Thread: Marlin 45-70 - bulging Buffalo bore brass

Default Marlin 45-70 - bulging Buffalo bore brass

I noticed today that the fired Buffalo Bore brass is bulging near the end of the case.

This is the 405gr loads. I thought they were safe for the Marlin. The gun was bought a few weeks a go.

Does anyone have experience with this ammo in this gun?

Default Not to duck your question...

I don't have experience with the BB ammo in the Guide gun; However I have loaded 405gr cast to mid Level II pressures (51 gr Varget) in my GG, and did not have any issues.

My rule of thumb is anytime you are getting visibily distorted brass from the chamber to hold off shooting more of it until you can have a smith look at it. The problem could range from an oversized chamber(?) bad brass(?), bad lot (?), etc.

According to the Garrett, and BB websites (which you've likely already seen); these loads 'should' be ok in the GG.

Either way; please post back here what you find out - alot of us have this same rifle and would be interested to hear.

Nate

Quote Originally Posted by samwe View Post
    I noticed today that the fired Buffalo Bore brass is bulging near the end of the case.

This is the 405gr loads. I thought they were safe for the Marlin. The gun was bought a few weeks a go.

Does anyone have experience with this ammo in this gun?
    "near the end" of the case!? There are two ends. What do you mean. at the base? All fired cases bulge at the base just above the rim. This is normal, brass expands. Do you mean it sticks? Are you using as Marlin guide gun? Did the gun stay together? Then it was probably safe. What are you actually saying? Define bulge. Can you measure with a dial caliper and give dimensions?

I'm guessing you have a new Marlin guide gun in 45-70 and fired it for the first time with upgraded ammo and had never seen a fired case before. If the brass cycles in and out of the Marlin, it's probably ok.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by nrc View Post
    I don't have experience with the BB ammo in the Guide gun; However I have loaded 405gr cast to mid Level II pressures (51 gr Varget) in my GG, and did not have any issues.

My rule of thumb is anytime you are getting visibily distorted brass from the chamber to hold off shooting more of it until you can have a smith look at it. The problem could range from an oversized chamber(?) bad brass(?), bad lot (?), etc.

According to the Garrett, and BB websites (which you've likely already seen); these loads 'should' be ok in the GG.

Either way; please post back here what you find out - alot of us have this same rifle and would be interested to hear.

Nate
    What does the word "issues" mean? And, what rule of thumb? I've been looking at fired brass for about 50 years and never heard of that. Have I missed something?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    What does the word "issues" mean? And, what rule of thumb? I've been looking at fired brass for about 50 years and never heard of that. Have I missed something?
    Murphy -

Issues = problems of any kind. I have had no problems of any kind with any ammo in my guide gun.

Rule of thumb = standard practice. The original poster is asking for advice, and I'm saying is that if he thinks he's seeing pressure signs that don't look right to him - then he needs to take it to a qualified gunsmith as a matter of safety.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nrc View Post
    Murphy -

Issues = problems of any kind. I have had no problems of any kind with any ammo in my guide gun.

Rule of thumb = standard practice. The original poster is asking for advice, and I'm saying is that if he thinks he's seeing pressure signs that don't look right to him - then he needs to take it to a qualified gunsmith as a matter of safety.

Ok. That's fine, err on the side of caution. I just don't think he's having a problem, and the word "issues" is totally non descript. I like words like problem, it's broke, a piece fell off in my hand, the case has a big hole in it, they are shooting at us, the neighbor's cat is dead.

And actually the original poster is not asking for advice he's asking if anyone has had any experience with "this" ammo.

Ok. That's fine, err on the side of caution. I just don't think he's having a problem, and the word "issues" is totally non descript. I like words like problem, it's broke, a piece fell off in my hand, the case has a big hole in it, they are shooting at us, the neighbor's cat is dead.
    That makes sense.

And actually the original poster is not asking for advice he's asking if anyone has had any experience with "this" ammo.
    Fair enough. I have not used that particular load from Buffalo Bore myself.

Nate

Murphy was right. I talked with Buffalo Bore and the bulge is due to the chamber being a tad larger at the mouth to easy loading.

The 140 normal loads I shot did not deform, and I wanted to be cautious.

When you write that you purchased the gun recently, you don't write if it was a factory new gun or an older used model?

It was factory new.

If other cartidges are doing fine, then I would suggest that you may have a particularly "hot" batch. BB would probably like them back to check.

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    If other cartidges are doing fine, then I would suggest that you may have a particularly "hot" batch. BB would probably like them back to check.
    They already verified that this is normal.

I used my last 5 BB's today.
    I have unloaded 160 brass. Guess it is time to start hand loading.

Quote Originally Posted by samwe View Post
    They already verified that this is normal.

I used my last 5 BB's today.
    I have unloaded 160 brass. Guess it is time to start hand loading.
    I love the smell of powder and primers.

The only problem I have had with Buffalo Bore Ammo is it is too expensive!

I have never bought any. I load my own.

I used new brass and Nosler bullets then worked up to 2000 fps.

Nice load!

Default Bb 405

I have used the BB 405 grn in my Guide gun and in my Browning 86 carbine. I did not mike the case but had no problems with the load. It's a little too much for Mule deer and recoil is stiff in the 86 with no pad. Feeding and extraction were normal in both of my guns.

I just got out to the range yesterday with some Buffalo Bore 350gr loads and after the first shot I could barely get the lever open b/c the case seemed "stuck". I don't reload, nor do I know much about these things, so needless to say that was the first and last round fired out of that gun yesterday. The gun is an 1895GS purchased new last summer, so is one of the guns listed as okay for these loads. Aside from the inability to quickly cycle another round, which is a big concern for me in Grizz country, is this a sign that the pressures are too high?

Any info/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Good evening. You may want to start a new thread rather than piggy-back on this old one.

Anyway, if that happened to me, first thing I would check is to be sure the chamber of my rifle is spotless and oil free (scrub it down and run several rags through it).

Then I would (Honestly) check the stamped chambering on the side of the barrel and be sure I'm shooting the proper ammo (stranger things have happened).

Then I would compare the subject cartridges against another batch to be sure they look okay.

Did the case you extracted exhibit unusual bulging, cracks, blown out primer, tearing at the rim, etc.?

KRS