Thread: Any Experience with CZ-527 mini-Mauser ??

Default Any Experience with CZ-527 mini-Mauser ??

Does anyone here have any experience with the CZ-527 mini Mauser in either .223 or 7.62x39mm ??
    On paper they sound interesting ...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I had one in 7.62x39. It was the carbine model with open sights and a turkish walnut stock. It was a petite little thing, the bolt was like butter too. The rifle had many great attributes, but the protruding detachable magazine was a bit too awkward for me. I ended up trading it off back in 2006.

I've got a buddy with two of them and I've used them some. Very nice little rifles. His were in .223 and a .17-223 wildcat.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I wonder if anyone even carries them up here...
    7.62x39 would be Ok with soft points and good loads.
    Makes me wonder why they did not go with a flush magazine like any other staggered box rifle mag....???

These guys carry a newer version w/out the protruding magazine. They are an internet gun company and will ship to a local FFL:

http://www.impactguns.com/zastava-m8...-ri1975-n.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I wonder if anyone even carries them up here...
    7.62x39 would be Ok with soft points and good loads.
    Makes me wonder why they did not go with a flush magazine like any other staggered box rifle mag....???
    Yeah, I wondered that too, and the flush 3 round ones are pretty much out of the question IMO. I'm not sure what your intentions are with the 7.62x39, but I always felt the cartridge doesn't do much for yah. It's not great for predator, there are better choices. It's not great for Alaskan big game hunting, there are better choices. It's not good for a brush rifle either, there are better lever action carbine choices. That's why I sold mine, I couldn't justify a use for it. I'm not exactly sure, but I do think browning still makes a micro-sized bolt action (dubbed the "super short action") for the 223 sized cartridges. The rifles weigh 6 lbs 6oz even with a 22 inch barrel. They also have a flush 5 rd. magazine. As much as I love my CZ 550, I'd take the browning micro bolt 223 over the 527:

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=035&tid=200

Chop the barrel 4 inches, and you'd have a micro bolt that weighs 6lbs even or slightly less, and a 5 round magazine. Just something to think about.

I'm not sure what your intentions are with the 7.62x39, but I always felt the cartridge doesn't do much for yah. It's not great for predator, there are better choices.
    I have 40 rifles in about 30 different cartridges. So I have no need, in fact I do not need 35 of the ones I have... I have been firing another 7.62x39 rifle with 156 grain soft points,,,, Russian factory stuff at that,,,, and they are going 2,200 fps from a 16 inch barrel, across my chornograph.. Which is all a 30-30 will do from a shorter barreled carbine...
    Don't need one, but it might make for a fun carbine and maybe a nice starter rifle for one of the grand-kids.

The Zastava is a different rifle than the CZ 527 I have a CZ 527 LH 223 very nice rifle and a Zastava LH 223 which is the Mini Mauser. You can get a
    after market flush mag for the CZ 527. The CZ is a nicer made rifle in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Does anyone here have any experience with the CZ-527 mini Mauser in either .223 or 7.62x39mm ??
    On paper they sound interesting ...
    Guessing your main inquiry is about the micro-Mauser 'Carbines' in .223 and 7.62x39...?

These short to intermediate brush or driven game guns are handy, fairly light, and fun. The concept is little bolt carbines that take advantage of relatively inexpensive ammunition particularly in 7.62x39 surplus (note the .311 bore). The package has a nice iron sight set-up plus the good integral base for convenient scope mounting. People I know who have 'em love 'em or they're just for fun or disappointed in general and are rid of 'em. In the rifles I've shot or been around... they performed no different (most worse) than more typical offerings, modifications, & action types for same given purposes. I was also not overly impressed with the older version of the varminter w/ HS Precision stock a friend had for a very short time. All in all, neat little package that I would not use for anything. Would make a great youth gun in my opinion.

The CZ in 7.62 x39 is a nice rifle that will outperform the 30-30 when reloaded. The standard 7.62 load is lower pressure than the CZ-527 and most bolt guns are designed to handle, by working up a load that is equal in pressure with the 223 the 7.62 will perform. Make sure the bullets you choose are the proper diameter for the bore; many American 7.62x39 rifles and the ammo for them are .308 bore whereas the european ones tend to be 311. The 311 european and mil-surp ammo will function in all american firearms since they are stronger than the mil spec rifles. It won't equal the 308 Win but it will give you a spiffy bolt action 30-30+P.
    The Micro-Mauser or Mini Mark X or Rem 799 has been around for 25 years or so and are actuall slightly modified mausers not a true M98 .
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I looked on the CZ web site and unfortunately they do not offer the 527 Full Stock version in 7.62x39mm. That would be kinda cute....

I have an old one in .223 with the 1 in 12" twist and it shoots 55gr and under wonderfully. Won't do 65 gr or 63gr near as well. If you want a .223 I'd check twist and get a newer one with 1 in 9".

Mine may become a .300 Blackout. If I had a 7.62x39 it would become a 6.5 Grendel.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.