Thread: Turnagain Pass Transmission Line Project Mile 75 to mile 60

Exclamation Turnagain Pass Transmission Line Project Mile 75 to mile 60

The power transmission line going up Turnagain Pass is about to be rebuilt. I am the manager for the project. I would like to help keep you safe.

I currently have crews doing survey work and clearing the right of way in 2 areas. They are operating dozers, grubbers, excavators and hydro axes.

Friday we will begin drilling and blasting operations. This will eventually expand to 3 db crews, scattered along the right of way. They will be operating drill rigs, small cats and excavators.

Next week we are to start hauling the poles to our permitted lay-down areas. Excavating blasted holes will follow. More heavy equipment on the ground. Then spotting poles along the job. These are up to 110 feet long and WILL stop your snow machine.

The installation of 9 new drive ways from the highway to access the job is also about to start. Expect traffic control. (I can tell them to let trucks with AOD flags to go on thru! Wait, mine never arrived, never mind)

Gonna be lots going on in many areas. Most of it heavy and hard.

As the snow levels increase there are going to be more skiers and snow machiners in the project area. I ask if any of you are out there to spread the word. We will be maintaining a snow road for the length of the project. If we get snow like last year, it will be a trench across the landscape. At pole and anchor locations we will have large areas cleared of snow. By the middle of January there will be cranes, excavators, snow cats/ machines, helicopters and lots of trucks all over the portions that we are on.

After a fresh snow, these areas will be deadly to an oncoming snow machine or skier. Please use caution when near the power line corridor. Visibility is subject to change at any time on a mountain.

We are in the process of installing signs at parking areas and trail access points. I can be reached at three five one-nine six nine five.

I have done extensive permitting for this project. We are authorized to use motorized vehicles on both sides of the highway, including snow machines and 4 wheelers. We will make every effort to prevent damage to any groomed trails. If they cross or follow the power line, then all bets are off, sorry. Got to get power to the people.

A safe completion of the project is my mission. If you have any suggestions or can help spread the "be careful" word, then

Thanks!
    bullbuster }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    The power transmission line going up Turnagain Pass is about to be rebuilt. I am the manager for the project. I would like to help keep you safe.

I currently have crews doing survey work and clearing the right of way in 2 areas. They are operating dozers, grubbers, excavators and hydro axes.

Friday we will begin drilling and blasting operations. This will eventually expand to 3 db crews, scattered along the right of way. They will be operating drill rigs, small cats and excavators.

Next week we are to start hauling the poles to our permitted lay-down areas. Excavating blasted holes will follow. More heavy equipment on the ground. Then spotting poles along the job. These are up to 110 feet long and WILL stop your snow machine.

The installation of 9 new drive ways from the highway to access the job is also about to start. Expect traffic control. (I can tell them to let trucks with AOD flags to go on thru! Wait, mine never arrived, never mind)

Gonna be lots going on in many areas. Most of it heavy and hard.

As the snow levels increase there are going to be more skiers and snow machiners in the project area. I ask if any of you are out there to spread the word. We will be maintaining a snow road for the length of the project. If we get snow like last year, it will be a trench across the landscape. At pole and anchor locations we will have large areas cleared of snow. By the middle of January there will be cranes, excavators, snow cats/ machines, helicopters and lots of trucks all over the portions that we are on.

After a fresh snow, these areas will be deadly to an oncoming snow machine or skier. Please use caution when near the power line corridor. Visibility is subject to change at any time on a mountain.

We are in the process of installing signs at parking areas and trail access points. I can be reached at three five one-nine six nine five.

I have done extensive permitting for this project. We are authorized to use motorized vehicles on both sides of the highway, including snow machines and 4 wheelers. We will make every effort to prevent damage to any groomed trails. If they cross or follow the power line, then all bets are off, sorry. Got to get power to the people.

A safe completion of the project is my mission. If you have any suggestions or can help spread the "be careful" word, then

Thanks!
    bullbuster }:>
    Thanks for taking the time to tell us this......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for the heads up!

Bullbuster,

If you haven't already, you should also post this on the Backcountry Rebel site in the Alaska section. Quite a few guys on there that ride Turny.

Good idea, thanks.
    Someone on here is associated with the Alaska Snowmachine Club, any idea who?
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I think that Erik in AK is a member.

Cool, good on you for notifying folks. I can imagine the nightmare it will be to maintain the barricades and safety equipment!

Not sure where "mile 75 to 60" is. Is there a map on the web of the project area?

Quote Originally Posted by Dinglishna View Post
    Not sure where "mile 75 to 60" is. Is there a map on the web of the project area?
    For points of reference, 75 is the bottom of Turnagain Pass (on the Girdwood end). MP 69 is the top of the pass (just north of the big turnouts). Essentially, this runs the full length through Turnagain Pass.

Yes, it is from Ingram Creek at the bottom of the pass, sea level up to Silvertip Creek, about 15 miles.

I made a map, let's see if this works. The blue colored highway is the project area.

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Erik in Ak is with the Anchorage Snowmobile Club. I am with the Alaska State Snowmobile Association. We will be posting this info and updates. I will also add it to the Back Country Rebels Site.....Thanks...

kevin
    Last edited by keh; 12-04-2012 at 09:17. Reason: additions
    2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    20' Alumatech Airboat
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow

I received a report yesterday of 6 steel culverts being damaged by snow machine collisions. That had to hurt the sleds and maybe the riders.

These are steel and 3' across and 10' long. To bend one it would have to be hit hard.

Please be careful and observe all warning signs. If you hit one of the power poles lying on the ground, it will mess you up.

There are numerous pieces of equipment along the power line corridor. We are starting back up tomorrow and it will get more crowded.

Go slow and help us keep everyone safe.
    Thanks }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

what out for the culverts covered in snow!!!! saw a lot of people riding around them.

We are trying to keep them marked with 2x4 and lathes. Not all markers are staying upright though. A lot of the culverts have been stood on end to be more visable. The poles are still under the snow, so be careful.
    There are also some heavy concrete slugs out there unmarked and lurking.

It is a construction zone so be very wary. If you are in the powerline right of way, you are riding thru hard and heavy materials that are out of sight. If it looks like a nice kicker to jump off of, it needs to be looked at first.

We are now on both sides of the highway, even the non-motorized side.

It is some good snow right now so ride hard and ride with common sense. THe avalanche danger is high right now also.

Thanks }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Was up there yesterday. Lots of markers and day glo orange paint. GOOD JOB!! If you are not riding over your head and watching out my guess is you should be fine. There are some colverts laying down with day glo orange paint on the ends, but with all the snow the day glo is getting hard to see....
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Thanks for the comment. Specific locations or areas can help me correct any conditions we don't like. If the snow keeps coming like it is, things will be safe. I think we hit 7' along the top of the mountain today.

I did see 2 culverts still on their side up on the north end. Where they were made that pretty safe, the 2 by the weather-station will be marked again tomorrow. Standing them on end helped a lot. Painted 2X4s on some seem to be staying put.

Those young bucks were burning some fuel today in the deep powder. The crowd today seemed real respectful of the equipment. I was happy to see them go way around thru the deep deep powder.
    If they all act like that, I don't have a problem sharing the road.

Thanks again and don't hesitated to note any problems
    }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Sounds like you got it well in hand. Specific location HMMMMMMM. The culverts on there side are right where the trail to the powerline from your equipment area and rest of the plowed tail comes to gether. (if i remember right)
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

I was up there last weekend and there isn't a lick of "powder" anywhere in the Pass. It was mixed rain/snow with almost zero visibility. What was on the ground was super dense, heavy & wet, and about a foot down it turned into sugar. Really crappy snow conditions up there, at least last weekend through Monday. We ended up only ticking off about 14 miles on our odometers because you couldn't go anywhere fast due to flat lighting, heavy precip, and zero terrain contrast. Wx forcast is for continued warm & rain...
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

We had a surprise safety inspection by the Feds on Friday. They were very impressed with the project and the effort we are putting into marking the obstacles. They also mentioned a few times how the public seems to be politely getting out of the way as we made our way along the job.

I give that credit to the fact that the sled heads recognize this is a cooperative effort to keep the Turny area safe for both sides of the equation.

Thanks for the help keeping the word out on our project. Seems to be working. Even the guys that got hung up getting out of the way gave us a friendly wave as we crawled past.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Still out there

It was starting to snow when I left. We could use some fresh.

We now have groomed trails for most of the line. Please observe your surroundings and be cautious around the powerline corridor.

We are also groomed in areas away from the powerline to facilitate moving equipment. If you are on a groomed trail, be very careful and keep a good distance away from the equipment.

Everybody has been great and I appreciate that.
    }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it