Thread: otter toilets

Default otter toilets

Well i missed an otter in my snare so i readjusted it and i learned a few things this week so i will be going back out and readjusting the snares again so i dont have them slip through any more of my sets. But i thought i would show you guys what i am setting on. In the one picture there is no human tracks they are all otter tracks going across a beaver pond.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	otter toilet 1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	66069Click image for larger version. 

Name:	otter toilet 2.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	66070

why are my pictures not showing up very big when i click on them?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfever1 View Post
    why are my pictures not showing up very big when i click on them?
    What is your camera set at when you are taking your photos? It could be just as simple as increasing the resolution in your camera in the settings. That sure is alot of otter sign. Hope you get a couple of them.

I took the picture with the highest resolution on my android phone. then i emailed the picture to myself to get the pictures on the computer then i attached them here. Do i need to re-size because these little pictures do not show the otter sign as well as they do when i pull them up on my emailed version to myself.

I cant tell from the photos real well, but is there a good place to use a conibear at that location?

It looks like a set where the otter is not likely to drown after the catch, snaring otter can be tricky from what I understand, they like to fight by spinning and spinning and then breaking snare cable. I have been told that lots of swivels in an otter snare are a good thing.

I'm not trying to lecture you, I hope it doesnt sound that way. I've only ever caught otters in Conibears and they can still put up a heck of a fight on dry land. Ive even had them twist off 3/32" cable anchoring the conibear.

dkwarthog there is a place on the slide that i put a 220 conibear. I made the mistake of not looking at the conibears after i bought them to check them over when i took them out on the line this saturday. Out of six traps i only had one that i could use. So i set it up in the slide. When i get my others up and triggers put on then i will be placing them in the otter trails leading to the ponds and in the creek in one spot. I only put up a couple snares with swivels attached to try it out. One otter got away but the next one will not be so lucky i hope. On the toilets i set #3 double coils with i think 3 swivels on each trap. i have 11 sets out total for these otters in about a 1/3 mile stretch of beaver ponds. where the picture is i have footholds on every toilet i found. i have one conibear on a slide and i have a couple footholds siting in the water at the bottom of the slides. as well as a couple of snares on the slides. I set the area really heavy hoping to catch a couple of them in one check. next week i plan on getting out my other conibears with the new triggers put on them.

Sounds like you got it covered
    Good luck..