Thread: New towing sleds for wood or logs

Default New towing sleds for wood or logs

http://www.forestryforum.com/gallery...php?pid=124414

Some new sled I am trying out . Made of poly 12 ft long by 36" wide.

What do you think..?

Quebecnewf

Me likes it!

I like it, just depends on the cost. Are you building them yourself? If not where do I get one? If you could get a version that allows you to remove the sides, like a stake bed platform that would be perfect.

I use a medium sized Otter sled. I reinforce the sides with 2 X 2's cut to fit, 3/8" eye bolts along the edge to hold it in. I then reinforce the front so the hitch points don't pull out. Works well.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I use a medium sized Otter sled. I reinforce the sides with 2 X 2's cut to fit, 3/8" eye bolts along the edge to hold it in. I then reinforce the front so the hitch points don't pull out. Works well.
    What is an otter sled?...

Under what I consider normal use it would flex far too much and tear that box apart in no time. Have you seen these?

http://www.northernsledworks.com/

These are similar to what you're doing.

http://www.karyonbogan.ca/karyon/index.htm

I agree. Once I saw that wood box on that poly sled my brain instantly said "no way". I'd kill that thing in a day. If the box was made out of plastic it might be o.k.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

the otter sleds with UHMW runners are pretty hard to beat. Reinforce the eyelets as Dave mentioned. I don't have the frame reinforced with 2xs but that's probably a good idea! (though I haul on a pretty flat trail...usually)

When I lived in Nulato we used more like a freight sled. Same in Elim and Shaktoolik. But the snow was different than in Valdez. When you have as we did last year, 6-7 feet of snow on the ground, you don't want a sled that sinks. I usually find a tree and do a drive by so I have a loop going back to my main trail. Once that is done I down it and move the sled up to the smaller end of the tree and cut that up. Usually a lighter load I take her home and pack the trail. Work my way down to the base where the hard part starts. My eyes are not as good as they used to be. A 20" tree standing up usually turns into a 30" tree once down. So my last loads are gut busters.

The screw eyes work like this. I have a single length of rope that winds through all of them starting and ending at the front. Where the rope goes between the eyes on one side are carabiners. So I pull the ropes from each side across starting at the rear and pulling tight with the carabiner in the middle working towards the front. So you have a bunch of V's fastenened in the middle. Then in the front I only need to tie one knot to secure the whole load. Saves tying twenty knots.

I checked out that otter sled its one of those tub sled . Good for hauling a bit of luggage and small stuff. The other siglin sleds look goo but expensive. Mine retail for 350.00 for the 30" wide model and 380.00 for the 36" wide model. They are both 12 ft long.

Quebecnewf

Sounds good, but what about shipping to Alaska? Shipping usually turns a 'good deal' in to a bad deal up here.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Shipping can be a killer on any deal. That being said and I know you live in some remote settings if you Google my location you will see that I am remote as well. I have checked out other sled sites and their prices are not cheap to say the least. Better to have a good price from the start and then look into the shipping rather than expensive and then have to deal with shipping on top of that.

Google" Harrington Harbour Quebec"