Thread: fuel gage ideas

Default fuel gage ideas

I have a 21' almar with a 454 inboard around the early 80's. needless to say my sending units don't word reliably worth a ****, do they make some kind of digital flow meter for those old 4 barrel carbs that can give me gph and gal consumed since last reset?? Also it has 3 tanks that I cannot get to the sending units with out a MAJOR overhaul. I don't need one for each tank just one I can reset to see how much I have used. My current GPH usage is.... alot... I would like to get alittle more accurate than that. Right now I use a dip stick and check it every time I stop but that is a pain.

Thanks for any help

Robbie

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by akguy454 View Post
    I have a 21' almar with a 454 inboard around the early 80's. needless to say my sending units don't word reliably worth a ****, do they make some kind of digital flow meter for those old 4 barrel carbs that can give me gph and gal consumed since last reset?? Also it has 3 tanks that I cannot get to the sending units with out a MAJOR overhaul. I don't need one for each tank just one I can reset to see how much I have used. My current GPH usage is.... alot... I would like to get alittle more accurate than that. Right now I use a dip stick and check it every time I stop but that is a pain.

Thanks for any help

Robbie
    Since its carbed (vs efi), I'd go with a fuel manager with an in-line transducer. I know that Faria makes one that would work just fine, but there are probably other manufacturers as well.

Floscan is a good one. I have one on my EFI 8.1L and it is VERY accurate. The model for the carbed engines is cheaper than the EFI.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Floscan is a good one. I have one on my EFI 8.1L and it is VERY accurate. The model for the carbed engines is cheaper than the EFI.
    I agree with Music Man. I have the floscan and would never run without it again. Get one with a totalizer and it will keep track of fuel consumed and it is very accurate once you calibrate it. This will work on your boat no matter how many tanks you have, it's just your job to keep track of what you burned while on whatever tank
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Garmin also makes them, I have one on my carb'ed V8, it is linked to my Sounder/plotter along with my VHF.

Lowrance and Garmin, both have inline paddlewheel sensors that connect to a multifunction gauge

This is garmins version.

GMI™ 10 Digital Marine Instrument Display
    Part Number: 010-00687-10

Lowrance has several, this is sthe smaller of the two:
    Lowrance LMF-200 Multi-Function Gauge

I have been using this on my OB powered riverboat and it works well as my "virtual" fuel guage, will read out in GPH also, and if you go one step further you can connect a GPS and get MPG, essentially a NMEA 2000 network......just a thought
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I like a yard stick. No problem with running the wires

Default fuel gage ideas

I would have to find them but I know they make stickers you can put on the side of aluminum or plastic tanks that will show you how much fluid is inside a tank. As the fuel goes down the color of the sticker changes and it shows you how much fuel is in the container I have to look around but I'm pretty sure It's much cheaper than other sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Longkj View Post
    I would have to find them but I know they make stickers you can put on the side of aluminum or plastic tanks that will show you how much fluid is inside a tank. As the fuel goes down the color of the sticker changes and it shows you how much fuel is in the container I have to look around but I'm pretty sure It's much cheaper than other sources.
    Trying that in a floating boat wont work!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Default fuel gage ideas

It does if your fuel tanks are in your motor compartment. It warms up the hot air above the fuel. Leaving the fuel to cool down the sticker. This would be a case-by-case basis but it would save you money how long run not having to run wires or fuel gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by Longkj View Post
    It does if your fuel tanks are in your motor compartment. It warms up the hot air above the fuel. Leaving the fuel to cool down the sticker. This would be a case-by-case basis but it would save you money how long run not having to run wires or fuel gauges.
    I personally havent seen many fuel tanks in the engine compartment, and not very handy to view if you have to lift the motor cover to look at the guage. The beauty of a NMEA setup is you dont need to run any wiring to the tanks. You simply input the size of your tank when you set up the system. The advantage of knowing real time MPG is very helpful to getting the most out of your fuel supply.

I have found the one I use to be very accurate and reliable, it has other functions that I find handy, such as engine trim, motor temp, oil pressure, and more. My system is hooked to the motors ECU. A carbed motor would rely on a paddlewheel sensor in the fuel supply so would not offer as much info, but as far as fuel management I believe it would be very accurate once calibrated. I plan to use this on another project I am working on so will know more when that is completed.

This system on a small boat may be overkill, but on a 454 powered boat such as the OP asked about it would be worthwhile.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR