Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

Thread: Homer Harbor Mouth Ice?

  1. #1

    Default Homer Harbor Mouth Ice?

    Just curious if anyone went out today. I decided not to go out because the marine forecast yesterday for today was for something in the order of 20 kt. winds and 4 ft. seas with freezing spray. Right now it looks like there might be a little wave action and absolutely NO wind. I see from the weather station at the end of the Spit that the wind speed right now is about 2.9 kts and the air temp 24 degrees. So much for the marine forecast.

    Also, from my window on the hillside it looks like there's a large mass of ice in front of the harbor mouth. If that's what it is, is it relatively solid or just stuff broken off from Mud Bay?
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  2. #2
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default Homer Harbor Mouth Ice?

    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354408426.539963.jpg
    Got out about 11:15, chunky but doable. Was open at the ramp, just lots of wind blown pan ice frozen up in the south third of the harbor. We got a small halibut and a smaller cod in the islands, josh got out earlier and stayed later at the bluffs, I think he got 5 or so.
    Was better when we came in about 2:30, ice was looser. Gonna get sketchy if it stays cold during the small tides coming up...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354408426.539963.jpg
    Got out about 11:15, chunky but doable. Was open at the ramp, just lots of wind blown pan ice frozen up in the south third of the harbor. We got a small halibut and a smaller cod in the islands, josh got out earlier and stayed later at the bluffs, I think he got 5 or so.
    Was better when we came in about 2:30, ice was looser. Gonna get sketchy if it stays cold during the small tides coming up...
    Thanks, Dave. I think I might move my boat tomorrow a bit closer to the harbor mouth. If I can! LOL!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  4. #4
    Charterboat Operator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Homer Alaska
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Ice was clear all the way when I went trolling this morning... However!! when I arrived at the end of the spit tonight..It was ****ed!!! It took me an hour to get from Lands End to to entrance!!! and during that time, I over heated twice!!! and had to clean sea strainers!!! At 1,100 rpms on both mains I was stop three times and had to back up and then ram forward to make way!! None of which my poor dam boat was made for!!!! any way.. as I have said many times before... just because you can get out... dose NOT mean you will get back....salmon fishing was great!! but that is nether here nor there!! please be safe and use your best judgement when departing Homer via boat! Good luck!!!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    Ice was clear all the way when I went trolling this morning... However!! when I arrived at the end of the spit tonight..It was ****ed!!! It took me an hour to get from Lands End to to entrance!!! and during that time, I over heated twice!!! and had to clean sea strainers!!! At 1,100 rpms on both mains I was stop three times and had to back up and then ram forward to make way!! None of which my poor dam boat was made for!!!! any way.. as I have said many times before... just because you can get out... dose NOT mean you will get back....salmon fishing was great!! but that is nether here nor there!! please be safe and use your best judgement when departing Homer via boat! Good luck!!!
    Yeah, thanks, Nemo. When I looked at the harbor mouth through my binocs out my window this morning I decided not to push it. Then I drove down just before noon just to see how bad it really was and was glad I didn't push it. Looked like a mess at that point in time. Looks as though the water/weather is going to be on the crap-a-riffic side for the next day or two, so hopefully things will clear up at least a bit by the time things "calm down" a little.

    BTW---how did you end up doing? I talked to Cliffhanger at the Nutcracker Faire just after noon and it sounded as though you hadn't gotten into any decent fish yet. Hope you found a good "pod" of fatties!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  6. #6

    Default

    I was just king of daydreaming today (I do that a lot when I'm not fishing and it always seems to revolve around fishing for some odd reason) and the thought popped into my head that maybe if there's enough interest the forum administrators might be willing to let us start a "sticky" thread for any first hand "Homer harbor ice situation" reports. Of course if there are only a small handful of people that would be interested in those reports then what's the point?

    So I just thought I'd ask on here and see how many people out there would actually be interested in something like that and how many people would make reports. I've always wondered why the harbormaster's office doesn't report the conditions even at least every few days, or when things are getting to the point that they are right now when things get really bad. Seems to me that a competent webmaster could set up an easy reporting page for such a thing. Yeah, it would be a little more work for people, but it seems like it MIGHT be a worthwhile endeavor. Just a thought.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  7. #7
    Charterboat Operator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Homer Alaska
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Yeah, thanks, Nemo. When I looked at the harbor mouth through my binocs out my window this morning I decided not to push it. Then I drove down just before noon just to see how bad it really was and was glad I didn't push it. Looked like a mess at that point in time. Looks as though the water/weather is going to be on the crap-a-riffic side for the next day or two, so hopefully things will clear up at least a bit by the time things "calm down" a little.

    BTW---how did you end up doing? I talked to Cliffhanger at the Nutcracker Faire just after noon and it sounded as though you hadn't gotten into any decent fish yet. Hope you found a good "pod" of fatties!
    Fishing was fun. lots of action! but small fish. hooked 10 boated 7 kept 6! not a fish over 10lbs. Islands all day. Maybe would have been better. but lot's of Orca Whales back there. every where... when I got out of the whales we started getting bit.

  8. #8
    Charterboat Operator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Homer Alaska
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I was just king of daydreaming today (I do that a lot when I'm not fishing and it always seems to revolve around fishing for some odd reason) and the thought popped into my head that maybe if there's enough interest the forum administrators might be willing to let us start a "sticky" thread for any first hand "Homer harbor ice situation" reports. Of course if there are only a small handful of people that would be interested in those reports then what's the point?

    So I just thought I'd ask on here and see how many people out there would actually be interested in something like that and how many people would make reports. I've always wondered why the harbormaster's office doesn't report the conditions even at least every few days, or when things are getting to the point that they are right now when things get really bad. Seems to me that a competent webmaster could set up an easy reporting page for such a thing. Yeah, it would be a little more work for people, but it seems like it MIGHT be a worthwhile endeavor. Just a thought.
    Are there cameras that show the harbor??? and if so how do we view?? I would keep it as a screen saver if I could watch the harbor all winter

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    Are there cameras that show the harbor??? and if so how do we view?? I would keep it as a screen saver if I could watch the harbor all winter
    There AREN'T cameras for viewing the Homer harbor, but it sure would help for those of us that would like to know that the harbor conditions are at any given time. Seward has a harbor webcam, but right now it isn't functional.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  10. #10
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default Homer Harbor Mouth Ice?

    As of 9:30 the fairway is clear, but there is ice between the floats and up to the bull rail to about G and H floats. I suspect that the ice outside the harbor will come in on the tide. And with the prevailing northerly building in the forecast and the lessening of the tides it won't be long until the wind packs the harbor and the ice sets up.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  11. #11
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,837

    Default

    I will be interested in the conditions.

    Of course the harbor is going to plug up - I am coming down on the 13th for cast/blast/spa weekend. I bought a snowblower (I live in ANC) this year and what do we have - Frost only......

  12. #12
    Member FISHFACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    There AREN'T cameras for viewing the Homer harbor, but it sure would help for those of us that would like to know that the harbor conditions are at any given time. Seward has a harbor webcam, but right now it isn't functional.


    Here is the seward web cam that works
    http://cam.majormarine.com/
    Boatless

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    As of 9:30 the fairway is clear, but there is ice between the floats and up to the bull rail to about G and H floats. I suspect that the ice outside the harbor will come in on the tide. And with the prevailing northerly building in the forecast and the lessening of the tides it won't be long until the wind packs the harbor and the ice sets up.
    Thanks for the report, Dave. I'm almost tempted to pull my boat just in case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I will be interested in the conditions.

    Of course the harbor is going to plug up - I am coming down on the 13th for cast/blast/spa weekend. I bought a snowblower (I live in ANC) this year and what do we have - Frost only......
    Maybe if we all think positive thoughts our combined thinking power will just melt the ice. At times there's a lot of "hot air" on this Forum and if we just divert it all to the harbor mouth THAT would fix things!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    As of 9:30 the fairway is clear, but there is ice between the floats and up to the bull rail to about G and H floats. I suspect that the ice outside the harbor will come in on the tide. And with the prevailing northerly building in the forecast and the lessening of the tides it won't be long until the wind packs the harbor and the ice sets up.
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    Here is the seward web cam that works
    http://cam.majormarine.com/
    Looking at that it pretty much says why, on second thought, a harbor webcam here in Homer wouldn't really be that useful. That Major Marine webcam shot really doesn't show exactly what's going on elsewhere in the harbor. My boat is in M float and as Dave said, and as I saw yesterday, there isn't any ice at all in between M and N floats, but there is from about J on down. So there would really need to be a webcam for each dock, and then one for the "fairway" and probably also one for the harbor mouth. As Nemo said yesterday it took him an hour just to get back in to the harbor from the end of the Spit. But the fairway inside the harbor was clear for the most part. So if you saw a webcam shot of the fairway and it looked totally clear you might go down to your boat expecting to be able to get out and then find that the harbor mouth is totally plugged. Guess we'll just have to keep on relying on each other.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  15. #15
    Charterboat Operator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Homer Alaska
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Looking at that it pretty much says why, on second thought, a harbor webcam here in Homer wouldn't really be that useful. That Major Marine webcam shot really doesn't show exactly what's going on elsewhere in the harbor. My boat is in M float and as Dave said, and as I saw yesterday, there isn't any ice at all in between M and N floats, but there is from about J on down. So there would really need to be a webcam for each dock, and then one for the "fairway" and probably also one for the harbor mouth. As Nemo said yesterday it took him an hour just to get back in to the harbor from the end of the Spit. But the fairway inside the harbor was clear for the most part. So if you saw a webcam shot of the fairway and it looked totally clear you might go down to your boat expecting to be able to get out and then find that the harbor mouth is totally plugged. Guess we'll just have to keep on relying on each other.
    k That's it!! Im going to go duck tape my Game Cam up on the side of petro fuel dock and watch up dates on my P.C.

  16. #16
    Member FISHFACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Looking at that it pretty much says why, on second thought, a harbor webcam here in Homer wouldn't really be that useful. That Major Marine webcam shot really doesn't show exactly what's going on elsewhere in the harbor. My boat is in M float and as Dave said, and as I saw yesterday, there isn't any ice at all in between M and N floats, but there is from about J on down. So there would really need to be a webcam for each dock, and then one for the "fairway" and probably also one for the harbor mouth. As Nemo said yesterday it took him an hour just to get back in to the harbor from the end of the Spit. But the fairway inside the harbor was clear for the most part. So if you saw a webcam shot of the fairway and it looked totally clear you might go down to your boat expecting to be able to get out and then find that the harbor mouth is totally plugged. Guess we'll just have to keep on relying on each other.

    The web cam moves on a timer. You can't see alll the way down to J dock ( I think J dock has one too), but you can see quite a bit. I used to use this all the tiime to check on my boat when it was in the harbor.
    Boatless

  17. #17
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,837

    Default

    I was hoping that Dave and Nemo would keep their boats idling until I can come down - you know, warm the water up and keep it movin a bit :-)

  18. #18
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    just looked at the harbormaster website, 12 degrees, 12 knots ENE, and a wind chill of -3.4.
    no thanks!

    http://www.cityofhomer-ak.gov/port
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    just looked at the harbormaster website, 12 degrees, 12 knots ENE, and a wind chill of -3.4.
    no thanks!

    http://www.cityofhomer-ak.gov/port
    Dave! Where's your sense of adventure!?!? LOL! Probably about where mine is in the cradle formed by my butt in my recliner!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  20. #20

    Default

    For those interested, as of about an hour ago the harbor is plugged with pack ice from JJ dock up to the mouth. I know I wouldn't even attempt to get out of the harbor today. And probably for at least a few days.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •