Thread: Tanned bear hide worth?

Default Tanned bear hide worth?

So I have a few tanned full size bear hides (Black) I want to sell so I can get a few things for my boat. What's a good tanned mountable hide going for up here? Would sell them on eBay but they still kick it off as being illegal
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Less than what it costs to have them tanned. I don't know what the market is at all though. I would think that you could get a buck fitty to two hundred for a good solid fur blackie. They make wonderful coats and gloves.

You can get a good sense on the price by looking at Moscow Hide and Fur's website. They'd probably be willing to buy them off of you too. Back in college they would buy shed antlers by the pound, and untanned deer capes. Used to make beer money caping people's bucks in the fall and selling the cape. Then shed hunting in the spring.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Roger,

Unless you need the money right now, I would recommend waiting until the Fur Rondy auction the end of February. If I remember right, they bring a good price there.

Randy

Didn't know it was legal to sell bear hide in AK?

Quote Originally Posted by H20Dogg View Post
    As per page 25 of the big game hunting regulations: "Black bear hides and skulls may be sold, but they must be sealed prior to sale."

Quote Originally Posted by H20Dogg View Post
    "Black bear hides and skulls may be sold, but they must be sealed prior to sale". (page 25 of the 2012-2013 regs booklet).

This was a fairly recent change.

Unfortunately, You will not get out of them what you paid for tanning unless they are really big bears.

Your best bet is to go on Taxidermy.net & advertize them.

You will only get about $250. to $400. depending on Size, Fur quality & AGE of Tanning.

You had better make sure that you put a note on the add that they are ALASKA Black Bears & that they ARE legal to sell.

Otherwise your going to get some one that thinks they know the laws & says they are illegal.

Just for your info, YES it is legal to sell any Black Bear part AS LONG AS IT IS NOT MOUNTED.

You can Also sell GRIZZLY skins IF they come from certain Grizzly Management areas & are Sealed by AF&G with a special seal.

Ebay Is headquartered in CALIFORNIA & the sale of any Bear parts are not legal to sell there, Thats why they will not let you advertise them on there.

Good luck
    RJ Simington

I would try Craigslist in several bigger cities or even local.

Do you have pic's that you can send?

Pro taxidermy gave you most of the good info. Craiglist is also good. They only have to be sealed if they come from a unit that requires sealing.
    If you advertise them as mountable, they better be mountable. Lots of work to prep a hide before tanning to be mountable.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks, I bought these at the F&G auction a few years ago and had them tanned. Gave them to family for gifts. Just have 1 left Would only make a good wall hanging. Has a couple of bald spots. Not mountable, I have been a taxidermist for a long time. It would take some work on this hide but I would only use it for decoration or clothes. A far a Ebay goes I guess it's who's watching. There were 3 bear hides sold in the last week (Check ended auctions) as soon as I listed mine it came off. If your interested let me know $180 includes shipping here or lower 48

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!