Thread: Horseback hunting thread.

Default Horseback hunting thread.

I was just wondering if there would be any interest by forum members in a horseback hunting type thread? I know its sorta cost prohibive in Ak to own livestock let alone a place to keep them but just the same I know there are members who own or may know someone with a horse or mule and may the interest would be there to have people share some of there know how on packing and traveling with stock in the back country.I"ve owned and used packstock for years in alaska and the lower 48 and they really add a whole new concept to the whole hunting thing. Just leading a pack mule or horse on foot opens up a lot of hunting areas you might never have tryed without. Just a thought. Ron.

You have my attention.

I love hunting from a horse packed camp.

I don't like taking care of horses when I am hunting - or should I say, I don't like worrying about them while I am hunting.

Ever have a catamount circle your horse while she's tied up to a tree? Makes the ride back to camp more 'citing don't it!

Same in Griz country - love riding into the hunting grounds in the dark in Griz country - keeps things 'citing!

I came across a sign up Bird Creek - twas a paper plate with writing on it - with a boolit - said "Danger - Dead Horse In Trail" - - I was glad the sign was there - got a little hair standing up on my neck when we snuck up on the dead horse with pistol in my hand any my uncle had his arrow knocked.

The horse broke a leg it looked and then took a boolit to the head. Bad deal for the wrangler and even worse for the horse.....

great idea. our families first experience ended with pack donkies getting our moose back to the road. looked like lots of work and different skill set than i have. but - would like to learn about using them.
    wes
    Quote Originally Posted by shanksmare View Post
    I was just wondering if there would be any interest by forum members in a horseback hunting type thread? I know its sorta cost prohibive in Ak to own livestock let alone a place to keep them but just the same I know there are members who own or may know someone with a horse or mule and may the interest would be there to have people share some of there know how on packing and traveling with stock in the back country.I"ve owned and used packstock for years in alaska and the lower 48 and they really add a whole new concept to the whole hunting thing. Just leading a pack mule or horse on foot opens up a lot of hunting areas you might never have tryed without. Just a thought. Ron.

I'm always interested learning about new stuff...especially stuff that can get me into the backcountry more efficiently. Not limited just to horses I'd imagine-

A friend of mine just bought a small farm and is researching alpacas as a pack animal and I saw a family with a llama on the Appalachian trail thirty years ago- pretty neat critters. Not sure either of them could carry big game loads but I'd certainly like to hear about it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

llamas make great pack critters if they are trained right to begin with (could be said for any critter). They, however, don't provide the ride that a good saddle horse does. If you are taking horses where llamas are going to be, you will want to get your horses used to llamas - I learned this the hard way on a skinny trail.

I would also imagine that your llamas could make for a good griz bait too..........

Sounds like there might be a little interest in this type of thing and I would like to talk to any one about useing livestock in the field. My dad had horses and I started out riding a welch cross pony when I was about 6 but didnt get back into horses untill we moved out to Mat valley and my wife and daughter got a couple of mares to ride. Next thing you know I bought a book on horse packing and had a string of pack and riding geldings plus a bigger trailer and all the gear to go with it. Then I had to figure out a way to pay for this overblown "hobby" so I got an ass guide license and went to work for a couple different reg guides.There is alot of great hunting in the Chugaches close to Anch and lets you hunt something like moose alot farther away from the road system.Before I had plenty of horses I did several hunts by just riding a couple horses in and putting pack bags over the riding saddles and leading them out. Sure beats packing moose meat on your back.Has to be some other packers on here somewhere. Ron.