Thread: Hearing Protection on the Move / Upland

Default Hearing Protection on the Move / Upland

What are you guys using for hearing protection while out hunting with the shotgun?

Iíve been using just a single ear plug which works fine but I can't hear when the Ptarmigan are talking or when a grouse flushes behind me. Does anyone use a Walkers Game Ear or similar product? Is everyone just resigned to going deaf? Any input from some of you long time upland hunters would be much appreciated.
    Let me know what you guys are using and how itís working for you.
    Thanks

nothing but I have always had bad hearing anyway
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Well, I own, but seldom wear the ESP digital hearing inserts. They're very expensive. I don't wear them often because they pick up all sorts of noise I just haven't been able to get used to...yet. I have little hearing left in my left ear and it's very difficult for me locate my dogs even when their beepers are going off while pointing birds. Hard to triangulate when you have bad hearing in one ear, and not so hot hearing in the other. I may wear them more this coming year?

Jim

I bought my daughter eletric muffs a few years ago so that she can hear my commands while at the range or in the marsh. They work, but at the range you get a pretty good blast before the system turns off. I prefer to just leave them off, and am rethinking their use at the range with all the secondary shooting from adjacent tables.

I have tried the sure fire ear plugs. they have a tube that controls sound coming into the device. It has a plug over the tube to increase the NRR. I think they would be ok for walking around and taking the edge off the a shot. However, they tend to slip out of my ear canal when its hot out. I have worn them under muffs and that tends to push them out faster. I have yet to use them while hunting which is what my original purpose was. Just have not been out much the past two years.

Jim:
    What you said manifests my doubts about the electronic gadgets offered. Also, since I fly helicopters for a living my hearing is already under attack and I need to attempt to preserve it as best I can.
    Ray: I was not aware of the Surefires and quite frankly I'm surprised that there is a non-electric product out there which might actually work. I've looked into these further and though not all the reviews were stellar I think that for $18 they are worth a try.
    I'll post here with my comments after I get them.
    Thanks guys

I've been struggling with that myself in the uplands My ears used to ring at the end of the season for a couple months and then a couple years back, I did some perminent damage and the ringing hasn't stopped since. For upland, especially if it is hot, I use the Hearing II Protectors, they are OK. Given how many I've lost, I can't see upgrading to something nicer. They are a just OK option, better than foam, but not great. My ears do not go into stage 2 ringing even after a lot of shooting with them in like they would without.

I use and love my Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs for stationary hunting. Sound quality is excellent (of you don't turn them up really high) and they have lasted very well for how inexpensive they are - my first pair has lasted 3 years of heavy use. They are too heavy and hot in the uplands (unless it is really cold).

I have been using the Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs for couple years now I love them got a few pairs for me and the boy to use. I use them while hunting and at the range best thing about them is I can plug in my iPod and listen to music while I hunt they have individual volume controls which is there best feature I think.

Hunters have a couple of special hearing needs when it comes to considering hearing protection: 1). they prefer to be able to hear normally all the time, 2). they probably have time to "put on" their hearing protection, but ...might not.

I've had good luck with Sport Ears. We've also worn electronic Peltor earmuffs in the field, which also don't impair hearing in the field, yet offer good (-20dB) hearing protection. Here are a couple of informative old threads:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ing+protection
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ing+protection

For some perspective, good hearing aids for hearing impairment cost $3,000 to $5,000/pair, a couple years back for a family member. Wow.

Foolishly, I have never used hearing protection. But this thread is a reminder to look at breaking that bad habit and consider using something.

At last check, my hearing LUCKILY is still pretty good (normal loss for my age).