Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guided Kodiak Bear - No Hunters?

Default Guided Kodiak Bear - No Hunters?

So I am finally putting in my tags and was looking at the Kodiak hunts and checking to see the chances of drawing. Out of the guided hunts on Kodiak, 12 of them had no applicants for the hunts. What gives there? Was there some circumstance I am unaware of that shut down certain hunts? If not, why give guides tags if they can't fill the hunts? Makes sense to me to open them up to residents if they are just sitting unused. Or pass the hunts onto another guide to book if they can get hunters. I know it's federal land and they have consessions but man what a shame.

Thoughts?
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

multiple guides have multiple areas but don't use all their areas every year, spreads them to thin. so some of the areas just sit each year or so and don't get hunted by nonresident hunters. waste of tags and areas if you ask me.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Its interesting that so many guides under utilize their large exclusive areas on fed lands when guides are tripping over one another on state lands and some are clamouring for state consessions. What I find more appalling is that of the 3 res tags for Deadman Bay this fall no one showed up.

As a non-resident going to Kodiak it is not a cheap hunt. Airfare to Anchorage then Kodiak and then to the guide area. Outfitter fees, hunting license fees. Taxidermy costs. I think with the economy, many are choosing cheaper hunts to do.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Or, non-hunters are applying and getting drawn for the tags so they won't be used

The scenario the OP has brought up is "nobody" applied for the tags, so the tags were not used by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaniks View Post
    Or, non-hunters are applying and getting drawn for the tags so they won't be used

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    waste of tags and areas if you ask me.
    Oh God forbid......don't say that...!!! People get pissed off around here when you talk about wasting tags.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

lol true 4mer....
    If there is one bear hunt that i have no trouble selling its kodiak brown bear, the demand is unreal for kodiak bear tags right now. i'd bet ya that about 80% of the emails i get are for kodiak bear hunts. then again, i'm about 8 grand cheaper than some of the guides down there.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    lol true 4mer....
    If there is one bear hunt that i have no trouble selling its kodiak brown bear, the demand is unreal for kodiak bear tags right now. i'd bet ya that about 80% of the emails i get are for kodiak bear hunts. then again, i'm about 8 grand cheaper than some of the guides down there.
    I believe that^^^... I dont think the economy effects the a-typical guy who books a hunt on Kodiak too much even at the 20k + mark.. Most Guys I know have no trouble filling their slots there or even the fed areas on the peninsula for that matter... Hard to say why but I tend to agree with your first post more then any thing but heck you think the residents would be dieing to get tags in that area and after this thread I am sure folks will be looking for them.... but then again 3 no shows for residents in deadman is pretty bad

Quote Originally Posted by mekaniks View Post
    I'm pretty sure you have to have a guide agreement in place for those tags? Is that right Jake?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I'm pretty sure you have to have a guide agreement in place for those tags? Is that right Jake?
    Doug simple answer is yes. Fed areas are a little different those non res tags with an exception or two are a guarantee for that guide since they are exclusive guide areas

There are separate draw numbers for residents or non-residents hunting with 2nd degree of kin and non-residents hunting with guide. The hunts in question here are the non-residents hunting with a guide.

The way I understand it is some of these areas are exclusive guide areas (one guide in the area). You have to have a guide agreement before applying for the tag. So...if like Jake said way up top...if the guide doesn't want to hunt it that year....nobody applies for the tags and they aren't used. For that matter, most all of those tags have very high success rates. Look in the supplement. Al of the numbers up around 100%...those are the tags. Not too many places you see that.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    There are separate draw numbers for residents or non-residents hunting with 2nd degree of kin and non-residents hunting with guide. The hunts in question here are the non-residents hunting with a guide.

The way I understand it is some of these areas are exclusive guide areas (one guide in the area). You have to have a guide agreement before applying for the tag. So...if like Jake said way up top...if the guide doesn't want to hunt it that year....nobody applies for the tags and they aren't used. For that matter, most all of those tags have very high success rates. Look in the supplement. Al of the numbers up around 100%...those are the tags. Not too many places you see that.
    Yeah pretty much. The 100% is again because those tags for the most part are gauranteed the that guides clients. So whoever he puts in will get that tag. Yes there are some exceptions and not all exclusive fed areas are limited to one guide either. The areas in question I assume are single guide exclusive areas

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    Its interesting that so many guides under utilize their large exclusive areas on fed lands when guides are tripping over one another on state lands and some are clamouring for state consessions. What I find more appalling is that of the 3 res tags for Deadman Bay this fall no one showed up.

Ive been puting in for this bay since 2002.. Yet to draw.. Applied again this year as well, both fall and spring this time with all other years being the spring draw hunt time..
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

They underutilized guide tags should be given out on a first come basis to residents like some other tags are when nobody puts in for them. One more BOG proposal to write up.

maybe some of the guides are just giving their area a break....

I am quite surprised. I have guided on Kodiak for a couple of different outfits, both of them topnotch in my opinion. One of them left one of his permits unused, due to the fact it was in a low density bear area and the probability of taking a second large male in this area was questionable. I feel he deserves a lot of credit for this. The fact that 12 permits were unused is surprising, though. However, most of the guiding operaters that I am familiar with on kodiak are professionals that operate in an exemplary manner and I trust there must be a good explanation for this. That being said, making those unused permits available to residents is a-ok with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    maybe some of the guides are just giving their area a break....

You can only have so many monster bears in one area. If you shoot a bunch every year; you will eventually run out of trophy bears. Kodiak is regulated for trophy bears. It is in a guide's best interest to not shoot out his area. Any respectable guide will not shoot out his area.

It is NOT a waste of tags. It is good ethics and guides acting responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by AFHunter View Post
    It is NOT a waste of tags. It is good ethics and guides acting responsibly.

not exactly sure why you quoted me as I agree with you.. I know and/or worked for several responsible guides that would hahe no problem giving thier areas a break...

shoot out an area....could someone tell me how you do that? you'd have to shoot out the island, the areas are small. and its just like sheep hunting your scrapin' the cream off the top, more will rise to the surface. shoot a trophy bear this year, next year there will be another one, the year after that, the year after that. shooting non trophy bears is what damages an area....then you have no trophy stock left to grow up and fill in the blanks...
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast