Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headed your way

Default Headed your way

Hey there Alaskans,
    I'm a pilot from New Zealand, and headed up to Anchorage for a couple of weeks skiing from Mid December.
    I've always been amazed at the bush flying you folk do on skis / floats and tundra. Currently I fly in Canada.
    If anyone is keen to go for an Alaskan Amber and talk flying while I'm in the Anchorage / Girwood area or has any suggestions for my trip please let me know.

Cheers!
    Dillan

I hope there is some snow when you get here.

Quote Originally Posted by dillcanski View Post
    Hey there Alaskans,
    I'm a pilot from New Zealand, and headed up to Anchorage for a couple of weeks skiing from Mid December.
    I've always been amazed at the bush flying you folk do on skis / floats and tundra. Currently I fly in Canada.
    If anyone is keen to go for an Alaskan Amber and talk flying while I'm in the Anchorage / Girwood area or has any suggestions for my trip please let me know.

Cheers!
    Dillan
    You wouldn't happen to know Jules Tupper, New Zealand pilot for decades, would you? A friend of mine.

By the way, you'll love flying in Alaska if you find the opportunity !

Dillan
    I would try the DoubleMusky.
    http://doublemuskyinn.com/framed.html
    Kevin
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only

Thanks Kevin,
    Musky looks like a great place for a beer and they even have New Zealand lamb on the menu !

Hi Grizzly,

New Zealand aviation is very small, I have never met Jules Tupper, but I can guarantee he will know some aviator that I know.

I have read about him in a book called The Alaska Bush Pilot Chronicles, where he flew a piper cub around the most scenic parts of New Zealand (incredible glaciers, rainforest and beaches) In the book it mentions the similarities between flying in the New Zealand high country and Alaska in that bush flying is the only way to deliver supplies and people into the wilderness.

Cheers,
    Dillan

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    I hope there is some snow when you get here.
    I was thinking the same. Looks like there is good snowfall starting this week so hopefully that keeps up through December,
    http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts...esort/6day/top

Hi Grizzly,

New Zealand aviation is very small, I have never met Jules Tupper, but I can guarantee he will know some aviator that I know.

I have read about him in a book called The Alaska Bush Pilot Chronicles, where he flew a piper cub around the most scenic parts of New Zealand (incredible glaciers, rainforest and beaches) In the book it mentions the similarities between flying in the New Zealand high country and Alaska in that bush flying is the only way to deliver supplies and people into the wilderness.

Cheers,
    Dillan
    Dillan, you have now conversed with the author of The Alaska Bush Pilot Chronicles!!

Have fun on your trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Sig220 View Post
    Dillan, you have now conversed with the author of The Alaska Bush Pilot Chronicles!!

Have fun on your trip!
    Lost for words. I have located the mighty Mort Mason! Excellent book.

Lost for words. I have located the mighty Mort Mason! Excellent book.
    Just so there is no confusion, I was talking about Grizzly being a author, not me!! And I would agree, a excellent book!!

Cool, I wasn't quite sure.

Yep, sometimes after you push the submit button you wonder if your point was going to come across clearly.

The guys like Grizzley are the reason I hang around here, hoping the knowledge of flying will somehow infuse me!

Do you remember this Jack Daniels tv ad? I saw it probably 12 years ago in New Zealand, I just found it on the interweb:
    http://www.adforum.com/creative-work/ad/player/26117

Quote Originally Posted by Sig220 View Post
    Yep, sometimes after you push the submit button you wonder if your point was going to come across clearly.

The guys like Grizzley are the reason I hang around here, hoping the knowledge of flying will somehow infuse me!
    Thanks, Sig220, this old guy [not quite finished withhis flying career yet!!! I appreciates yuor comments. Don't forget the really knowledgeable buys like Mr. Pid, Float Pilot and a few others. Good guys all, and really good at what they do !!!!! It pays to listen to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Thanks, Sig220, this old guy [not quite finished withhis flying career yet!!! I appreciates yuor comments. Don't forget the really knowledgeable buys like Mr. Pid, Float Pilot and a few others. Good guys all, and really good at what they do !!!!! It pays to listen to them.
    Nope, I don't forget about "those" other guys, either. I hope you didn't mind me bringing up that you authored that book (and others), just thought it worth mentioning. Surely don't mean to diminish the knowledge/contributions "those" other guys (Mr. Pd, Float Pilot, et al) make!!

I am thankful for their posts of experience, reason and safety as well!!

Another vote for Double Musky.....I just hope you're not on a diet! You'll like Girdwood. I grew up there and had an Aeronca Sedan parked at the Girdwood airport for a few years.

There are a quite a few New Zealanders up here. I've run into a number of them who are pilots. Seems like quite a few helicopter pilots come from there. I knew a pilot named Dick Jones. He's a charactor...I don't suppose you've run into him, have you? I believe he's from the Lake Wakatipu area.

I'd really like to make a winter (for AK) trip down to NZ some day. One thing I'd really like to see "The Vintage Aviators" collection of WWI aircraft reproductions. Pretty amazing stuff they're doing....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Another vote for Double Musky.....I just hope you're not on a diet! You'll like Girdwood. I grew up there and had an Aeronca Sedan parked at the Girdwood airport for a few years.

There are a quite a few New Zealanders up here. I've run into a number of them who are pilots. Seems like quite a few helicopter pilots come from there. I knew a pilot named Dick Jones. He's a charactor...I don't suppose you've run into him, have you? I believe he's from the Lake Wakatipu area.

I'd really like to make a winter (for AK) trip down to NZ some day. One thing I'd really like to see "The Vintage Aviators" collection of WWI aircraft reproductions. Pretty amazing stuff they're doing....Louis
    G-day Louis,
    Sorry I don't know Dick Jones, it sounds like there are more New Zealand pilots abroad than back in the motherland. We like to travel because we are so remote. Around the area (Wakitapu) you are talking of, many operators fly scenic tours (Britten Norman Islanders, Caravans, C206, C185) out of Queenstown to an airstrip on a famous fiord called the Milford Sound. Its located on the South West Coast of the South Island. The 25 minute flight is basically a cross section of vast landscapes, dry barren hill country and lakes / steep mountains and glaciers - as you cross the Southern Alps / then dense rainforest as you descend into the Sound.

We do have a great deal of vintage aviation throughout New Zealand. If you make it down South you have to visit the Warbird's over Wanaka airshow - an hours drive from Queenstown. The airshow is our countries largest and runs during Easter every two years during April featuring the Spitfire, Catalina flying boat, Corsair, Kittyhawk, Havard, Vampire, Yak, Mustang and Tiger Moth. The Australian Air Force likes to do a fly by and show off, since we have no fighter jets at all. Also great reenactments in conjunction with troops on the ground. The next Airshow will show in 2014, http://www.warbirdsoverwanaka.com

Looking forward to checking out the Double Musky,
    Cheers!

Back in the mid 90s I was applying for an work exchange deal so I could live and work in New Zealand for a couple of years and somebdy from there would come up here.
    I managed to get over the part about being unarmed while on duty,,,, but the big stumbling block was the quarintine for my two dogs. I just could not have them locked up for such a long period of time.

The Australian Air Force likes to do a fly by and show off, since we have no fighter jets at all
    What do they have in the way of an Air Force ???
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Back in the mid 90s I was applying for an work exchange deal so I could live and work in New Zealand for a couple of years and somebdy from there would come up here.
    I managed to get over the part about being unarmed while on duty,,,, but the big stumbling block was the quarintine for my two dogs. I just could not have them locked up for such a long period of time.

What do they have in the way of an Air Force ???
    I got a good laugh about the part being unarmed during duty. In New Zealand the Police don't even carry guns, just 21' batons (communication sticks). It sounded like a good exchange deal they had during the 90s, now it seems nearly impossible to work in the United States. In the British Commonwealth it's much easier to apply for work permits and work in Australia / New Zealand / Canada since we are under the crown. Seems a waste that I can't use my FAA ATP although it's recognized in most countries around the World which is handy.

You would have had a blast if you were able to do a season or to in New Zealand. In the whole country there are just 10-20 float aircraft, our bush flying is mostly tail wheel C180s and stuff. The float pilots we do have are mostly Canadian who work season for season across the globe.
    If you get the chance, hire a camper and spend a month cruising around especially the South Island. Remember we drive on the Left (correct) side of the road.

Down in middle-earth our Airforce consists of a handful of 757 / c-130 / P3 -Orion and B200 aircraft, with an aging fleet of 15 Bell UH1 Iroquois brought from Uncle Sam after Vietnam. In fact due to our lack of equipment our pilots flew your helicopters during the war. We are more of a peacekeeping / maritime search and rescue / disaster relief / transport division for the South Pacific theater. We do have very well trained ground forces, our Special Air Service is deployed in Afghanistan right now.

Our next door neighbors in Aussie land have roughly 100 F/18s, previously they had F-111s. When the F111s came to the Warbird's Over Wanaka Airshow in 06, they did a low and over "dump and burn" display where fuel is ignited using the afterburner. This stole the show, set off car alarms and left us all running around like headless chickens.

Great website you have there. What do you do during the winter months? Any ski flying?

Cheers,
    Dillan

In New Zealand the Police don't even carry guns
    Back in those days that was my line of work. 1982-2002.. With some missed time due to reserve military deployments.

Ski flying is not very profitable around my area. So I do some winter gunsmithing, a lot of target shooting and euro traveling.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast