Thread: Is a GPAA membership worth it for a one time Alaska vacation?

Default Is a GPAA membership worth it for a one time Alaska vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    BTW is a membership in the GPAA any benefit for someone who lives in the lower 48 and will maybe make it to Alaska once??
    This thread is for wmgeorge who asked this question in another thread. Rather than take that one off track I will answer it here.
    I don't think the GPAA (Yes I am a member) Has any land (no claiming ground in Iowa) in Iowa to prospect on but they do have a lot in many other sates. Besides Alaska there is California, Arizona, Nevada, the Black hills of the Dakotas and many others. Even property on the east coast. I don't have my claims guide handy or I could tell you more. I believe they still do a $67.50 yearly membership for first timers and that includes a good gold pan instructional video ballcap mining guide and some other stuff.
    It is also a family membership so you only pay one fee and your whole family can go. You can even bring guests but they are limited in gear types.
    On the other hand you will pay a minimum of $20 each per day of panning at Crow Creek Mine (kids and seniors discount as well as military and GPAA member discount). There are some free public lands but they have been hit hard for the most part.
    So you only pay the $67.50 once for a full years membership. After that the price drops just for the optional renewal but no gold pan etc.
    There is no renewal obligation.
    There are other membership options such as a lifetime membership or a membership in the LDMA a sister organization with campgrounds and mining which is more expensive but I believe you own it and I believe can sell it.
    Anyway you be the judge if it is worth it to pay to use our clubs claims.
    Once you can use the PM feature send me one on where you plan to go and I can tell you if we have claims in the area.

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I had a Christmas offer from them this week. I think the price now is $87.50 but certainly not the old price you have. I used to belong and the Mining Claim Guide is an excellent source of information. Mind you though, if you live on the West coast, it is surly a better investment. Much more gold found there. As far as Alaska, I think a simple Internet research will probably tell you more than the guide.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I don't mind spending money : ) and I have looked online enough to know there are some claims (like in Michigan) I could use if I was a member. I have a Whites metal detector which I was assuming was not that great for finding gold (except for rings and such) but finding out otherwise. I would need to put on a smaller coil but once again its just little extra money. BTW I served during the Vietnam war but never even got close to the country. I was an Air Force guy who worked on some of the B-52 bombers that went over. My hats off to you Vets who served and were in action. Thank You.

I think if you research you will find that most of the gold deposited in that area and Ohio, are left over from the glacier retreat. It is usually very fine gold. If my mind serves me right, there was a campground in Ohio (Yogi Bear or something along that line) where you could pan for gold. http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/1...cts/geof09.pdf

Here is the best map I have and information on the area.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012