Thread: Pellet guns for Dispatch???

Default Pellet guns for Dispatch???

I have do some nusance control trapping for coons and was wondering if anybody had used a 22 cal or 177 pellet pistol or rifle for dispatch purposes? I looked at a Crossman 1322 model pistol - pump up, that supposedly delivers about 450 fps vel at 10 pumps - I am thinking at a few feet that would do the trick? Anybody with experience????
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

.22 short. If in an area I don't want people to hear the noise, .22 cb. An air rifle for dispatch is one more thing to carry that is only good for one purpose.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

+1 on the 22 CB's. You'll probably have to load one at a time - I've never had a rifle that would feed them - too short. In a revolver, you'd be set.

I use a snare on a pole, no blood to worry about and it's about as quiet as you can get

use some trip wires on handgrenades, that will take care of them pesky varmint.
    Semper Fi!

I use a Brown Bag!!!!!

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

you can strangle them pretty good with long mullet hair if you have to.
    Semper Fi!

best option is to get subsonic .22 ammo aprox 800-900fps no sonic crack way less noise, for what you'd spend on a new airpistol you could buy a couple thousand subsonic rounds, they work great on coyotes also, shoot them in the meaty part of the head between the eye & the ear, almost no blood what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by predatorhuntr01 View Post
    best option is to get subsonic .22 ammo aprox 800-900fps no sonic crack way less noise, for what you'd spend on a new airpistol you could buy a couple thousand subsonic rounds, they work great on coyotes also, shoot them in the meaty part of the head between the eye & the ear, almost no blood what so ever.
    I have shot coyotes in traps for years with a 22 short, behind shoulder - gets into lungs, coyote 99% of the time just lays down and drifts off very quickly - usually no blood left at site...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I have do some nusance control trapping for coons and was wondering if anybody had used a 22 cal or 177 pellet pistol or rifle for dispatch purposes? I looked at a Crossman 1322 model pistol - pump up, that supposedly delivers about 450 fps vel at 10 pumps - I am thinking at a few feet that would do the trick? Anybody with experience????
    As a kid in WA I trapped a ton of coons. At one point I was the youngest certified control trapper in the state of WA working with my dad. Tons of nusance calls. My dad made a living off it for a long time. With this said I had a .22 cal Benjamin pellet pistol that I got to use for this exact thing. I found out it didn't work very well on coons. I shot one several times before I ended up using a trap stake (I even gave it time and checked the rest of my line). From that point on I used .22 CB caps. They are great! They even work in the clip of my '64 Winchester bolt action .22.

Thanks, I was hoping someone had some experience and could give some inputs. I guess whackem and stackem - got 2 real nice ones today and a coyote!