Thread: Where do YOU cross a wake??

Default Where do YOU cross a wake??

I've always instinctively crossed a wake well back of a boat I am coming up on from behind, and maybe a bit closer when coming into each other...all depending on how wide I can go with avoiding other boats, shallows, buoys etc. My boat is a 26' Hewes Alaskan, so not little, not big, plenty of power with twins.

This Fall I was on a charter with a young captain in the Charleston, SC flats. 17' bay boat, wide and flat with shallow draft, 70hp Yahama. We passed a lot of boats in the channel going to and from the flats, many big bluewater boats with a big wake. He would get right up behind them, then quickly pass over their wake on their starboard side....seemed to go pretty smooth. Coming into each other was a different technique for him, he would catch the coming wake maybe 50-75 yards after he passed the other boat, go sideways (yeah, I know, seems weird...) and slow quickly and take the wake on his port side and just let it roll under him. I asked him, and he said an "old guy" showed him both techniques and they did seem to work great on his boat. I am particularly wondering about passing a boat by coming up on its stern maybe only 30 feet or so back... what do you think and what works for you?

i used to pass from behind "close" also when i was gillnetting. less wake for the other boat & less wake for you. prob is most everyone gets pissed off & thinks your being a jerk getting to close to them, little do they know. pretty much farther away you are the more waves you'll have to ride over or thru. if i was on a boat that created a large wake i'd prob slow down couple hundred yard before them & pass within 100 yrds head on depends on the size of my wake & they're boat

agreed. up close if you now the capitan of the boat you are over taking. iwould imagine folks getting a little bent out of shape if you slip stream pass then in the big wide ocean.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Default Where do YOU cross a wake??

What if the person in front of you decides to dodge a piece of driftwood? Sounds like trouble to me at least during big tides with lots of crap in the water

Charterboat Operator

I will typically do the close pass when over taking, and closeness depends on who you are passing and how well you know them. Head on, as the guide from SC does, not cutting across the wake but rolling with it, in most cases, there are those that you would not want to do that way!!

I do the close pass when over-taking a boat. As others said there are less waves to go through. Generally with the close pass you only have one wave to deal with and don't even have to slow down. You just drop off it and keep going. I don't have any special method for passing boats head on, other than going port-to-port.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Why is it that very few people tell you on the radio when they want to pass closely - it does P me off - - they have the means - use it.

Quote Originally Posted by nobaddaysinak View Post
    What if the person in front of you decides to dodge a piece of driftwood? Sounds like trouble to me at least during big tides with lots of crap in the water
    prob no different than driving I-5 in seattle or portland..........

obviously i don't pass from behind that close to someone

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Why is it that very few people tell you on the radio when they want to pass closely - it does P me off - - they have the means - use it.
    Yep, that would be easy if they have their boat name on the stern, not if they don't....there are those boat horn toots that mean different things, but must be designed for sailboats, unless you have an outrageous horn, not going to be heard over power boats on step...

Well, I got to try that close behind pass but will follow advice here and do it with boats I know or ones with name readable from the stern.