Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: battery question

Default battery question

what you favorite battery for an atv... I need to replace mine on my arctic cat 500s and not sure which is best..
    thanks
    Dave

Check out Batteries Plus, they have a big selection of everything from stock to super lightweight. I've found them to be cheaper than the dealer for an OEM equivalent battery and they have a 1 year free replacement warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by MORSNO View Post
    Check out Batteries Plus, they have a big selection of everything from stock to super lightweight. I've found them to be cheaper than the dealer for an OEM equivalent battery and they have a 1 year free replacement warranty.
    appreciate the reply.. i think there is one out this way so I will go check them out..

Replaced both the batteries in our AC500 with AGM's from Battery Plus. The ones we got have 2 connectiion on each terminal. I have the main connections to one terminal and the winch leads to the other. Works out real well.

I would suggest you get their more expensive model. I bought the cheap one(1yr warranty) and it only lasted 8mo in a heated garage. I exchanged it and up graded to their upper end model and have had good luck so far. My .02
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    I would suggest you get their more expensive model. I bought the cheap one(1yr warranty) and it only lasted 8mo in a heated garage. I exchanged it and up graded to their upper end model and have had good luck so far. My .02
    thanks for the reply fellas.... I did go to batteries plus and yes I did get and upgraded battery.. thanks to all for the advice.. I did breath a sigh of relief when I got home... The old battery seemed to crank over fine but sounded like the fuel pump( i assume thats what kicks on when you turn the key) was struggling so I was not 100 percent sure it was the battery but thought to start simple...worked out great in this case...she starts like a champ...thanks again...
    dave

Good to hear! They carry the best selection, and yes I also went with a better battery, I use my wheeler to plow (not so much this year so far) and the winch and auxiliary lighting put a load on the battery.

Good to hear! They carry the best selection, and yes I also went with a better battery, I use my wheeler to plow (not so much this year so far) and the winch and auxiliary lighting put a load on the battery.
    That was my thinking as well...and yes not much plowing going on....lol I figured I would get it now to keep the snow away....ya know cause snow always comes when your not ready so I figured if i was ready...well you get the idea...LOL... Great call on batteries plus that place is pretty cool...

Odyssey PC925 is my favorite. It's an easy install in side by sides. A PC625 would be a better fit for most sit-ons. It'll still require some modification to the stock mount but it's worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Replaced both the batteries in our AC500 with AGM's from Battery Plus. The ones we got have 2 connectiion on each terminal. I have the main connections to one terminal and the winch leads to the other. Works out real well.
    Same thing we did. Pid, thanks for that info on the Odysseys. That 925 one might be the ticket for what I'm trying to do with my Bearcat.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Odyssey batteries can be installed in any position except upside down. That should help for finding a suitable installation space.

I'm curious how many people make the effort to save their battery after they have run it down using the winch to raise and lower a plow? So many batteries get junked every year due to improper use and/or no maintenance. Every time the '06 wheeler gets parked after plowing the pigtail gets plugged into the trickle charger. Still has the factory battery in it. Of course the '04 Dmax still has it's original factory batteries too. Maybe I'm just battery lucky

Default battery question

I suspect that my trickle charger may be part of my problem. I used it religiously and lost a cell on my battery within 6 months (confirmed in testing by batteries plus). Recently the Gauge stopped working which my research showed is usually do to jumping them from a running vehicle which I have never done. I will probably buy a new gauge and now I pull the main fuse before I plug in my charger. I may install an isolator so that I can just swap it over to trickle in the future. Bike is a 2007 Cat 700 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    I'm curious how many people make the effort to save their battery after they have run it down using the winch to raise and lower a plow? So many batteries get junked every year due to improper use and/or no maintenance. Every time the '06 wheeler gets parked after plowing the pigtail gets plugged into the trickle charger. Still has the factory battery in it. Of course the '04 Dmax still has it's original factory batteries too. Maybe I'm just battery lucky
    I think you are battery lucky. I am pretty religious about the trickle charger too. I actually go through stages on things that go wrong for me. Two years ago it was tires, last year mechanical ( trans in the truck, computer in the car and both in the same week). This year batteries. Bought a new used diesel and both batts went bad and replaced them a month ago and only had the wheeler for a few months( bought used) and the Battery went south

The advantage of Odyssey batteries is in exceptionally long storage life without a maintainer and excellent performance in cold temperatures. My first Odyssey was a PC625 in my Cessna. I store it all winter with no maintenance and it spins the engine to life in spring like it was charged that day. I started using them in my wheelers, too. Same result. My VK will be getting a PC925 before it goes riding again. I've found my 4-stroke sled starts fine in the cold as long as the battery can spin the starter fast enough. The Odyssey will do it better than the stock flooded battery can. Most of my equipment isn't nearby power outlets where maintainers are practical. With Odysseys it hasn't been a problem.

Mr. Pid- Not that you would need to with your good luck with the Odyssey batteries, but being away from power outlets did you look into solar panel trickle chargers? Obviously short days during winter will provide less performance but I have a friend using them on a truck and track rig with success for a few years now.

Also a good quality trickle charger is a must. One that will float charge when full charge has been met. And the smaller the amperage the better. Keep moisture and debris off the top of the battery also.

I use a solar charger in a boat. It works for that since the bilge pump occasionally draws power. For the machines that are just parked I don't need any trickle with the Odysseys. They hold a charge with no assistance. That's what I've become used to and that's what I expect.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I am thinking a Suzuki would be a better replacement option.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I am thinking a Suzuki would be a better replacement option.....
    I agree with your better option, replace a Suzuki....

I'm also a supporter of using a battery maintainer. I use a CTEK smart charger with a easy to use cord mounted to my battery so it only takes a second to connect/disconnect.

http://smartercharger.com/benefits/

Using a unique charge algorithm, CTEK Smarter Battery Chargers go through 8 steps to constantly read and communicate with your battery, charging only to its direct needs and therefore avoiding any possibility of incorrectly charging the battery. Furthermore, by ensuring the battery is conditioned as well as charged, your batteries last significantly longer. Moreover, each CTEK Smart Battery Charger regulates mains voltage to protect any sensitive electrical and hi-fi equipment. Now that's smart! See the visual demo of CTEK's world renowned 8-step charging process

I ride an 02' foreman 450 I bought new and every winter it sits in a non heated shop,I don't run a trickle charger on it and don't even start it till spring hits....careless I know but with 4200 miles on the machine I can't for the life of me understand why the battery refuses to take a dump. Last year before moose season I figured okay....time to surge for a really good brand new battery so I took the stocker down to batteries plus and had them load test it just because. They said "we'd love to sell you a battery but this one is perfectly fine." so I popped it back in and continued on and still no problems whatsoever. My experience with batteries plus is there stand up peopled there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast