Thread: calling off the KP

Default calling off the KP

I have been predator hunting on the kp for the last couple years with limited success got a lynx last year and missed a wolf, have two weeks off coming soon and was thinking about getting out of town and heading north a ways to try my luck. Mainly to see if I could get into fox country and possibly get a crack at one. I have no idea where my odds of seeing fox begin other than that I saw a few this summer while driving through glennalen and paxon. would it be best to just head that direction and begin there? We dont have fox down here on the kenai and not sure where I would begin to be in thier zone. Not asking for peoples spots just an idea where to start. will be road based.
    Thanks for any input

I don't think you have to drive as far as Paxson or Glennallen to find fox. If you find areas with small creeks or rolling hills with some cover, they'll be in there. They like to hunt for small critters along the creek bottoms, but seeing them in that kind of terrain can be difficult at times. Setting up in rolling hills with some brushy areas can be real productive. If I were you, I'd drive and call my way towards Glennallen area, rather than just drive that far and then start calling. Watch for fox sunning themselves on the warm sides of the hills while you're driving. Sometimes you'll catch them balled up soaking in a little bit of sunshine, even in the dead of winter.

I agree with SnowCamoMan. Being that far south your best options are the Parks or Glenn Hwy. There are plenty of animals I've spotted while driving both of those Hwys. Best of luck to ya and let us know how your time off goes.

I thought the Caribou Hills might be loaded with them. I heard that after the fires a few years ago the rabbit population is really high..
    PC gag in place.

thats interseting..
    ive been told there are virtualy no more fox left on the KP, but in the trapping regs for that area i believe you are alloed to trap fox...
    i have never seen a fox in KP either.
    Anyone know more about fox on kp?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Sportsman View Post
    I thought the Caribou Hills might be loaded with them. I heard that after the fires a few years ago the rabbit population is really high..
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

In my almost 30 years here on the Kenai I've never seen one either. But the hare population is still up pretty good.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Default Re: calling off the KP

About 15 years ago I watched a white fox off of bridge access road. If I said it was an Arctic fox people would think I was crazy but that's what it was. I watched it for about 10 minutes chasing mice out there right off the road. I could have hit it with a rock it was close enough. I hear there are no Arctic fox this far south but who knows maybe it hitched an unintentional ride on a rig coming from the slope.
    I have had old timers tell me that years ago there were lots of fox and no coyotes and over time the coyotes took over and there are now no fox. Don't know if there is truth to that but over 20 years here and I have only seen the one.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    About 15 years ago I watched a white fox off of bridge access road.
    Ha!!! That's funny.......A few years back I watched a yote out across the flats off Bridge Access....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

There's a good population right here in Anchorage. You just can't hunt them.

I took a few photo's of a red fox by mile 70 of the Seward Highway (Turnigan Pass) five years ago. First and only red fox I have seen on the K.P. in 18 years.

0321tony, that is correct. Years ago there were lots of fox and fewer coyotes. As the coyotes increased the foxes pretty much went away. I spend a lot of time and do a lot of calling on the Peninsula and haven't seen a fox or even a track in years. Lynx do fine as they can go up trees when necessary.

There are fox on the K.P., not many in my estimation but, I have seen a couple of red fox in the past 36 years between Moose Pass and Soldotna.

seen a cross fox in cooper landing about 10 years ago, only fox I have seen down here. I have been seeing more coyotes in the last few years.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Theres actually a color phase for the red fox that is white. I saw one here a few years back and tried to get it, but didn't. The coolest looking fox I have ever seen. One of the old time trappers told me they called them "Snow Fox" and were actually pretty common during the fox fam days, and are seen more in areas that used to have fox farms in the old days.
    I'm Pro-Pike.