Thread: Ak Hunting News: Caribou Return to the Seward Peninsula: An Alaska Native Elder's Perspective

Arrow Ak Hunting News: Caribou Return to the Seward Peninsula: An Alaska Native Elder's Perspective

This news clip is from Alaska Hunting News. Discussion is welcome. This news feed is robot generated.

For almost the entire 20th century, caribou were largely absent from the Seward Peninsula, changing the way of life of Alaska Natives living in the area.

In 2000, the Western Arctic Herd came onto the peninsula, again changing the way of life of people there; this time sweeping away domestic reindeer herds which wandered away with the caribou.

Alaska Native Elder Jacob Ahwinona tells the story in the Alaska Wildlife News.

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to webmaster@outdoorsdirectory.com.

Default Thanks!

Thanks for posting this; I am always intrigued by the way native folks did things "in the old days", and I have a lot of respect for the native elders. Good stuff.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

WOW! What a story. I agree that there is a lot of waste! Hunting with spears, That would be a rush for sure!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/