Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ivashak Fly-out Price Question

Default Ivashak Fly-out Price Question

Three friends and I are planning a float trip on the Ivashak River next August, and had some questions after calling some airlines. I just got off the phone with seventy north and they are charging 1050 for six hundred pound plane trips. that is gear and people weight. now two people weight 180 lbs and the rental raft with a total weight of 235 lbs puts us at 595 lbs. does this mean i have to take three trips with the airplane to get four guys, plus all gear out to the base of the brooks range?

Sorry for the math equation type of question, i am just wondering what other people have done in this situation. or if you guys had any other ideas on air charter services. thanks again.

Joe

Likely that equals $1050 per trip, each trip has a max allowable at 600LB (gear AND people)

How many trips that takes will be based upon how much you pack.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Why not float out to the road?? That should make 2 trips in and then float back to the takeout. Mike usually has some helpers that will help getting you to the takeout. That is a huge money saver as you don't have to fly your game.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Why not float out to the road?? That should make 2 trips in and then float back to the takeout. Mike usually has some helpers that will help getting you to the takeout. That is a huge money saver as you don't have to fly your game.
    I will be floating to the road, but with a load of only 600 pounds we wont be able to take any gear with only two loads. we will have to take three planes rides to get four guys, two rafts, and hunting/camping gear. Is this normal.

2 plane loads 600 lbs per turn equals 1200lbs.

4x 180= 720
    Raft = 235
    Total 955
    245 lbs for gear =1200

That should be easy to make. Am I missing something???

I see now you said TWO rafts, then yes 3 trips, that is still cheap divided 4 ways that is a flyout trip for under 1K each. Cheaper than any I have done. Except when I did the same trip with a much lighter raft.

You might want to heck with Larry Bartlett and rent some Pro Pioneers or Levitators, they are way lighter than 235lbs each. My Levetator is less than 150lbs rigged and will float 3K. One Levetator and one Pro Pioneer would be enough.
    Founding Member

How many rafts are you taking?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Alaska Air Taxi flying out of Prudhoe Bay and Coyote Air flying out of Coldfoot fly Beavers and even at 1200lbs payload, that does not help you none and they won't help get you to the takeout. Mike is your best bet.
    Founding Member

General rule of thumb for "most" air taxis is 2 trips for 2 guys with equipment. You're limited on air taxis due to the region.

Yeppr TWB limited access and sometime the air taxis fillin repeat clients first and foremost and then will take on new clients if able. Best to do some calling around. The take out point is!!!!! If you get stuck PM me might just be able to help you out. If your in Anch go visit Tracy at Martia I know he has it cause I know the guy that gave it to him.

:-)

I've done that trip twice. Both trips required 2 flights in to haul 2 adults, 2 kids, 1 raft, and gear. Each time I flew in on the first trip with most of the gear. While waiting for the second load I was able to inflate the raft and start moving gear to the river. It's a bit of a hump from the strip to the water.

You will not find better service (or a cheaper option) than using 70 North. I don't think they use their C206 for unimproved strips like the one on the Ivishak. Unfortunately nobody operates a bigger aircraft from Happy Valley and those that fly Beavers from Coldfoot or Deadhorse will require a longer flight (more $$$$) to get you upriver. You just have to pay to play.

Default Air Charter and cost:

This is one of the common miss-understood aspects of putting a DIY hunt together. When I am working with a new client we spend a great deal of time outlining the cost and breaking it down so they understand why a hunt cost what it does. I work with 2 flight services, both whom charge by the hour. As a rule of thumb a 206 can haul between 800-900 pounds of hunters and gear but you have to think about fuel as well. If your hunt is with in 45 mins out the fuel will be less but many of our moose hunts are headed 1.25 hours out and that extra fuel has to be calculated into the 900 pounds and yes you pay for that.

You also need to understand that you are paying for the trip out and back so a 45 min trip is really 1.5 hours of fly time per load times cost per hour. Float trips are real tough to do in a single load, hell the raft and frame is about 160 pounds just to start.

I tell my clients that 2 guys will need a single load out and 2 loads back-Meat and Horns. It is all math and most services that charge by the hour will be charging between $700-$800 an hour. Be careful when you are dealing with the services that sell the "Super Hunts" that are charging per head prices and they usually charging around $2,600-3,000 per hunter. When you do the math you will be paying more and you just might be getting dropped off very close to town along with 100 of your newest friends. Many of these services hammer these drop sites and they can be very messy!

It takes a lot of time to put a good hunt together but your results will be worth the extra work. A knowledgable hunter will have a better hunt than one who goes in blind!

Drop me a line if you have any questions that I can help with!

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.net
    Drop Camps, Float hunts
    Unit 23
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the helpful posts, and will be contacting some of you if i get stuck. This is the reason i love this forum, very good info, and not all the BS. thanks again all your points will be considered.

1050 to fly from Happy Valley to the upper Ivashak? Where are you getting that quote from? Flying from where?

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    1050 to fly from Happy Valley to the upper Ivashak? Where are you getting that quote from? Flying from where?
    Seventy North, from happy valley to upper ivashak. Why Piper, can you do it cheaper. haha

That sounds pretty steep for such a short hop. The Ivashak is not a long river. What type of aircraft are you chartering?

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    That sounds pretty steep for such a short hop. The Ivashak is not a long river. What type of aircraft are you chartering?
    I believe the use a 206, with a weight limit of 600 lbs people and gear. If it is steep then what are you doing around the last week of August (if you have a plane of course haha).

You say 1050 is steep HAH, I was told 3600 for 4 of us and gear (3 trips) from Happy Valley to the Ivashak for a drop off float hunt. Instead we went to the Kavik for 9 day hunt. That was just under 3k. We went early august and we got bou and burnt, 2 days over 80 degrees.Had a great time, JUST DON'T FORGET THE THERMACELL.

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    I believe the use a 206, with a weight limit of 600 lbs people and gear. If it is steep then what are you doing around the last week of August (if you have a plane of course haha).

Just a couple points since I know you are new to hunting here.

First and foremost is you have to be licensed to carry hunters for hire into the field, not just any Joe with a plane can do this for a FEE.

Even the first strip on the Ivy from HV is 30 minutes one way and the average strip is 45 minutes or so from HV.

Every thing cost more that far north. Heck, gas for a vehicle is about 5 to 7 bucks a gallon.

Any charter using a 206, 180, Helio Courier even on the road system gets on average $750 dollars an hour.

So 1.5 hours for a trip, you have to pay for the plane to return as well, that comes to $1125.00 dollars.

Now add a 80 miles round trip to get your vehicle to the Sag takeout. What would that cost up North???

Sometimes you have to take internet advice with a grain of salt....

I have flown with 70 North, Alaska Air Taxi and Coyote up that way and do 2 to 3 drop hunts a year for the last 9 years. I have some experience with air taxis.

$1050 per trip is a bargain,, and if you don't book soon you will not have any options.

Call the operators that work that area and check prices,, you will see for yourself.

70 North
    Coyote
    Alaska Air Taxi
    Wrights Air

Once the draw results hit the street there will be very few air taxis that will have slots.

The Ivyashak is one of the cheapest fly ins there is and VERY POPULAR. I have floated this river 3 times, so I have some experience and know what I'm speaking to.

Do your research!

Good Luck

Steve
    Founding Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    Sorry for the math equation type of question, i am just wondering what other people have done in this situation. or if you guys had any other ideas on air charter services. thanks again.

Joe
    Hello Joe,

Not too certain what all the fuss & definition is about on this float... 'bout as common, straightforward a river trip there is in terms of logistics and classification/character.

Is it the expenditures or game plan that is of question?

There are no great hoops, chutes, or ladders to go through plus even some very nice options for contingency. I choose not to share my optimal logistics, hunt/fish planning, expenditures, gear, and so on (freely on here for all to see as in the past) most prudently because it is not all that complex and why invite more competition/impact to the Ivashak or others in the area. Call, PM, or email if ya like... within 5-10 minutes talking (cost ya nothing); we'll have addressed what I mean by almost too easy.

Here's a pic from last season. (actually on the Ivashak!)

Cheers,
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve,
    you are the Wikipedia for the forum with great detail, information and stories

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast