Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 500 Maximum Article

Default 500 Maximum Article

Here's a great article by Lee over at http://www.singleactions.com. Hands-on, real world experience and results. Not just an afternoon of shooting by some gun-rag author with a "loaner gun" doing a review. It a great read. He also talks 500 Linebaugh. For those who don't know, the 500 Max/500 Linebaugh Long is a lengthened 500 Linebaugh. These are .510 bore handguns.

Enjoy!
    http://www.singleactions.com/500Maximum.html
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Awesome read...thanks for the post. Nasty looking SRH in there.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Awesome read...thanks for the post. Nasty looking SRH in there.
    That revolver used to be mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    That revolver used to be mine!
    Well....tell me more man.

Did you run the factory barrel and go with a complete new cylinder?

I doubt that I would ever have it built but it sounds very good compared to a Smith 500...their frames are just stupid big to contain the high pressures. If one could have the thump without the pressure it would be quite the machine.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

...If one could have the thump without the pressure it would be quite the machine.
    And that's exactly why John Linebaugh made the 475 and 500 Linebaughs. .475-.510 400gr-525gr slugs at 1100-1500fps in a Ruger Blackhawk. And the 500L is a 30-35,000 psi round. Whitworth and a few other guys around here can tell you all about em. They've been having them made and have shooting them for years. He shoots with Lee who wrote that article and owns that beautiful 500L max built by Huntington and just finished his book, Big-Bore Revolvers http://www.amazon.com/Big-Bore-Revol.../dp/1440228566.

My first 500L is with John Gallagher now. Should be done this spring/summer. Here's a "before" pic. It will be a 5.5 inch octagon, new model flat top bisley 500L. It's gonna be a long winter wait!

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default costs...

The curse of the conversions is their extremely high costs - just "stupid big".

The S&Ws are the affordable guns for the masses that can't or don't want to spend over $2000 for a custom large bore revolver. And like 'em or lump 'em, the quality and workmanship on the S&Ws is darn good - flat surfaces are flat with well defined corners, metal to metal joints show no gaps, and even the insides of the frames are well finished - they are a lot of gun for the money.

Well....tell me more man.

Did you run the factory barrel and go with a complete new cylinder?

I doubt that I would ever have it built but it sounds very good compared to a Smith 500...their frames are just stupid big to contain the high pressures. If one could have the thump without the pressure it would be quite the machine.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

They are not that expensive. For me a revolver deserves personal touches that simply make them better and make them mine and better suited to me. This applies to Smith & Wessons as well. I knew you would have to make some sort of thinly veiled dig. My customs are a whole lot more gun than stock S&Ws.

I have no dig with custom firearms of any make other than the high cost - perhaps I'm just cheap? But, to each his own - that is what makes the workd interesting.

I've only got a few guns that I bought new; the rest I picked up used, most of the time at a substantial reduction from retail costs. For example, I believe I paid around $700 each for my S&W .500 and .460 and the last two Ruger Redhawk .45s I bought. Heck, if I ever run across a good deal on a nice conversion I'd love to buy it also, but $2000+ is just excessive to me for what you get. I will end up with close to $1000 in my Redhawk .454 but that is still less than $2000 for a rather unique handgun that fills a nich not offered by any factory.

They are not that expensive. For me a revolver deserves personal touches that simply make them better and make them mine and better suited to me. This applies to Smith & Wessons as well. I knew you would have to make some sort of thinly veiled dig. My customs are a whole lot more gun than stock S&Ws.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

A custom anything is just that.... CUSTOM. It has nothing to do with "$$ vs practicality" Can one compare a bone stock, factory built car to a customized street rod? No!.... they are two totally different animals other than they both have 4 tires a steering wheel and will drive down the street. Oh, and the custom will cost a LOT more....Apples and oranges.

Redhawks, Super Redhawks, N and X frames are a dime a dozen and can be purchased at Walmart. My custom 500L will be a one of a kind, as is any custom. John Gallagher cut the octagon barrel with integral ERH lug and sight base from a blank. He supplies custom ocatagon barrels to a few other big name gunsmiths. He will enlarge and true the frame window, line bore a new oversize 5 shot cylinder, fit it to the gun, block and tune the action. He will hand fit the gripframe to the New Model 50th anniversary flat top and and make and handfit custom grips from Dall Sheep horn I picked up in the Brooks Range on my last sheep hunt. He will install a Bowen custom rear sight and a custom front sight blade(s) the integral sight base takes DX blades. It will be a total custom and cost as much as 3 new x-frames and you know what?? I don't care! to me it will be 10X the gun.

No, one cannot compare a handmade custom to an off the shelf production ANYTHING!

Snyd:
    I appreciate anything hand made or customized (even if it is not my personal taste) and I certainly understand wanting such a handgun. People have different tastes and many here would think I am a nut for spending what I do on custom knives. I have no desire for a handgun like that but I sure do like reading about them and would appreciate a pic posted when you get it back! Happy shooting.
    B

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    A custom anything is just that.... CUSTOM. It has nothing to do with "$$ vs practicality" .....My custom 500L will be a one of a kind, as is any custom. John Gallagher cut the octagon barrel with integral ERH lug and sight base from a blank. He supplies custom ocatagon barrels to a few other big name gunsmiths. He will enlarge and true the frame window, line bore a new oversize 5 shot cylinder, fit it to the gun, block and tune the action. He will hand fit the gripframe to the New Model 50th anniversary flat top and and make and handfit custom grips from Dall Sheep horn I picked up in the Brooks Range on my last sheep hunt. He will install a Bowen custom rear sight and a custom front sight blade(s) the integral sight base takes DX blades.
    Snyd, it sounds like a beautiful, functional revolver. I look forward to its completion for the pics and field reports.

No, one cannot compare a handmade custom to an off the shelf production ANYTHING!
    Couldn't agree more.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

A custom anything is just that.... CUSTOM. It has nothing to do with "$$ vs practicality" Can one compare a bone stock, factory built car to a customized street rod? No!.... they are two totally different animals other than they both have 4 tires a steering wheel and will drive down the street. Oh, and the custom will cost a LOT more....Apples and oranges.

Redhawks, Super Redhawks, N and X frames are a dime a dozen and can be purchased at Walmart. My custom 500L will be a one of a kind, as is any custom. John Gallagher cut the octagon barrel with integral ERH lug and sight base from a blank. He supplies custom ocatagon barrels to a few other big name gunsmiths. He will enlarge and true the frame window, line bore a new oversize 5 shot cylinder, fit it to the gun, block and tune the action. He will hand fit the gripframe to the New Model 50th anniversary flat top and and make and handfit custom grips from Dall Sheep horn I picked up in the Brooks Range on my last sheep hunt. He will install a Bowen custom rear sight and a custom front sight blade(s) the integral sight base takes DX blades. It will be a total custom and cost as much as 3 new x-frames and you know what?? I don't care! to me it will be 10X the gun.

Exactly. You either get it, or you don't.

Default not knocking anything...

Not knocking custom any custom gun - I appreciate the heck outta them, and own a few custom rifles (built for others) but they just aren't worth it to ME - but that is just ME. To each his own. I'll certainly enjoying seeing how yours turns out - keep us up to date.

Actually, though, I haven't found even custom guns to equal the fit and finish of the nicer pre-war production guns of the better manufacturer's - Colt, S&W, Winchester, Remington, JP Sauer, Merkle, Purdy, H&H, Greener, Webly, etc. Those guys back then just had the time and touch that has never been equaled. However, todays guns are of better material and more precise - but they just don't look as nice when you look really really close.

Then they are not a very well-made custom if that is the case.

Default Can't be equaled?

I've examined a lot of custom guns by a lot of makers over the last decades - but I still haven't found any that match the attention to detail on that showed by the gunmakers of old. Perhaps it could be done - but I think very few could afford them and I'm not sure the craftsmen of today can hold a candle to those old guys - it was a different world then. For example, my 1936 Merkle drilling makes the even the best high dollar Merkles of today look kinda sad when you really look at the details. Yea- the new Merkles look nice but when you really look close and examine the details - the new ones fall short. Same way for my pre-war Colts and S&Ws - there was an attention to detail even on the hidden surfaces that guns of today just don't have. Even the early Rugers, esp. the Ruger No. 1s were much better fitted and finished that those of today.

That being said - the modern guns are much better functionally. Better materials, better tolerences on machining etc. For actual use, perhaps some of the better custom guns are the best overall compromise as the fit, finish, and utility.

Then they are not a very well-made custom if that is the case.

I remember when you didn't even know who John Linebaugh was/is and now you are an expert yep an "ex" "spert self proclaimed that is

A new Freedom Arms Premier grade with an octagon barrel and a trigger job will set you back almost $3,000 and there is a 6 month build time to get one. I say there are plently of shooters willing to pay the price for quality work in todays economy. Todays current crop of custom big bore revolver builders are light years ahead of what was produced in the past. Just cycle the action of one and you will know what I am talking about. I am a huge S&W fan and freely admit they are no where near the build quality of a custom or Freedom Arms. They are not in the same price league either.
    Nope, a custom revolver is not for everyone. But for the few shooters who save their pennies and wait 6 months to 3 years they are worth there weight in gold.

Snowwole is spot on......

and handfit custom grips from Dall Sheep horn I picked up in the Brooks Range on my last sheep hunt.
    I can only hope that you will get at least a little carving done on them before it's all over and done with. Maybe just a small spot with your initials...???

It will be a 5.5 inch octagon, new model flat top bisley 500L. It's gonna be a long winter wait!

For me too...!!!.......lol. Can't wait to see this thing...

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I can only hope that you will get at least a little carving done on them before it's all over and done with. Maybe just a small spot with your initials...???
    Yes I've thought about it. I haven't looked in to cost yet and I'd want to find someone local. I have a couple ideas and artists in mind but I'll wait until I have the gun in hand before I decide.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast