Thread: Turnagain Pass Power Transmission Line Project

Exclamation Turnagain Pass Power Transmission Line Project

As seen in the snow macine forum..

The power transmission line going up Turnagain Pass is about to be rebuilt. I am the manager for the project. I would like to help keep you safe.

I currently have crews doing survey work and clearing the right of way in 2 areas. They are operating dozers, grubbers, excavators and hydro axes.

Friday we will begin drilling and blasting operations. This will eventually expand to 3 db crews, scattered along the right of way. They will be operating drill rigs, small cats and excavators.

Next week we are to start hauling the poles to our permitted lay-down areas. Excavating blasted holes will follow. More heavy equipment on the ground. Then spotting poles along the job. These are up to 110 feet long and WILL stop your snow machine.

The installation of 9 new drive ways from the highway to access the job is also about to start. Expect traffic control. (I can tell them to let trucks with AOD flags to go on thru! Wait, mine never arrived, never mind)

Gonna be lots going on in many areas. Most of it heavy and hard.

As the snow levels increase there are going to be more skiers and snow machiners in the project area. I ask if any of you are out there to spread the word. We will be maintaining a snow road for the length of the project. If we get snow like last year, it will be a trench across the landscape. At pole and anchor locations we will have large areas cleared of snow. By the middle of January there will be cranes, excavators, snow cats/ machines, helicopters and lots of trucks all over the portions that we are on.

After a fresh snow, these areas will be deadly to an oncoming snow machine or skier. Please use caution when near the power line corridor. Visibility is subject to change at any time on a mountain.

We are in the process of installing signs at parking areas and trail access points. I can be reached at three five one-nine six nine five.

I have done extensive permitting for this project. We are authorized to use motorized vehicles on both sides of the highway, including snow machines and 4 wheelers. We will make every effort to prevent damage to any groomed trails. If they cross or follow the power line, then all bets are off, sorry. Got to get power to the people.

A safe completion of the project is my mission. If you have any suggestions or can help spread the "be careful" word, then

Thanks!
    bullbuster }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

We have begun grooming on the non-motorized side of the highway. I am sorry I tore up one of the ski tracks. My track rig was struggling in the soft deep snow.
    It will soon be a regular snow road. Please watch for our materials and equipment along the right of way. We have been issued a special use permit and are allowed to traverse the corridor on any of our equipment, snow machines to large excavators.

Please use caution and enjoy the snow, it was awesome yesterday.
    }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Not sure, but is this the same company that did the powerlines around McHugh? Whoever replaced/fixed those lines left everything looking like it's a dump site.

I have been with this company for over 20 years and never heard of McHugh. McHugh Creek on the Seward Hwy, maybe, but we have never built a powerline there.

So no, it was not us. Thanks for the highjack though.

Now back to public safety....
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Wow, your first sentence in the thread says: "if you have any suggestions...".

I am sorry if I came off as an @ss, but I was asking a question and giving an example. Didn't intend to hijack your awesome thread, chief....now I will be an @ss!....maybe you want to make a "Public Safety" section???? It would be nice if the companies that have the equipment could haul out their trash...I'd rather not see the garbage when I am out "Alaska Backcountry skiing / snowshoeing".

Default Turnagain Pass Power Transmission Line Project

Coming here and posting is a simple public service bulletin considering the AOD is a major highway for all types of users.

I found it informative.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by ripnlip View Post
    ...now I will be an @ss...I'd rather not see the garbage when I am out "Alaska Backcountry skiing / snowshoeing".
    You can say that again!

As far as the debris goes...it is already part of our work plan to walk the 15 miles next summer.
    My purpose here is to warn of materials and equipment under the snow, along with changing trail conditions.

Be careful out here.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I am not afraid to admit it, hahaha.

Thanks ahead of time for putting forth the effort for cleanup.

Just a heads up to you skiers. We are now fully involved on the east side of the highway. Extra caution is needed crossing the powerline and our access routes as it is a change in conditions. Expect rough hard crossings. It is only 100' wide though.

There are large pieces of equipment traveling both directions. Please avoid contact. There are also snow machines up and down the trail. Some of them are hauling large akward loads.

We have extended our snow road from north of the rest area south to the Bertha Creek canyon. Our access trails are random along that section of line, extending from the highway to the powerline.

Be safe and enjoy the snow. Keep the pointy things down.

Thanks }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Re: Turnagain Pass Power Transmission Line Project

Can I get a lift on the cat?

Where ya going?
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it