Thread: Our dog needs a new home :(

Default Our dog needs a new home :(

We have a very sweet 18 month old Chesapeake/GSP mix. We recently found out that he has dry eye and requires eye ointment 6 times a day. My wife and I have two other dogs and an 8 month old little girl so I am afraid we cannot provide the care or attention he needs. He is crate trained and house broken, he is very energetic and loves to play fetch or go for hikes. I don't know if he has the temperament to make much of a gundog. We have an older dog of the same mix and she was a great retriever in her day. This is a difficult decision for me but I feel that it is best for "Moose". I have been working 9-10 hour days in Anchorage and my wife is left the task of having to give him the meds and she is at the end of her rope. I have never given up on a dog so this has been tough. The vet warned he will likely have many eye infections in his life and said it was very uncommon for a dog his age to be afflicted with dry eye. If you are interested please call me at 907-444-1940.

Hello, I hate to suggest this, but put him down. If he is in pain or uncomfortable if he does not get his 6 treatments per day, end his misery and say your good by's. I may be able to find you a number for a lady in Palmer that will put him down and deliver you a nice box of ashes not real expensive. Sorry, Bud
    Wasilla

Dont take this wrong, but I have to ask is the condition with the eye something that began after the onset of winter where we have had extremly dry windy & dusty conditions? And while im sure you trust your vet, I might suggest getting a second opinion from another vet.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

No, it has been on going. We noticed this past summer that he often had mucous and drainage in his eyes. He doesn't make tears so he can't keep them lubricated. We have tried ointment to stimulate tear production but it hasn't helped which according to the vet means the glands just don't produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    No, it has been on going. We noticed this past summer that he often had mucous and drainage in his eyes. He doesn't make tears so he can't keep them lubricated. We have tried ointment to stimulate tear production but it hasn't helped which according to the vet means the glands just don't produce.
    Or the lines are blocked.

Before doing anything drastic. Take your dog to Sand Lake Animal Hospital for a second opinion. I did..... saved $80 a month for 5 years. The first vet was grossly incompetent and greedy. He would get a comission on the meds. My second opinion cost me $28 and $3 at Freddies for some 3 way nasal spray. Let me say again:

Before doing anything drastic. Take your dog to Sand Lake Animal Hospital for a second opinion.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

My initial advice to put the dog down may have been hasty. However, I doubt very much you will be able to find a home for your dog that will provide the long term care he would need. That is why I advised putting him down. A 2nd opinion is a very good idea, maybe even a 3rd. Good luck, I know putting down a young active dog is difficult, but may be the best. Bud
    Wasilla

You might also try a humidifier. It is very dry with the wind.

Buy a bottle of 4 way nasal spray. Put several drops down each nostril 2X a day.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks