Thread: 6,5x5mm Swiss, convert to 6,5x51mm Wildcat

Default 6,5x5mm Swiss, convert to 6,5x51mm Wildcat

6,5x51mm Swiss wildcat.
    I have two barrels in 6,5x55mm Swiss .- One of them I want cut back the chamber, to make a 6,5 x 51mm Swiss wildcat.- Next use de new original chamber as it rest.- Too: Cut back the dies, to accept the new 6,5x51mm wildcat dimension.- Cut the 6,5x55 brass in 51mm, and swaging them.- Please tell me, there are any experiences in this matter, some ballistic Data ?? Is possible use .308 brass to make the new 6,5x51mm wildcat ??.- I clear that I now all the qualitys of the original 6,5x55mm Swiss, and the .260 Remington.- But I want use the original chamber as it rest.-

There is a 6.5 x55 Swede. It is the one and only. There is a slightly modified version for use in countries that ban military calibers and in is called the 6.5 SKAN. And there is the no longer a wildcat, 260 Remington, or the 6.5-08 or the 6.5x51 mm. It is and was a wildcat for some years first introduced to us by Jim Carmichael with a cat name like lynx, cougar, or something like that. Jim just loves cats.

As for a modification there would be no reason from any standpoint of accuracy or ballistics. If you just want to say you did I don't think you could just cut off the back end of the barrel and use the front half due to shoulder angle, etc. Either buy a barrel and chamber it correctly or leave an already near perfect caliber alone.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I too am confused about the "Swiss " part of your 6.5 x55mm question.
    Then I started to wonder if you were meaning the 6.5 x 54mm Steyr-Mannlicher-Schoenauer.

Are there any caliber restrictions in Paraguay?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Pedro,

If you have barrels for the 6.5x55 Swede which is .264" diameter barrel groove, you can cut the barrel off and rethread and rechamber to any shorter case dimension. If you rechamber to the 260 Remington (6.5x51mm), the shoulder angle of the brass is different. It will still work, but the dies won't be a perfect fit. They could be used but may not be satifactory even after cutting to 51mm. The brass would be easy to trim to length.

Are you sure you don't have a 7.5x55 mm Swiss rifle barrel? These are .308 diameter barrels and would be similar to our 308 Winchester (7.62x51mm)
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default 6,5x5mm Swiss, convert to 6,5x51mm

( I clear: 6,5x51mm Swede wildcat. )

I have two barrels in 6,5x55mm Swede in excellent condition.-
    One of them I want cut back the chamber, to make a 6,5 x 51mm Swede wildcat.- Next use de new original chamber as it rest.-
    Too: Cut back the dies, to accept the new 6,5x51mm wildcat dimension.- Cut the 6,5x55 brass in 51mm, and swaging them.-
    Please tell me, there are any experiences in this matter, some ballistic Data ?? Is possible swaging and fireforming .308 brass to make the new 6,5x51mm wildcat ??.- I clear that I now all the qualitys of the original 6,5x55mm Swede, and the .260 Remington.- But now, I want use the rest of the original chamber as it is .-

I believe that the head diameter of 6.5 swedish is larger than .308 win so you probably should not use 308 brass

Quote Originally Posted by 35gibber View Post
    I believe that the head diameter of 6.5 swedish is larger than .308 win so you probably should not use 308 brass
    Are you sure about that? I'm going from memory here but as I recall the Swede is .370" and the 308 is .373". The Swede tapers more and no this isn't such a good situation, but I think for what ever reason he is trying to make do with existant resources. I can't understand what Pedro is doing here but he has his reasons I guess.

Yeah, you're right. I just checked online and dimensions for the base of the 6.5 Swede is .380". That would give a little slop for the 308 case. Don't know if that would work so well or not. I have seen worse mismatch with case forming for wildcats. It would bulge the case out a little but if pressures were kept low it would be ok.
    Last edited by Murphy; 05-04-2007 at 09:46. Reason: I was wrong!

Default 6,5x5mm Swiss, convert to 6,5x51mm Wildcat

Today I find this article: 6,5x51 LPR by Larry P.Racine

The 6.5X51 LPR is a 6.5X55 Swedish chamber shortened by 0.150" from the base.
    This makes for a cartridge that holds about five grains less powder them the 260 Remington cartridge.
    The 6.5X51 LPR is formed from 308 Winchester brass by using a shortened 6.5X55 die.
    These dies are made up by Larry using a set of standard 6.5X55 dies or the customer can send in dies to be trimmed to the proper length.
    The 6.5X51 has the same trim length as the 308 Winchester, a maximum of 2.015".
    The combination of a longer case neck, smaller case capacity, and being able to form the cartridge from readily available cases makes the 6.5X51 an excellent a across the course cartridge.
    The advantage of the smaller case capacity is that it is more efficient.
    Simply put, the cartridge is able to produce the same muzzle velocity as the 260 Remington with less powder, which in turn means a longer barrel life.
    Many shooters in New England and across the country shoot the 6.5X51 and there have been articles in Precision Shooting about the cartridge.
    If you have any questions about the 6.5X51 LPR, feel free to contact Larry by e-mail or phone.
    It should be noted that the 6.5X51 LPR was designed for shooting across the course (from 200 yards to 600 yards) and was not intend for shooting long-range.
    We feel that the 260 Remington or 6.5X284 are better options for long-range shooting (beyond 800 yards).
    Contact: Phone603) 357-0055Larry@LPRGunSmith.com-,webmaster@lprgunsmith.com