Thread: 6.5 Grendel

Default 6.5 Grendel

So I read an article today on the 6.5 Grendel. Anyone have any experience with the caliber? How about using it in a hunting rifle?

Excellent caliber in a bolt gun for kids. Based on the 220 Russian case family. It has a weird size bolt face and as such doesn't have much in the way of guns availabe for it. It was designed for the AR series of rifles. It offers good power for the short magazine rifle although it does reduce magazine capacity in the AR's significantly. It, like it's 220 Russian offspring family 22 PPC, 6 PPC, is inherently accurate; IT being a 6.5 PPC. Grendel/Alexander Arms didn't design the round it was designed by PPC; however it was dropped due to lack of use. Alexander Arms just used a 7.62x 39 AR bolt face and adapted it to the AR rifles; Calling it the 6.5 Grendel.
    It would be a great round to rechamber a Mini Mark Mauser or a Reminton 799 to as it is low recoil and produces a very good accuracy. Mine is an upper on my Bushmaster lower; It has taken a couple of whitetails and a hog all shot under 200 yds. If I were doing it again for what I've got invested I'ld build a bolt gun and shoot my AR in it's factory 223 configuration, that's what I do mostly anyway.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I dont have time right now to get too far into it but it is an Awesome round! I got my first one 4 years ago, once i was satisfied that it was going to be around for a while. First was a heavy barrel for my encore, to call it a "tack driver" would be an understatement. Last year i dropped some money on an upper, i went through Precision Firearms and it is also a "tack driver" and is very well built PF did a really good job on it. The mags hold 26rnds in the old 30rnd size, but you are getting a significant terminal increase so the extra 4rnds arent really needed. I would love to get the Mosberg MVP in 556 rebarreled for the Grendel, i just need to find someone to make a bolt for it. (i also want them to make a 7.62nato version that takes m-14 mags).
    My grendel has taken several deer in the last few years and countless woodchucks, my friend has it while im in afghanistan and he tells me that its the most accurate rifle he's used. His kids and wife love it too, it doesnt kick much.

(the encore barrel was made by MGM, great people they rebarreled my 30-06 into a 280, 243 into a 338Fed, and 4 other encore barrels... all of them are AWESOME!)
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    I dont have time right now to get too far into it but it is an Awesome round! I got my first one 4 years ago, once i was satisfied that it was going to be around for a while. First was a heavy barrel for my encore, to call it a "tack driver" would be an understatement. Last year i dropped some money on an upper, i went through Precision Firearms and it is also a "tack driver" and is very well built PF did a really good job on it. The mags hold 26rnds in the old 30rnd size, but you are getting a significant terminal increase so the extra 4rnds arent really needed. I would love to get the Mosberg MVP in 556 rebarreled for the Grendel, i just need to find someone to make a bolt for it.
    A gunsmith should be able to modify (open) the bolt to the 220 Russian bolt face and shorten the extractor to cycle 6.5 Grendel. You can usually open a bolt pretty easily but going down is much harder. This may not be a practical solution if the bolt lugs lock into the barrel as the barrel would need to be changed, or rebored in the case of the lugs locking into the barrel. JES could probably do the rebore if needed.
    AS I stated there aren't many actions available for this caliber due to it's bolt face.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Grendel/Alexander Arms didn't design the round it was designed by PPC; however it was dropped due to lack of use. Alexander Arms just used a 7.62x 39 AR bolt face and adapted it to the AR rifles; Calling it the 6.5 Grendel.
    My understanding is the 6.5 Grendal was based on the 6.5 ppc but that was it. Alexander worked with Arne Brennan to come up with the 6.5 Grendal. Am I wrong with this? Also the 6.5 Grendal is only 5 rounds less then the 5.56 in an AR platform.

Can you just swap bolts from a 5.56 to a .308 bolt to work in the AR, along with a new barrel of course.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Can you just swap bolts from a 5.56 to a .308 bolt to work in the AR, along with a new barrel of course.
    IF you use a .308 size bolt (.473 dia) then you would need to rechamber for the 6.5 BR round; It has the same bolt face as the 243-308 Win. The 6.5 BenchRest has 15% more case capacity and uses it well. It too is an extremely accurate round used in benchrest shooting. It too fits in the standard AR mags with a mod to the feed lips and mag follower. To use the 6.5 Grendel you'll need a bolt face from an AR chambered for the 7.62 x 39 Russian/AK round, as this round has a bolt face whose diameter is between the 223 and 308 (.443), the barrel will have to be changed to the desired caliber.

[QUOTE=brav01;1213367]IF you use a .308 size bolt (.473 dia) then you would need to rechamber for the 6.5 BR round; It has the same bolt face as the 243-308 Win. QUOTE]

Or the Creedmoor. Cheaper ammo.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I know they arent much to look at but here is my ENCORE 6.5 Grendel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Josh

I just built a Grendel upper after waiting 7 months for a 18" SS 5R barrel. Haven't shot it yet but I'm putting it together to chase wolves and long range coyotes and other things that need to be shot. I'm a big 6.5 fan so I know it will deliver if I do.

Akula,

I have three 6.5 Encore barrels and they all shoot like champ!! My favorite is a 26" Bullbery 6.5/06AI and it is just as ugly as yours, but I can hit consistantly on the 8" gong at 500 yds with it. The 6.5x55 will too but you need to crank in more elevation. The 260 Rem hasn't been shot that much but I suspect it will do as well.

Keep your head down!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Ive been thinking of getting another M70 and having it redone for a 260Rem, Im still thinking of the MVP and redoing that as a Grendel.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    ...just as ugly as yours, but I can hit consistantly on the 8" gong at 500 yds with it.
    They may be ugly but they are nice and shoot really well, and if you put a good aftermarket barrel on it... LOOKOUT! (my MGM's are just plain AWESOME! after getting my first one with them i decided to stick with them, and so far they have not let me down, im up to 2 rebarrels 30-06 to a 280rem and a 243 to a 338fed, and 3 encore with 2 or 3 more on the way, 50 Alaskan for sure, and maybe a 338-06... still thinking on the last 1 or 2. Im going to get another frame when i get back.
    Josh