Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet guns for Dispatch???

Default Pellet guns for Dispatch???

Anybody with experience using a 177 or 22 cal pellet gun to dispatch coons or similar critters in traps?
    I am looking at a Croccman 1322 pump up pistol in 22 cal for some quiet use and at 450 FPS I am thinking it would do the trick up close????
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

A 22 short or sub sonic is just about as quiet and I bet ya done have a 22 around. A quality air rifle like Gammo (sp?) will sure work but I wouldn’t mess with cheepys and I’d lean toward .22 cal.

Back in the day when I trapped I didn’t poke holes in hides if I could avoid it, very seldom needed to shoot trapped critters. Generally I used a catch pole to get them down so they couldn’t nip then a boot on the neck and one on the chest. The boot on the neck usually stops blood supply to brain and knocks them out, boot on the chest stops both the heart and lungs. This kills surprisingly fast with no holes in the pelt to darn later and makes them sell for more. I used the same thing minus the chest part to live free non target critters, for me usually stink pigs, dogs, or ferial hogs . . . It gives ya a chance to get back before they wake up good and things “get a little western” as my Dad would say. I always wondered what I’d do with a lion (illegal to trap in AZ) but luckily my little traps never hung onto any, I was happy to loose a trap to them.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I hear ya Andy, I have dropped a ton of critters with a 22 using CB caps - very quiet and effective - however this scenario is not doable where I have been asked to rid some coons from and I might get by with a pellet pistol. The Crossman has a 177 that runs around 600fps vs the 22 at 460 fps - I have not run the weights of the pellets to see what kind of energy difference I would get but either at short range should make a head shot lethal I think? Last thing I need is for some ladies out walking their poodles to see me standing on a raccoon at daybrake!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

.22 benjimin pellet allot better then a .177 pumpmaster crossman, i had to chase a squirrel around the yard and shoot it 8 times with the pumpmaster.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I hear ya Andy, I have dropped a ton of critters with a 22 using CB caps - very quiet and effective - however this scenario is not doable where I have been asked to rid some coons from and I might get by with a pellet pistol. The Crossman has a 177 that runs around 600fps vs the 22 at 460 fps - I have not run the weights of the pellets to see what kind of energy difference I would get but either at short range should make a head shot lethal I think? Last thing I need is for some ladies out walking their poodles to see me standing on a raccoon at daybrake!
    Might be better than watching you chase the critter around the neighborhood. I'd vote for the .22 short.

Never occurred to me to try. I always just reversed my cruiser axe and with the head in my hand, popped them over the head with the handle. Crack, done.

I had a Crossman that I took apart, re-did the seals, increased the spring size. Using split shot, It easily blew threw 3/16" plywood panneling. On a cat, it was just the ticket in the intercity. Not that I ever shot one.....

The Crossman pump, coupled with "heavier, quality" pellets just might do the trick.

I just bought a Gamo Whisper Air Rifle .22 Caliber w/ Noise Reducer 950 FPS, 3-9X40 Scope for under $200 shipped. It moves a .22 pellet along at 950fps.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Difficult to imagine a setting where you can't safely use the CB short, but can use the .22 pellet. If it's truly suburban warfare and you don't want prolonged exposure to potential witnesses, just brain 'em with a short length of one inch pipe, stuff em in a burlap sack and move on.

If you're really urban, want to be really humane, clean and quiet (and a minor expense is not an issue); lower the animal into a 30 gallon steel trash can, apply the lid, and shoot a very generous dose of ether starting fluid into the can. (Just don't make any sparks until the operation is complete!!)
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Difficult to imagine a setting where you can't safely use the CB short, but can use the .22 pellet. If it's truly suburban warfare and you don't want prolonged exposure to potential witnesses, just brain 'em with a short length of one inch pipe, stuff em in a burlap sack and move on.

If you're really urban, want to be really humane, clean and quiet (and a minor expense is not an issue); lower the animal into a 30 gallon steel trash can, apply the lid, and shoot a very generous dose of ether starting fluid into the can. (Just don't make any sparks until the operation is complete!!)
    Been "braining" them with a pipe already, but gets a bit messy and not the fastest method for sure. Lets just say that if you mention a BB gun vs a real one it raises a lot less eyebrows....

Been "braining" them with a pipe already, but gets a bit messy and not the fastest method for sure. Lets just say that if you mention a BB gun vs a real one it raises a lot less eyebrows....
    Roger messy. Killed a coon with a claw hammer once in hand to hand combat. That was ugly!

Sounds like your options are limited.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I had a Crossman that I took apart, re-did the seals, increased the spring size. Using split shot, It easily blew threw 3/16" plywood panneling. On a cat, it was just the ticket in the intercity. Not that I ever shot one.....

The Crossman pump, coupled with "heavier, quality" pellets just might do the trick.

I just bought a Gamo Whisper Air Rifle .22 Caliber w/ Noise Reducer 950 FPS, 3-9X40 Scope for under $200 shipped. It moves a .22 pellet along at 950fps.
    That would be very sweet Dave, but size matters and it would be a bit obvious lugging that puppy around! I "almost" shot a cat by accident too!

the starting fluid does work good, ive done that one. but once they out i shoot them in the head with the .22 pellet.
    Semper Fi!

Well the whack-um method is best applied just back of the skull snapping the neck. Catch loop and you don't need to do warfare till ya vet home, just bag or box them. A tin trash can with lid hinges applied? Lots of ways ta get it done.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

How bout a 330 still on the end of a broom handle? Just thinking no eyebrows guy with walking stick and a backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_rob View Post
    How bout a 330 still on the end of a broom handle? Just thinking no eyebrows guy with walking stick and a backpack.
    Climbed into a dumpster yesterday armed with a 220 conibear, coon went from a friendly masked bandit to a sabre toothed tiger with a bad attitude! 220 worked but 30 minutes after getting his new necklace I still had a mad snarling coon to deal with. 220's are definetly not instant kills. A 330 would work, but a pain to lug around!
    Bottom line question is which would penetrate a coons skull better?
    A. 22cal, 14gr pellet at 450fps
    B. 177 7 gr pellet at 575fps

My vote is A

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Since you are talking about trapped coons, that I assume you have control over. Have you considered a long handled pole (5-6 Foot) with a forked end that you can use to pin their head down and then reach in with a second long handled pole with a knive like end to use to sever their spinal column? Just design the fork size based on the average neck diameter so they can't pull their heads back through.

Control and dispatch.

It would eliminate the need for the low powered gun that would scare the little old ladies, less brutal than bashing the coons, and less bulky than a barrel full of carb cleaner.
    Last edited by Ralph; 12-01-2012 at 06:25. Reason: spelling

I don’t think ether will reliability penetrate the brain box but I think the 22 has a better chance. Most city’s weapons ordinances class pellet guns same as any gun, can‘t discharge it. So if the cops get called by a passing urban dweller and ya got a bandit with a fresh pellet hole in it when they show up you could earn yourself a weapons charge on your record.

I’m a telling ya though a catch pole is just the ticket. I can shut up a bobcat or coyote with a catch pole in under a minuet and have him departed this world in less than two. Sounds barbaric but it works very well, kills fast, clean, and quiet without all the blood, thrashing about and squalling you’ll get from an ineffective shot/blow/stab. If there are city types around you look like the dog catcher with a catch pole, I trapped yotes in the allies of north Phoenix (amazing how far into the 5th largest U.S. city yotes live) as PETA types watched out their kitchen windows and never had an issue with the catch pole.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

ADfields has great points about the catch pole. It is the same concept I was refering to with the forked pole and spear method. A spear with a two-three inch long, 1/2 inch wide or smaller, double sided blade would work wonders; you would have the hole to sew, while strangling them would prevent that. You would certainly kill them quietly either way.

If you're just using to dispatch trapped animals I suggest 22 cal CB Longs, they feed in lever guns and bolt guns they however won't cycle a semi-auto. They are about as quiet as a pellet rifle out of my Winchester 67 and give you a little more working room than a steel pipe. Need a little more power for bigger animals use a short. I carry a CCI box of mixed 22 caliber ammo to insure I have the right power for the right animal so I don't do any unwanted damage to trapped animals. Gotta carry ammo anyway !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast