Thread: Fur friendly 243 load

Default Fur friendly 243 load

Decided to pic up a new rifle in 243win mostly for yotes and lynx with the chance of calling in wolf and a using as a light weight deer rifle this summer. In the past I've shot 75gr hp they weren't bad as long as shoulders or spine wasn't hit. I've also killed them with deer loads in the past using hornady 100gr sp they left dime to quarter size exits. Are there any factory 243 that are fur friendly? I've seen 58gr vmax advertised but at the velocity a 243 will sling them would they be a bit too explosive?

58gr vmax are awesome with limited fur damage, I bought new 243 and it shoots the 55gr ballistic Winchester supreme in better group so use those and have had great fur retention, but like you said all depends on where you hit, I have seen a 30-06 leave smaller exit wound than a 243 before.

The biggest, slowest and most solid factory load you can find is what I would suggest.

if this thread gets moved to the fur section you might get more answers.

I tried to find out if Federal still loaded their 85 gr FMJ, and couldn't locate a sku or nothing. But, I used it on Bobcats and such while hunting whitetail in Texas. very nice small holes in and out!

Chris

I load my own bullets for 243 and have good fur results using Barnes 62 grain varmit grenades with 45gr IMR4350. It completly blows up inside leaving no exit hole.

85 gr tsx in 243 is mean. keep in mind, tsx will hold their weight and most likely never recover one

Ain't one. The mass of the slug is to great and it will do more damage due to pushing meat, bone and guts out the other side. Duckdon
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdon View Post
    Ain't one. The mass of the slug is to great and it will do more damage due to pushing meat, bone and guts out the other side. Duckdon
    I was thinking the same thing unless you slowed it way down. I have seen what a 100gr Nosler Partition does to black bears and have no desire to shoot a furbearer with it or any other bullet made for large game out of a .243

In an old Speer reloading manual (#9), IMR 4198 gives reduced velocity loads - 1800 fps with a 80 grain bullet (for the 243). SR 4759 is another powder that is used for reduced loads in many other calibers. Trali Boss is another powder that can be used to reduce velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    In an old Speer reloading manual (#9), IMR 4198 gives reduced velocity loads - 1800 fps with a 80 grain bullet (for the 243). SR 4759 is another powder that is used for reduced loads in many other calibers. Trali Boss is another powder that can be used to reduce velocity.
    Trail Boss is fun stuff to play with but I have not had much success past 50 yards with it. Sure seems to run out of oommph after that.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Trail Boss is fun stuff to play with but I have not had much success past 50 yards with it. Sure seems to run out of oommph after that.
    I loaded some 223's but haven't shot/chrono'd them yet.