778# per foot,
    1" emt .67# per foot,
    1 1/4" x 1/8" 6063 square tube .662# per foot.
    None of this is very accurate, but the best I can do.
    Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    14' Elite, we build the frames ourselves, and yep they feesh well. Both of those photos where from the Goodnews last season.
    Boy o Boy would I like to make a trip out there,
    Great job on the frames.

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    I will have the 13'6" and the 14'6" STRIKE on display at the sportsman show at a very discounted price. Come take a look-- Also the new milled frames. Handles better than any raft I have used over 30+ years of rowing them all.
    Goo
    Hey, Goo,
    What about the milled frames?
    Any pics or details?
    Or does a fella have to wait for the show?

Brian . at ALASKA RAFT CONNECTIONS, is having them made, by a really good trigger company . I will have a sample of one at the show. Or You can contact him at 907-250-2271. I have Built a couple thousand frames in the last 30+ years and really like these.
    Goo Vogt
    ALASKA WILDWATER
    sotaralaska@yahoo.com
    907-345-4308

And for a little luxury, seat mounts.

Oyster- Looks great- I Love mine!! Still have a 13'6" and 14' 6" STRIKE, new for sale here in Anch. At the sports show prices.
    Goo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast