Thread: Hunting license vs Trapping license

Default Hunting license vs Trapping license

I was reading about the alaskan trapping license regulations and it says its legal to use a firearm. Does that mean that you don't need a hunting license because you can hunt under a trapping license or am I misentirpreting something?

you can use a gun basicly as a trap to simplify it. if you can trap it in a trapping season with a trapping license you can shoot it. unless otherwise specified.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

But you can't call or go looking for a animal unless you have a hunting license or can you call an animal if said animal is ok to trap during trapping season with a trapping liscence?To simplify my question, can you hunt with a trapping license (with calls, foxpro's, ext) as long as it's the animals designating trapping season?

Quote Originally Posted by philipjames11 View Post
    But you can't call or go looking for a animal unless you have a hunting license or can you call an animal if said animal is ok to trap during trapping season with a trapping liscence?To simplify my question, can you hunt with a trapping license (with calls, foxpro's, ext) as long as it's the animals designating trapping season?
    Yes, as long as that animal is listed in the trapping regulations and is in season in the trapping regulations.

You can hunt trapping species and take the trapping limit on your trapping license, unless it says something specific about the area you're in.

You can use a trapping license to harvest furbearers under the trapping regulations with a firearm.

However, the hunting regs have different rules for harvesting some of the same furbearers with a hunting license. Page 124 of the hunting regs lay all of it out. Mostly for Beaver, Coyote, Fox, and Lynx.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    You can use a trapping license to harvest furbearers under the trapping regulations with a firearm.

However, the hunting regs have different rules for harvesting some of the same furbearers with a hunting license. Page 124 of the hunting regs lay all of it out. Mostly for Beaver, Coyote, Fox, and Lynx.

Exactly. Your best bet is if you want to get out and do some predator calling, go ahead and get a trapping license. It isn't much money and it opens a lot of doors. Since shooting is an acceptable form of trapping, as long as you have a trapping license, what you do is governed by trapping regulations vs. hunting regulations FOR THE SPECIES LISTED IN THE TRAPPING REGULATIONS. To my knowledge, the trapping regs will supercede hunting regulations for the species listed during the dates listed. When in doubt, it seems best to just have a hunting license AND a trapping license - then all your bases are covered.