Thread: Fur Prices Lower 48

Default Fur Prices Lower 48

Thought you chaps may enjoy seeing some prices, I know the quality of fur is much better up there but still interesting...

My Pardner & I sold 24 coons, 6 beaver, and 1 coyote. A couple late catches went whole the rest were skinned and frozen.
    Here is a breakdown:
    1 XXL coon - $30.00
    5 XL coon $22.00e
    6 Lg coon $15.00
    5 Md coon $8.00
    1 XXL Beaver $30.00
    2 Lg ( 50lb'rs) $20.00e
    3 Small $8.00e
    1 Lg Female Coyote $20.00
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Nice coon in a DP trap...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

who did you sell to?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Lg coon in fox set...

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    who did you sell to?
    FFG, Groenewold Fur & Wool Co, very large broker - they process about 3000 coon per day...
    Oh, they said muskrats were in very short supply, not many being caught - drought related - maybe - so might see some nice price increases in them if you have any to hold onto?

nice job guys..looks like a lot of fun. Brings back memories growing up in Texas trapping coons..sure alot of fun.

Your son sure looks like he is proud to be on the line..great job!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    nice job guys..looks like a lot of fun. Brings back memories growing up in Texas trapping coons..sure alot of fun.

Your son sure looks like he is proud to be on the line..great job!
    Thanks Duckhunter! Actually this is my "adopted" grandson, he lives next door with his Mom, Sister, and Grandma and we have struck up a good friendship. If it was not for him I probably would not be trapping as I sold all my stuff about 3 years ago figuring I was done - getting too crippled up to do it! But, we have re-supplied to a lesser degree and set a pace made for fun not large catches and keep a large bottle of Alieve handy! Stevie is sure a spark plug to have along, no matter what we catch he is stoked up....

Supporting Member

Good for you, Smokey! Glad to see other guys passing the tradition on and keeping the spirit alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    FFG, Groenewold Fur & Wool Co, very large broker - they process about 3000 coon per day...
    Oh, they said muskrats were in very short supply, not many being caught - drought related - maybe - so might see some nice price increases in them if you have any to hold onto?
    Nice, thats who I planned to sell to also, did you ship or sell to one of their traveling fur buyers?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Nice, thats who I planned to sell to also, did you ship or sell to one of their traveling fur buyers?
    Traveling Sir, Guy Groenewold comes within 15 miles but that is a Friday AM stop so I had to Drive 50 miles to make a Sat location....

How does that work selling them whole price wise? You guys aren't stretching and drying them either?

thanks

FFG, you should look into FHA and NAFA.

Skin and stretch them yourself, no shipping costs to send them in, and the prices will be alot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    How does that work selling them whole price wise? You guys aren't stretching and drying them either?

thanks
    High TM, they are giving us $5.00 more for skinned coons then carcass, and $3.00 more if they are stretched and dried. Many moons ago when I longlined I ran about 500-600 traps and had 2 guys skinning for me plus myself. I had all the setup including a hyrdrolic skinner I made and fleshing beams. We would do about 800 - 1200 coons and 50 - 100 fox and coyotes, plus m rats. I had the winters off and worked a line full time. Today I am pressed for time as I am gone 12 hrs a day for work and the old hands and body just won't take all the work to properly do the pelts to finish. Actually I had sold everything in 2009 and was done, however my new partner of 14yrs age has fueled my interest so we have bought more traps and dug in! I have a new beam and knife but no time or energy to set it up yet. I may wait until season is over and set it all up right instead of half azzing it if ya know what I mean. By the time I skin one coyote (45 min ) my hands are about done for so for now skinng furs to fit in the freezer is the best plan.
    As you know fleshing is a bit of an art, and doing it in a ill prepaired setup one can ruin furs pretty easily.
    Age and time my friend changes a lot of what one can do!

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    FFG, you should look into FHA and NAFA.

Skin and stretch them yourself, no shipping costs to send them in, and the prices will be alot better.
    I have, but I hear you have to wait like a year for your checks, if your fur sells at all, and I figured Id send to groenwolds, and see what the offers and maybe sell half to them half to NAFA (since we have a shipper in town) just for giggles and kicks. (to test the waters, ya know)

I have, but I hear you have to wait like a year for your checks, if your fur sells at all, and I figured Id send to groenwolds, and see what the offers and maybe sell half to them half to NAFA (since we have a shipper in town) just for giggles and kicks. (to test the waters, ya know)

Makes sense to test a few methods and see what works.

With Nafa, you send in your fur around april and you'll get your check probably by july. Not too long to wait, IMO. You are not selling them to NAFA, you are letting them auction your furs...and there is no shipping cost. You do have to pay an 11% commission and a small fee for fur tumbling.

Besides the fact that you will get more money by skinning and stretching, you will also have professional graders grading your fur so you can see how good of a job you are doing with your put up...