Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: unit 6 deer hunt E/O

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

About time. At least the snow isn't too bad yet. Hopefully this winter won't be as bad as last for snowfall. I totally agree with this shutdown.

Way to go Fish and game, I think this is a great idea.

Hopefully the weather does them good this winter and the deer numbers and hunting improve for next year.

Total BS. It has been known for 9+ months that there was an extraordinary amount of snow this past year. They should have changed the hunt with a good EO like bucks only and a limit reduction to two animals. This has personally screwed my winter meat plans. Would have gone moose hunting if I thought F&G were so shortsighted. Bad policy brought to you by F&G once again. Next thing they will be telling us there MIGHT be an issue with the King runs this next year on the Yukon.

Simmer down a little there, 330. Deer season opened August 1st, and is only closing 3 weeks early. And they put out a press release on the 19th of November to let everybody know this was coming. It's not like people haven't had plenty of time to get out and harvest some deer. Besides, the last 3 weeks of December isn't exactly known for the best boating weather. And, if you really need to get out there and attempt to fill the freezer, you still have until the 7th. Go git 'er dun.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

[QUOTE=330;1211764]Total BS. It has been known for 9+ months that there was an extraordinary amount of snow this past year. They should have changed the hunt with a good EO like bucks only and a limit reduction to two animals. This has personally screwed my winter meat plans. Would have gone moose hunting if I thought F&G were so shortsighted. Bad policy brought to you by F&G once again. Next thing they will be telling us there MIGHT be an issue with the King runs this next year on the Yukon.[/QUOte

maybe you should quit being lazy and hunt for them rather than just cruising the beaches and shooting from your boat.

People have told me since there are less animals I need to hunt harder, but I thought an Rx is needed for that purple pill. But seriously, if the closure is such a good idea, why didn't they do it months ago, rather than cutting it "only three weeks short"? Will the last three weeks be the needed salvation for better future numbers? I am sure they knew this spring that the population was way down, why wait till now?

maybe you should quit being lazy and hunt for them rather than just cruising the beaches and shooting from your boat.[/QUOTE]

+1!! F&G probally cut it short do to the boat hunters that wack and stack them every year late winter.I've hunted my arse off many times early season and got a few bucks but never like you see when the snow hits hard and pushes them to the beach or not far from.Haven't hunted the opener for two years now,and hope for a few more good winters so I can once again.Them deer need all the help they can get!I hear the posts about kodiak being bad and I can just imagine how they faired with the snow they got last year in PWS!

I agree with 330 that a shortened season and reduced bag limit should have been considered last spring if something really needed to be done to help the herd recover. I've heard rumors out of Cordova as to why that wasn't done, but I'm not going to rake someone over the coals with no proof.

But it may not matter anyway. It wasn't boat hunters whacking and stacking them that knocked the herd down, it was the depth of the snow for the next 4 months after season ended. In fact any whacking the boat hunters did probably helped the remaining deer survive as less deer were competing for very limited resources. Just hope this isn't another bad snow year. Deer usually bounce back fairly quickly from one bad winter. A series of bad winters is a different story though as the winter browse gets severely damaged by starving deer to the point of losing it's ability to come back for years and even decades. That greatly affects the winter carrying capacity. Prince William Sound went through a great crash like that in the past, in the late 50's or early 60's. The old timers talk about dead deer stacked up on beaches like cord wood. And I've read habitat reports from ADF&G that detailed the damage done to the winter browse. It still hadn't recovered when the bad winters of the early 70's came around. The above is part of the reason such liberal seasons and bag limits are given in the Sound and boat hunting is allowed. Better to prune the herd hard and early so that the deer that survive can stay healthy and don't do permanent damage to the wintering grounds.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

This addy has a great history of deer and deer management in Prince William Sound on pages 177 to 183. Southeast deer precedes this article on PWS deer and Kodiak deer follows it. Some great info here.

http://books.google.com/books?id=IEJ...0sound&f=false

The PWS deer report was written by Julius Reynolds in 1978. Julius was the ADF&G biologist in Cordova when I moved there in 1971. One of my school buddies worked with him later doing different surveys in the Sound. Tim would always tell me that Green Is. was the place to go for deer. At least in those days.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Default unit 6 deer hunt E/O

I just returned from montague on Monday. I did my part . In 12 days we saw 4 deer. We hiked every day in about 3 to 8 inches of snow. 6 to 12 miles each day. We shot 2 bucks and a doe the last day. But we let a doe go with fawns. I'm very happy with my two deer I shot this season. I worked hard and hiked my fat but off to get them. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354281154.600916.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1354281218.196841.jpg
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Were you boat dropped Mike - or did you drive that zodiac down? :-) Which cabin did you stay at or did you camp?

We're used prince William sound adventures as our transporter. They have a cabin built on a float so were ever you want it to be.

AKMIKE30, according to AS Sec 08.54.650 licensed game transporters are not allowed to transport to temporary accomodations like that floating shack you stayed in, only to permanent accommodations that they own and to vessels on salt water. The Eshamy Bay Lodge transporters own that barge and have been transporting hunters to it, including probably you. (If the State allowed this, there'd be one of those barges in every bay in PWS.) The barge also does not have a DNR permit which is required for such a barge in state waters. It is a shame that there are still hunters out there that will support unethical transporters as it ruins it for the rest of us, both operators and the hunters.

The emergency closer is a good call for the deer, hopefully they will have the chance to recover for future seasons. In December is when a lot of the deer drives and 'troll' hunting takes place so that won't happen this year (that's if there is any law enforcement out there.)

I checked, and did not find these floating live-in-able vessels on their website. Maybe they are considered vessels. I had no idea, and still don't, whether this is an illegal transporting activity, but I do like the idea of staying in something like that - it would be awesome....I do agree that having one floating in every bay in PWS would suck - that would be one helluva lot of floating cabins though.

What is troll hunting? What is unethical about deer drives? Deer drives have occurred by hunters for centuries and continues to be a main way of harvesting deer in eastern states.

So Matt because you can't find a permit you assume there breaking the law... Well it is permitted and displayed.
    So sit there behind you key board and play Internet cop and call Ethical hunters trolls...
    What ever it a great legal place to stay. Cheap and warm a dry.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    So Matt because you can't find a permit you assume there breaking the law... Well it is permitted and displayed.
    So sit there behind you key board and play Internet cop and call Ethical hunters trolls...
    What ever it a great legal place to stay. Cheap and warm a dry.
    I know Matt...and you're way off. If you knew him, you would know that Matt follows the rules, cares about the resource, and expects others to also follow the rules. Point to where he said hunters were trolls...

I spent a week tent hunting on Montague a few weeks ago. We hunted extensively each day, mostly climbing high and working the beaches a little bit (no boat). Never even saw a deer. Saw some old sign (bucks, does and fawns), but it doesn't take many deer to track-up an area. What little fresh sign we saw was a few does and fawns. I am very glad that ADFG closed the season. They're doing their job. Monday morning quarterbacks can go ahead and criticise the timing...it's what we humans seem prone to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast