Thread: Getting started

Default Getting started

My wife and I will be arriving in Fairbanks in January or Feb, I am not concerned with getting a line out this year, but I want to know how I would go about establishing a line in the area? I want to make sure I am not intruding but at the same time, if it is anything like down here, if you try to ask someone, their line covers every place I ask about! I was hoping to team up with a trapper that might like help on his line next fall, and pick up the knowledge of the area. I will have my own snow machine, 12 330's, 12 MB750's, 30 220's, 60 #3's, 60 #2's, and 24 110's. I have been trapping since childhood in the Northern Lower and UP of Michigan, I regularly take coyote, bobcat, fox, otter, beaver, mink, and have taken fisher and marten, I am also in pretty good shape after a decade in the Marine Corps as a grunt. Any suggestions on how to start or anyone wanting help next year please chime in Thanks

65 views and no responses huh? Did I forget to mention I'll split costs and provide the beer?

Supporting Member

Try contacting the Alaska Trappers Association in Fairbanks for more info. They also have a website that you might find useful. I'm sure you'll find someone to partner up with once you get here. Good luck!

If I had a quarter ( inflation ) for everytime I've seen one of these posts lol, some guys have gotten burned from doing this so I'm not surprised at the hesitation. If your looking for something to do I can put you to work helping me cut some new trail, traplines here are cut so be prepared to cut miles of trail and if your looking for an area you will be hard pressed to find one at least within 100 miles of Fairbanks unless maybe you just want a few miles then it's possible. Took me three years to find one and I'll be passing that one to a friend as I'm working on a new one.

I figured there would be hesitation, I understand that. I will wait until I am up there then. I appreciate your offer thunder chicken I will take you up on that.

Took me a few years of scouting to find two spots i'm trapping this year. They are in between several other trappers, small pockets can definately be found but your going to probably have to find them on your own, doubtfull you'll find anyone that will give them up on-line, just too many people asking. Thats how it is down here anyway.

I would sell the #2's and 110's while your down there and maybe buy some #1's and 120's, #3's are good for cats and most trappers use snares for canines. #1 longsprings and 120's are the preferred trap for marten, muskrat, and mink. beaver, otter, and wolverine can all be taken with the 330's, 220's, and 750's and we have lots of beaver!! What kind of snogo do you have?

I got two, one is a 1989 polaris, the other is a 2007 Arctic Cat. I use the Polaris for trapping down here. I have a bunch of #1's too but didn't think they would be very useful up there. I considered selling the #2's and may still. I love trapping Beaver, and K9's. I would definitely have to learn about snaring. The regulations are so restrictive here in Michigan that the snares are useless. I do snare under the ice for beaver though. Thanks for the advice.

#1 coilsprings aren't used here but the longsprings are and a few still use the #1 jumps, the #1 longspring is probably the most popular marten trap with the 120 a close second........they both have their good and bad points. #2's will work for canines if they have at least a 5 1/2" spred and are 4 coiled but it's a pain to keep them operational, I used to use some #3 victors that had a 5 1/2" jawspread and they worked well but I've since sold them. For lynk a 6" jawspread is preffered as their feet are big but 4 coils aren't needed as they don't fight the trap hard and you don't need to bury the trap. There's plenty of beaver to trap as not many trap them because the price is pretty low for the amount of work involved so most trappers that I know do it for the local market because its used to make hats, mits, parkas, and stuff like that..........Alaska bling lol plus its good to eat and meat from the store is way to expensive!

Default Big Changes

I love BBQ Beav hahaha, but the wife isn't a fan. Just solidified the plans, we are gonna make the trip up on the 11th and want to stay till the 1st of Feb. I have multiple interviews now for different jobs in Fairbanks, North Pole, Palmer, and possibly Kodiak, Kotz, and Bethel, so I will be all over the state for a month. Had to take a small loan to do it but it'll be worth it in the end. My wife wanted to come along and it is the kids Christmas break so we decided to drive up. Since I am gonna be flying out to Kodiak and possibly out west we think we should stay either in ANC or Palmer, what do you guys think? We are thinking we will rent a Vacation rental but I'm not looking for a lodge, or something spectacular, a cabin will work as long as it sleeps 4 and has elec, and is plumbed. My wife wants to visit Talkeetna for a few days also, anyone know a place out there? We will be running through Cantwell too, my wife has family there. Can't wait to get there!

Do you plan to work as a police officer? Might want to avoid Bethel and Kotz PM me and I'll fill you in, Fairbanks is always in need and I deal with them on a daily in my line of work......

Not sure what your line of work is but I know several people in both Kotz and Bethel and they seem to like things just fine out there
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Right now I am an out of work Veteran living off of savings while going to school. I am studying Fisheries Biology with specializations in Invasive Species and Limnology. BUT yes I am also a certified Police Officer. I put myself through the Sheriffs Academy in North Carolina while in the Marine Corps right before I got out. I applied to the AST and my command wouldn't give me leave to complete the testing. I need to be near either UAF or UAA to finish school, so that's why i said i would take bethel or kotz as a last resort. I want to get up there even if it means living in a village.

Just so you know there are satellite campuses for UAF in both Bethel and Kotz

Just so you know there are satellite campus for UAF in both Bethel and Kotz and many classes through UAF are easliy done distance delivery. There are people getting degrees all over rural AK without ever setting foot on the main campuses in Fairbanks, Anchorage or Juneau. It isn't possible with every degree but it is for many

Yeah with my degree it isn't possible, I have to be on campus.

Alaska Trappers Association is the place to start. The dues to belong to them are $30 per year and you can attend their monthly meetings at the Dog Mushers Field the first Tuesday of the month during the winter months. You can attend without being a member with no problem but it is good to become a paying member to support the cause. There is an unlimited amount of knowledge in their membership and each month there is a speaker who will have some good ideas to help you out.