Thread: First check of the year

Default First check of the year

Was a beautiful clear and sunny weekend but very cold. -38 at the cabin when we woke and warmed to -27 by afternoon. Picked up a nice big male with white toes in the first set on the line. This set has caught several cats in years past.

Trying to hide...

Here is another cat we picked up that is an example why you should wait at LEAST Dec to target lynx. Notice the nice spotted belly but also notice how much red is still in the coloring...

Perfect foot catch..

Also caught a nice red fox but camara was shut down due to the cold. Heres where a couple of wolves came off the lake up to a ridge right behind the cabin. These two wolves have been driving me crazy for years. They come thru usually only once a year but skipped last year for some reason. I figured another trapper got them but looks like they are back. The hit the shore and ridge in the exact same spot every time. I now have a few pee sets and a doz snares waiting..

Congrats on a good first run. I sure enjoy looking at these trapping pics as it reminds me of when I was a kid growing up in northern Minnesota and running my trapline. The second picture of the lynx where he is staring out from the brush looks like he has a fang showing. I think it is just a twig as I don't think lynx have that large of a fang. I sure hope you can get one or both of those wolves on of these years.

Nice Steve! I'd take a quarter of that snow you have. We are brown out here.

I wish you would come back to Tman and post there.

gl- diffently a fang showing. This old cat had a HUGE set of chompers and was non to happy when we showed up. Love seeing them bounce around at a set long before you get to it. I believe the wolves are a very smart pair. Rarely do I seen their tracks out in the open. In fact one year when we had a ton of snow, I seen where they skirted around a huge lake thru the brush never using a trail. I think they have possible been shot at or in a pack that has. They do the airial wolf shoot not but 10 miles from me. One of these years...

Kusko- Can't get on T-man from here at work and I am never on the computer at home. Miss you too bud,lol! Good luck this year, take them kids trapping!

Nice job Steve! Sorry I didn't get you over to Bob's before I left for King Cove. I should be back between the 15th & 21st, so I'll give you a call when I get in, and we'll go over there. I hope those wolves come back and you get into them. Later...

Ted
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

Steve, Looks like you guys are off to another good year have fun and stay warm out there
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it