Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's stand is this?

Default Who's stand is this?

I was out walking by Jim Lake and found this tree stand. I'm thinking it's a bait stand since there didn't seem to be any place to shoot more than maybe 50yards. Anyone recognize it?

I have seen that out there as well. There are quite a few of those built out by Jim lake. We used one this year, a bit rickety but it worked.

Default Re: Who's stand is this?

Alright, Thanks

sent from my igloo

Default Who's stand is this?

I dont have a say in stabds that stay up sinceI dont bait but since those stands normally have to come down, what would a Trooper say if you were seen using it?

Might wanna avoid that or you could be pinned for having to remove it.

Just a thought tho.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I'd ask him to prove that it was mine? Idk Lol

sent from my igloo

I would use it and take the chance of having a Trooper tell me to remove it. Just means I end up with some wood to build a stand in another location or build another project.

The main issue at hand is that it is illegal to leave any stand up after the required dates to have all of the equipment removed from the field. I guess you could always say it is jut a play house or your man-hang-out-spot....? I agree with TWB, personally I wouldnt take the chance of having that pinned on me. I'd steer clear of it and just remember where it is and go back during spring bear baiting and find out who it is that didnt take it down and approach them, and chances are that the troopers are already aware of its presence.

Do you have a link to the law about no permanent stands? I don't remember reading it and not sure where to look.

sent from my igloo

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...iting_regs.pdf
    Page 2, second sentence. It's not that you can't put up that kind of stand, it is completely legal as far as my understanding goes, but, as a hunter using it for bear baiting, it still legally has to be taken down by the last day of the baiting season.

OK, that's clear for bear baiting.
    What if I used one for a moose stand?

sent from my igloo

Check with the landowner regarding temp/permanent structures on their property.

It's off the end of the maud extension a ways. Is there any private land back there?

sent from my igloo

Was there any evidence of bear baiting? Barrel, game camera, lots of bear feces?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    It's off the end of the maud extension a ways. Is there any private land back there?

sent from my igloo
    If it's state land.. check with the landowner.

If it's federal land.. check with the landowner.

If it's private land ... check with the landowner.

Got GPS coordinates? Would help distinguish the location from a place say in Kentucky.

Let's say the structure is on private/public land. Then if it's considered a seasonally occupied cabin (it does have a roof), then no bear baiting within 1 mile. There are exceptions to that depending on where this is actually at.

If the landowners requirements prohibit permanent structures (eg allows camping but requires campers to move their camps after so many days).

I look forward to your follow-up.

Im pretty sure no matter what animal or season, stands or structures are still supposed to be taken down at the end of a season. Best thing to do is check land ownership and ask a fish and wildlife officer.

Wetenuf,
    Maud Rd. is in Palmer in case your not familiar with the area.
    There is some Corporation land on the left side as you drive in but I am not sure how far back it goes. I would imagine it ends where the posted signs stop. Otherwise I'm thinking it is mostly state land.
    And no, it's obviously not a "seasonal occupied cabin". It's a treestand.

Really, who cares who's it is? Why are you pursuing this Cowboy?
    There are lots of stands all over Alaska that don't get taken down every year.....
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Wetenuf,
    Maud Rd. is in Palmer in case your not familiar with the area.
    There is some Corporation land on the left side as you drive in but I am not sure how far back it goes. I would imagine it ends where the posted signs stop. Otherwise I'm thinking it is mostly state land.
    And no, it's obviously not a "seasonal occupied cabin". It's a treestand.

There are lots of stands all over Alaska that don't get taken down every year.....
    BK
    The only reason I care is I don't want to be found liable for any stand, if I happen to be in it when a brown shirt shows up. I'm not saying I would be using this one, but like you said, there are lots of stands that don't get taken down.

I didn't realize there could be legal ramifications to using a permanent stand and just want to make sure I'm 100% in the right no matter what.

Bkmail, troopers consider even a man-made platform (even if it has been abdondoned for years and years) to be an object that you must be at least a mile away from in order to set up a bear baiting station. this happened to me in my last area I baited, someone back in the fifties or sixties made a platform for a cabin and never developed anything on it, when I went in to register my station, I asked a trooper about it and he said i must be a mile away from it, or that i needed to contact the land owner (which i found funny because it was on state land and obviously abandoned) and dispose of the platform.

AkRecurve,
    I understand what your saying about a dwelling/building, etc.... and being a mile away, that's clear.
    How anyone could interpret this pic as a "dwelling" and not a stand would be a long stretch and I would challenge them to "live" in this "structure" pictured for a winter.

"I asked a trooper about it and he said i must be a mile away from it, or that i needed to contact the land owner (which i found funny because it was on state land and obviously abandoned) and dispose of the platform."
    To me it sounds like the F&G classifies 50 year old abandon trash in the woods as a dwelling on state land and they were looking to you to clean it up, from your post above.

If this is the case, then you would have to be a mile away from your bait pile if you put anything other than a leaning or climbing stand.

Cowboy,
    I'm still confused about your stance on this....your concerned about a brown shirt finding it and linking it to you yet you never sat in it....am I missing something here?

I'm not trying to raise any hackles but I guess I'm missing the big picture here.
    The intent of the law is to keep a hunter from baiting near a populated area, pretty sensible and simple I think. To read more into it than that the brown shirt either has lost common sense or is twisting the law to write a ticket.

Again, my opinion, but I really wouldn't worry about a stand on gov't land that I have never sat in or intend to sit in.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    BK

+1 It never ceases to amaze me on folks who stir the pot. If anyone should care it would be the land owner. If he/she cared and spent time on their land, they would know it and do something about it, if not then so be it.

I guess the way I see it if you feel like using it do so.
    But be aware if you are caught in it by a leo you may be asked to take it down and remove the debris as you have no way to prove you did not build it yourself.
    Also you may fnd the builder of said stand show up and they could make a fuss about you using "Their" stand and cause you some grief.
    Personally I don't like to see these types of stands on public land as they are an eyesore and seldom if ever removed.
    Also stands like this can be sketchy because you do not know how old they are and who or how they built it.
    I would hate to see anyone fall and get injured using a stand like this.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast