Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for hand loading services

Default Looking for hand loading services

Looking for someone local to Fairbanks that hand loads to work up a load for my 300 winmag , PM me if you're interested. Thanks.

Advice from someone who's been "in the business" for over 25 years. DO NOT shoot someone elses handloads on your rifle. DO NOT shoot your handloads in someone elses rifle. ONLY shoot your handloads in your own rifle. I'm not just making this up...
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Advice from someone who's been "in the business" for over 25 years. DO NOT shoot someone elses handloads on your rifle. DO NOT shoot your handloads in someone elses rifle. ONLY shoot your handloads in your own rifle. I'm not just making this up...
    This is the best advice on this subject period.

If you want to handload your stuff but don't have the equipment then find someone who does and ask if they will help you handload for your rifle. I help a lot of buddies with handloading but they do the work and I give them advise.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

He didnít say he wanted some cheap handloads, he said he wanted someone to ďwork-upĒ a load for his 300WM. I don't take that as he wants cheap "handloads" where someone looks up a load on the web and run off a box Buba stile without any testing. I take it as he is looking for custom ammo, by someone qualified to work up a custom load through actual testing in the rifle itís intended for.

Long as he finds a combatant qualified person for the job there ainít nutin wrong with that. I do it all the time, I know Murphy and Marshal do (both extremely competent guys) and likely others on here . . . heck Hornady even does it in their custom ammo program. I donít know of anyone in Fairbanks doing it since Murphy moved though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

WHile I agree with ADFields' interpretation of the OP's intent, I have to second (well, third in this case) this comment. I worked at a gun range a couple of years down south, and the hand loads were, with rare exception, involved with the only times I ever saw dangerous situations.

Even if someone has an ammunition manufacturers license, I would advise against doing that. I've seen, recently, three major failures from someone up the road who is marketing their reloads at gunshows in the area, sold by the ziploc baggie, I might add. And this person supposedly has a license. In the end, best to load your own and work up your own load.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I would never load for someone else for the shear fact of liability. I feel I am very compatent with my tools and my knowledge to produce a load that will perform better than factory. I am not just swinging from the hip, but I would never load a single round for someone else, even if I had there rifle to test. You want custom handloads, you are welcome to come over and use my equipment while we drink some coffee and tell stories but I will not pull the handle.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Even if someone has an ammunition manufacturers license, I would advise against doing that. I've seen, recently, three major failures from someone up the road who is marketing their reloads at gunshows in the area, sold by the ziploc baggie, I might add. And this person supposedly has a license. In the end, best to load your own and work up your own load.
    Yea Iíve seen those cheap buba loads at the gun shows to and wouldnít touch them ether. some with the masave crimp and some braging stupid numbers. Also wont ever touch the surplus ammo or the old boxes of ammo thatís been who knows where doing who knows what for 20 years. No way, no how. IĎm very picky about what I feed a gun as IĎve seen what can happen right before my own eyes. The picture below was surplus ammo, guys there are reasons the military gets rid of the stuff!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	020a.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	66203

But where to draw the line? Alaska Backpacker, Buffalo Bore, Double Tap all started out as a guy with a press and arenít that far removed from there now. What about Hornady, or BOTW custom loadings, Corbonís top end hot loadings. Iíve seen 2 guns in the last couple months locked shut on Federal factory loads and IĎve seen squib loads from every major manufacture over the years.

Bottom line, great ammunition is made by competent people no matter if they work for Remington or themselves and junk is made by incompetent people no mater where they work too. Buy from combatant reputable people who know what they are doing, are willing to stand behind their product and no matter the size of the operation youíll be fine.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Buy from combatant reputable people...
    I know what you meant to type Andy, and agree wholeheartedly, but that there is kind of funny. (I prefer that my purchases don't involve combat, even if the combatants are reputable).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I know what you meant to type Andy, and agree wholeheartedly, but that there is kind of funny. (I prefer that my purchases don't involve combat, even if the combatants are reputable).
    Dang auto correct got me again. Itís odd how most of the time it plugs in a random word that kinda sorta fits in a humorous way like that.

I'd pass on the combat shopping too, in fact I try to pass on that every Christmas season . . . Always fail though as combat shopping, bad as it is, its still better than a combative wife.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I still prefer combatant in place of competent vs wide in place of wife!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I still prefer combatant in place of competent vs wide in place of wife!!!
    So . . . you got in trouble with the "wide" typo did ya?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Watched a buddy go down in flames with it on Facebook...

If you know what's goop for you, you'll pad attention when your wide says she wants to go shopping at those stores run by reputable combatants.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

I stink my wide goes shotting... see, that passed smell check!

I stink my wide goes shotting... see, that passed smell check!
    If ewe stink ewe passed smell check, maybe ewe smell check is broke. Ask ewe wide what she stinks when she dun shotting.
    #Resist

I think we are digressing here.

I think we are digressing here.
    Sorely.
    #Resist

I saw a Savage that exploded about a month ago. The guy used a pistol powder in a rifle case in a crazy attempt to extract more velocity. I've seen a few guys trying their buddies loads and not being able to close their bolt on a long case. I've seen lots of failures to fire during hand gun steel matches. I've seen a few bullets stuck in barrels due to a newbie forgetting to charge a case and the primer had just enough pressure to send the bullet an inch into the barrel. In that example the man holding the timer had enough snap to stop the shooter from sending another bullet down the pipe on top of the stuck bullet. These are the types of issues that rookies or tired, distracted, boozed up seasoned reloaders can experience.

I've also had a undesirable failure to fire rate from Buffalo bore in my 454 that was intended to be a tent revolver. Grizzly Ammo and others preformed just fine. The BB guy blamed my hand gun? A friend had a box of Nosler custom ammo made up for his M77 30-06 and couldn't close the bolt on a few cartridges in the box. Turns out his chamber was reamed to absolute zero spec. Most virgin brass is under sized making loading and fire forming routine in his rifle.

Reloading is quite fun and certainly enjoyable. I would help you if I was in the area simply because it brings me a lot of pleasure. Whatever happens get help from a seasoned person that follows established procedures and keep a neat work space. Reference several manuals and pick a powder that consistently appears to be used for your cartridge in all the manuals. Use new quality brass. Don't go for speed records, aim to make accurate consistent ammo.

100% Agree!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast