Thread: A snaring question...

Default A snaring question...

I know this is going to sound like a very basic question, but when snaring fox/coyote, how do you attach the end of the snare to the tree, log, etc? Loop it around? Attach with wire? Does the snare wire,up to the loop, need to be tight with no slack? Also, if you use thin wire to keep the snare in place, do you dye that wire too?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by BearMountain View Post
    I know this is going to sound like a very basic question, but when snaring fox/coyote, how do you attach the end of the snare to the tree, log, etc? Loop it around? Attach with wire? Does the snare wire,up to the loop, need to be tight with no slack? Also, if you use thin wire to keep the snare in place, do you dye that wire too?

Thanks in advance!
    For fox i attach about a 3 foot piece of 11 gauge wire to my cable with a ferrule i leave no excess slack in my cable so that the end of the loop is right up to the ferrule. For coyotes i use 9 gauge wire. When anchoring just wrap that wire around a small tree but be sure what ever you anchor to is not going to break because i have lost a couple that way and it kills me to know i had one and it got away and also that its probably going to die some where with a snare around its neck. ALWAYS boil and dye EVERYTHING, anything that is going into your set boil and dye it, cable, wire, ferrules EVERYTHING scent is key when snaring canines. Good luck!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	121120_0002.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	66002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	121130_0000.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	66003

I think that more important than worring about sent is trying to not disturb the area where you set the snare. You are trying to catch them totally unaware and focusing on walking down the trail or a large bait a distance away. Yes you don't want to set snares with lure on your fingers or gloves.
    Don't get me wrong I do boil my snares in baking soda but more to remove the shine than the sent. I am talking fox and yote snares here wolf snares are a whole other subject and paranoia is abundant about any smell on them
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Caught another one today!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	121202_0002.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	66063
    Snaring is Caring!

Just wanted to say "thanks" for the replies. I caught my first fox in a snare this winter and was thrilled. (Getting my wife to let my hang the pelt in the living room is a different matter entirely.) Thanks for the info and I think I'll try a similar setup to Buckwild next year.

Supporting Member

I hope you plan on getting your fox pelt tanned. Otherwise, it won't last near as long and your wife will be happier once it is tanned (smells more like leather and less like a critter).

Congrats BearMountain! Thats awesome you finally connected!!

I use a 60" 1/16 7x7 with a micro loc or cam loc mostly focusing on fox but picked up around a dozen yotes as bicatch this season as well. I use to use the wire pigtailed to the snare loop but it was a pain at the end of the season with clean up and storage. #9 wire does not bend back the same ever again. Plus I use around 20 dozen snares a season and find it quicker to just use wammies on my snares with #14 wire. less visable as well. I focus on scent also, everyone of my snares is pre packaged in a ziploc bag, one bag one snare. No mess with tangled snares this way. I think what otterman said about the area being disturbed is the biggest key and the one you have the most control over is you just slow down and think what you are wanting to do. Great job on your first fox!