Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Driving a truck on Long Lake

  1. #1
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,161

    Default Driving a truck on Long Lake

    Does or has anyone drive trucks out on Long lake? How about this season so far? Reported is 24"; more than enough to support my older model Toyota Tacoma but I'm not sure if there are flows or springs in that lake that cause areas to weaken or create less ice. Was thinking about fishing out there tomorrow but this wind is making me derive a Plan B. The reason I'm posting is a truck would be a nice wind break and anchor to set up the quickfish and to keep it from becoming a giant wind catch/kite. I'm apprehensive to be the first to drive a truck on ice, especially a lake I'm not yet very experienced with. Your thoughts and words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

    -Dan
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  2. #2
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    The Long Lake at mile 86 of the Glen that is, so not to be confused with other bodies of water that share the name.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  3. #3
    Member ak_cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    Long lake at Mile 86 has a solid 24" right off the boat launch.
    F&G stocked a bunch of char the other day and had their F550 with 400gal of water and fish on it with no problems. Another guy was way out in the middle with his full size truck and ice shack.

  4. #4
    Member greythorn3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chasin the ladys! away!
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Long lake at Mile 86 has a solid 24" right off the boat launch.
    F&G stocked a bunch of char the other day and had their F550 with 400gal of water and fish on it with no problems. Another guy was way out in the middle with his full size truck and ice shack.


    stocked you say! sounds like a good place to head friday, what setup is used to chatch them char?
    Semper Fi!

  5. #5
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    sounds like a good place to head friday
    There goes the neighborhood....
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    142

    Default

    I Have seen a few vehicles out there but i always drill test holes as i go if i have any doubt.

  7. #7
    Member ak_cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    stocked you say! sounds like a good place to head friday, what setup is used to chatch them char?
    They dropped in about 50 brood stock. So they haven't been fed for the last couple weeks, I'm sure anything shiny or tasty will get their attention. I was told they'll be fairly shallow until they get acclimated to the lake and move deep....if that helps

  8. #8
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default



    aero jigs I hear work really good?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  9. #9

    Default

    I have been there twice this year the ice is 20" 24 " on sat there were 8 trucks out there I was one . tues we were the only ones out there we did catch fish very shallow 2' to 7' had our tent in 20' but did not catch any in the tent.someday I will put my tent up where there are fish! You can see the fish swimming in the shallows through the ice its pretty cool spot and stalk ice fishing! Aero jig did well caught all the fish that day, light pink color.GOOD LUCK!!!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    357

    Default

    It's been cold enough as of late so it's not an issue this year. But something to consider at the beginning of the season: where you first come on the lake is very shallow so it freezes faster and the ice will be much thicker than the middle of the lake. Found this out one year after driving out there with a buddy in his toyota P.U. Checked ice thickness at approx. 18" drove down to the far end it was only about 8" During heavy snow years the far end that's protected from wind can get pretty bad overflow. Probably won't be too bad this year.

  11. #11

    Default

    I have my hardside out there this year, put it out last weekend with my quarter ton crew Chevy no problem. If you see me out there feel free to say hi, I only live ten minutes away so I'll be there lots this year with my kiddos. Long lake froze over well this year and it looks like the ice will be pretty consistent. I would keep checking it past two thirds down.

  12. #12
    Member greythorn3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chasin the ladys! away!
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishermanjake View Post
    I have my hardside out there this year, put it out last weekend with my quarter ton crew Chevy no problem. If you see me out there feel free to say hi, I only live ten minutes away so I'll be there lots this year with my kiddos. Long lake froze over well this year and it looks like the ice will be pretty consistent. I would keep checking it past two thirds down.
    ill let myself in and warm it up tell you get there. we can catch some fish.
    Semper Fi!

  13. #13

    Default

    Someone did last time around, they spit chew on the ice, broke my door handle, and peed on my chimney pipe. My fatherinlaw caught them and chewed them out but let them get away before I surveyed the damage. Like I said I live ten minutes away and know people who travel by every day. So it's kind of a sore subject to me the idea of people breaking in to use it. I know your just joking, but I dont apreciate it when my buttons get pushed trying to provide a good hobby for little boys.

  14. #14
    Member greythorn3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chasin the ladys! away!
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishermanjake View Post
    Someone did last time around, they spit chew on the ice, broke my door handle, and peed on my chimney pipe. My fatherinlaw caught them and chewed them out but let them get away before I surveyed the damage. Like I said I live ten minutes away and know people who travel by every day. So it's kind of a sore subject to me the idea of people breaking in to use it. I know your just joking, but I dont apreciate it when my buttons get pushed trying to provide a good hobby for little boys.
    i wouldnt do any damages at all, i respect others property and i expect the same to me, but a ice house being unused is really tempting to get in a and use.
    Semper Fi!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    205

    Default

    The corner of the lake to the right of the entrance can be real thin all year long. A ford explorer's front end broke all the way through the ice in february in 2004 and had to be winched out. Ice in other places on the lake was close to 30" thich

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    .........a ice house being unused is really tempting to get in a and use.
    And this is why I learned not to build/leave hard sided shanties on lakes, and even why not to buy/build an incredibly expensive and taxed cabin in the woods. The cabin is even worse than the shanty, what with the squirrels, porcupines, and bears, not to mention people.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •