Thread: Bayliner 2859 auxiliary fuel storage options

Default Bayliner 2859 auxiliary fuel storage options

What options are available for additional fuel capacity on these boats?

Greg

I have in the past used the square area under the aft center section of the vee berth as a fuel storage area on two separate 2859's.

If you do not cut out the opening then you can fit a 38 gallon tank there. If you cut out the opening then you can fit a 50 gallon tank there.

A less intrusive tank method I also used on our 2859 was to install two portable 27 gallon tanks (available from West Marine) on the foredeck. These tanks utilized a holly marine fuel pump to transfer fuel from them to the main tank. I routed the hose behind the galley and head to the engine compartment.

I was very happy with both tank installs and used the extra capacity to chase Ling Cod as far out as seal Rocks in the gulf of Alaska from our home base in Whittier.

Thanks Kevin. I have purchased a beautiful 2000 2859 from down in the lower 48 and know from experience with my 24' Trophy (which will be for sale this spring) that the fuel tank is insufficient for any extended runs into PWS. Question though, did you find the location of the extra fuel to have any affect on the performance of the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by greg01alaska View Post
    Thanks Kevin. I have purchased a beautiful 2000 2859 from down in the lower 48 and know from experience with my 24' Trophy (which will be for sale this spring) that the fuel tank is insufficient for any extended runs into PWS. Question though, did you find the location of the extra fuel to have any affect on the performance of the boat?
    Carrying a hundred gallons of extra fuel creates a circle of performance vs range that there is no good way to solve. You get lower fuel economy and cruise speeds on your outbound trip but as you burn off the fuel that changes.

For me it was how do I go where I can consistantly catch limits of large halibut and Ling Cod. The answer is to go to the Gulf Of Alaska on the hinchinbrook entrance side. There is less pressure there and more large fish. Because of that I had to carry the fuel, and not get upset at $500+ fuel bills for a weekends fishing.