Thread: 338 Edge

Default 338 Edge

I am kicking around the idea of building a 338 Edge and was wondering if anyone has first hand info on this cartdrige. I have read that alot of them are built on Rem 700 action (300 Win Mag). I don't own any Rem actions and was wondering if the 338 Edge would fit in the magazine. I know you have to open up the feed rails so it can feed the round. Thanks in advance for any info.

Nobody has any info????????????

I had one. It was built on an Ultra Mag action, so there wasn't anything needed to be done to the feed rails or magazine box. The rifle shot very well and produced some great velocities with the 26" barrel.

To reload, I necked up .300 RUM brass by backing off a regular .338 RUM sizing die to just bump the shoulder. Same for the seating die. I had good accuracy and velocities with RL-25 powder. I typically shot 225gr bullets (3250fps), but there are a lot of newer options in 250 and 300 grain weighs. I sold the rifle before I got to play with them.

If I did it again, I would probably just buy a .338 RUM and call it a day. Expensive gunsmithing is required to gain the extra velocity from the "Edge" and it comes at the expense of COAL latitude in the magazine box. A .338 RUM will get you pretty close to Edge performance without all the extra monkeying around.

I have looked at building one for some time now but I haven't done it yet. There is an old timer gunsmith in Anchorage named Stan Jackson. His number is 907-250-0252. He has built a few of them and does an excellent job. He can achieve amazing accuracy with them. Give him a call. He is a great old timer.

Thanks guys........I understand that the 338 RUM is very close to the 338 Edge along with the 338 Lapua. I have just always had a sweet spot for wildcats/odd balls but there is a price you pay for them and its not just money. I have a custom made 350 Griffen & Howe, great rifle/cartridge but you can't really find any reloading data so its all trial and error.

I may be wrong but I'll take a stab at it.

The 300RUM is longer from head to shoulder so it won't chamber in the 338RUM. The 338RUM won't chamber in the 300RUM because the neck is to fat. That keeps those two from being shot in each other by accident.

The cheap way to make and Edge is to buy a 338RUM and a 338 Edge reamer. I've been told you just have to run the reamer down the chamber to set head space to the proper spec. The Edge uses the longer case body like the 300RUM to hold more charge than the 338RUM. This gets it close to 338 Lapua performance. I've read threads were some guys are shooting faster but I question their sanity.

Buying 300RUM brass and expanding the neck to accept the 338 bullet followed by fire forming your brass should do the trick.

The 338 Lapua is a fatter case with a shorter body based on the 416 Rigby necked down. I have a 338 Lapua and enjoy it quite a bit. Currently my good load is a 300gr Berger over Retumbo in a lapua case with CCI-250 primers shot at 2775fps. The group is a cold bore plus four. This is a 100 yard group. The pic is labeled 200 but it's a typo.

5 shot 200 yard group.jpgDSC01878.JPG

Defensive Edge now has 338 Edge brass that is properly head stamped. No forming as it starts life as 338 edge brass. What I read is that the brass is quite strong perhaps as good as the Lapua brass. I believe that the 338 Edge brass has a slightly higher capacity than the 338 Lapua and the only advantage the Lapua had was the higher quality brass, this sounds like it has evened the playing field without having to go to the .580+ bolt face of the 338 Lapua.

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    I am kicking around the idea of building a 338 Edge and was wondering if anyone has first hand info on this cartdrige. I have read that alot of them are built on Rem 700 action (300 Win Mag). I don't own any Rem actions and was wondering if the 338 Edge would fit in the magazine. I know you have to open up the feed rails so it can feed the round. Thanks in advance for any info.

Longrangehunting.com is where you will find the originator of the cartridge and currently a builder of rifles based on this cartridge.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default 338 Edge

Good stuff. I'll be following this thread since I have a 300 win mag is like to tinker with.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

here is my edge i had built by a smith in arizona. it shoots very accurate at long ranges and is a gem to shoot. i went with a lighter version for hunting purposes so it can pack a punch as far as recoil goes.

a three shot 100yd group with 300 gr. berger VLD's.

here it is before scope

here is a three shot 540 yd. group.

That is a fine looking rig you have there, and a fantastic shooter too.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    Defensive Edge now has 338 Edge brass that is properly head stamped. No forming as it starts life as 338 edge brass. What I read is that the brass is quite strong perhaps as good as the Lapua brass. I believe that the 338 Edge brass has a slightly higher capacity than the 338 Lapua and the only advantage the Lapua had was the higher quality brass, this sounds like it has evened the playing field without having to go to the .580+ bolt face of the 338 Lapua.

Gus
    The new brass makes the EDGE a lot more atractive... said to be as good as Lapua brass

Having loaded for the 300 RUM which is the parent case for the EDGE, you will need an extended mag box for a repeater, and even then, if you're loading the long high BC bullets this cartridge was designed for, you will be sinking them into the case a little ways for a repeater.

The EDGE is a great cartridge, but if I was going to build a long range 338, I would build it from a 338 Lapua or Lapua Imp which has a shorter, fatter case that is more friendly to loading the longer bullets like the Berger 300 Hybrid OTM... and has great Lapua brass available. That said, I would not build any Lapua class cartridge on a factory action. Yeah, I know.. Rem and Savage make them, but I would build on a good strong custom action... reason being the extra bolt thrust from the .588 bolt face. If you like wildcats, a 338 LM Imp is a little more wild than necking up a 300 RUM.

If I just wanted a hard hitting 338 Cartridge, the standard 338 RUM with 250 gr bullets would be a very good pick.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

I have always wanted to build a 338edge too but never got around to it. I have a 7mm Roy and a 375 Ruger so I am covered for most anything with those but I do love those 338 bores. I killed my Bou last year with a 338wm and when I hit him in the neck he dropped and couldnt get back up so I put one more thru the boiler room just to make sure he didnt get up. Those edges are very attractive. I think its also cheaper to run those than the lapua as lapua brass is not cheap. I know its getting more common around to see a 338 edge also. I think the new 375 ruger case is used to make a fine 338 too but I think it may be around the 375 rum and not the edge power and velocity wise. Good luck with your build and hope to see it once its completed.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaTRD4x4 View Post
    I have always wanted to build a 338edge too but never got around to it. I have a 7mm Roy and a 375 Ruger so I am covered for most anything with those but I do love those 338 bores. I killed my Bou last year with a 338wm and when I hit him in the neck he dropped and couldnt get back up so I put one more thru the boiler room just to make sure he didnt get up. Those edges are very attractive. I think its also cheaper to run those than the lapua as lapua brass is not cheap. I know its getting more common around to see a 338 edge also. I think the new 375 ruger case is used to make a fine 338 too but I think it may be around the 375 rum and not the edge power and velocity wise. Good luck with your build and hope to see it once its completed.
    Actually Lapua brass will last much longer than Rem or Nosler brass and is cheaper in the long run. My 300 RUM Rem brass lasts about 4-6 firings. The 375 Ruger case would make an excellent 338 round and the brass is good stuff. If I wanted the equivalent or better of a 375 RUM I would neck up the 338 Lapua and put a 35* shoulder on it and maybe push the taper out a little. That would be a nice 375 IMO.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Yeah I agree the Lapua brass is better for sure but myself I probably wouldn't shoot enough to make my money back off the initial brass purchase. Plus it would cost more to have the feed rails adjusted and the bolt face opened etc. I am tight on money so all those things would be a factor for me as well. If I could afford a Lapua I would probably look into a MKV Weatherby and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    If I wanted the equivalent or better of a 375 RUM I would neck up the 338 Lapua and put a 35* shoulder on it and maybe push the taper out a little. That would be a nice 375 IMO.
    Now you have me dreaming of a custom .375 build with a slippery high BC bullet, I hate .50's. Sierra has a new 350gr .375 in the match King line and it's rumored that Berger is developing a .375 and .416 high BC bullet.

SSooooo, the choice now will be RUM case, 378 Weatherby case, 375 Chey-Tac or 375 Allen Mag?

Easiest would be the RUM or 378 W as cases can be found anywhere. A PTG reamer for the 378 Improved (40*) shoulder, would be the ticket for hard hitting action. Uses lots of powder though.