Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Alaskan hunters be required to present a certificate of hunter education?

Default Should Alaskan hunters be required to present a certificate of hunter education?

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    So you are of the opinion that everyone in the military needs to take hunters education in Alaska but the rest of the residents and nonresident hunters in Alaska can go hunting without taking hunters education? You are out of your mind!

And I am sure I took my hunters ed class in Alaska prior to you ever taking yours and I still disagree with your stupid idea. Personally I think the BOG and ADF&G are biased in their current requirement that people hunting along the road systems have to have hunters education but people that hunt in the bush don't have to.
    Ok, for those of you that haven't seen this before, it is from the thread "just testing the waters here" and i did not want to high jack that thread. Apparently hunter education course is a hot topic.

1. All Alaskan hunters should be required to take (and pass) a hunter education course.

2. The exception would be the bush people, some folks simply can not do it. At best you would have a correspondence course... but that may not work for some folks that depend on hunting to stay alive. If somone lives WAY OFF THE GRID they are there to be left alone. I say leave them alone, but offer a way for them to take the hunter education course if they can.

Gotta start teaching them young.........

Firearms training and Hunters safety should be as mandatory as Reading, Science , English and Math.

They should have classes that trains them on proper and safe use of the tools and 'Hopefully' will teach/instill the Moral values and responsibilitys come with Firearms ownership and the Citizens use and place with Firearms in this Country.
    Other classes should teach animal anatomy and where to place the shot, as well as training with firearms to be able to PLACE the bullet where it needs to be.

The proper use of firearms, violence and proper exercise all ending with Dinner.

Anyone out of school can take a course, if they need be, but it shouldnt be mandatory.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Maybe just maybe, we should entrust the people to train their youngins to safely handle and operate firearms.

Nah... F that. we should have the govmnt do that for us.

YMMV, that is just my personal opinion. (I do have three kids...)

I understand that we all haveto take such responsibiltys and teach them, ourrselfs, but often parents dont even own a gun, and the examples, especcially in citys, comes from TV, where guns only shoot people, except on some Hunting channel, and courses in schools would really help (I think) to show proper safety and use.Since the vast majority of kids go to public schools, all aspects of Hunting and gun use should be taught there.

I home schooled my kids, for many years, some learned to read and write at home, some at school, still, they learned.

We had Hunter safety courses in grade school, and I had my dad showing me too, so it cant be a Bad thing to let the gov. teach gun use, seems too, the Military does it well enough.....what kid wouldnt want to learn to use an M-249???? or an M-4 even???
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Before I got sick..... I got approved by our school board over in Valdez to teach the following as part of a Wilderness Experience class. I had 2 groups of about 15 high school students and one junior high of 16 kids. The course content covered. Hunter Education, Boat Smart program, avalanche safety, Basic First Aid and CPR, basic skills such as knife sharpening, knot tying, making a fire, packing a pack, survival kits and more. I left a substitute to teach it for me and he has done well covering as much as he could.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I'm not to fond of the gov't mandating anything. With that said, do I think gun safety is important? Absolutely. However I think it should be the responsibility of the family and friends to teach each others kids. Both of my kids have taken their gun safety courses but I don't think they got taught anything about gun safety that they didn't already know. However, they got taught a lot of things that had nothing to do with gun safety, ie. how not to offend non hunters by covering up the game that they had shot. This type of political correctness has absolutely no business being included in mandated courses. With that said, I'll teach my kids, I don't think the gov't can do a better job than me. I do think that voluntary courses, taught by volunteers are a great idea.

Lets all dress in really expensive, cool camo and wear puke hunter orange too! But only if you live on the road system. Lotta stuff can be mandated or banned in the name of "safety."

No more laws!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Spookum View Post
    All Alaskan hunters should be required to take (and pass) a hunter education course.
    Why limit the discussion to hunters. Shouldn't all owners of weapons be required to take and pass a weapons education class before buying weapons... you know so that they understand for example: that when they pull the trigger on a loaded glock ... it goes boom.

Quote Originally Posted by kbarnes View Post
    I'm not to fond of the gov't mandating anything. With that said, do I think gun safety is important? Absolutely. However I think it should be the responsibility of the family and friends to teach each others kids. Both of my kids have taken their gun safety courses but I don't think they got taught anything about gun safety that they didn't already know. However, they got taught a lot of things that had nothing to do with gun safety, ie. how not to offend non hunters by covering up the game that they had shot. This type of political correctness has absolutely no business being included in mandated courses. With that said, I'll teach my kids, I don't think the gov't can do a better job than me. I do think that voluntary courses, taught by volunteers are a great idea.
    Sounds good on paper and you sound like a very responsible parent.. But for everyone like you there are ten that dont care and dont teach their kids gun/hunter safety.. Not really sure if I have any issue with the hunter ed for all hunters.. I mean dont we need a driver license before driving a car and I really dont hear many folks against that..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    .. I mean dont we need a driver license before driving a car and I really dont hear many folks against that..

Just because you "teach them", and "license them" doesn't mean they will follow the rules or common sense that goes with the privlage

I'm not the "government"; I teach in a private school. The schoolboard realized that our students needed hunter ed. and encouraged me to get training to become an instructor and I did. Before that I had incorporated gun safety and hunting ethics into my Outdoor Ed class, so it really wasn't a radical step for me. Parents should teach children all about guns at an early age regardless, but some are busy just working hard to make ends meet and pay taxes in this economy, and they rely upon people like me who care about gun safety to get their kids the card. I am pleased to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    Just because you "teach them", and "license them" doesn't mean they will follow the rules or common sense that goes with the privlage
    Nope sure doesn't but at least they will have a starting point and a basic understanding

Trying to compare driving a cvehicle, and hunting moose... can't be done.
    You didn't go down to DMV and get a drivers License, until you learned how to drive. False, generally someone spends time with you in a vehicle, showing you how to be safe (for yourself, others, and property)
    You don't go into the wilds of Alaska to go shoot a moose until you know how to hunt- False, people do it every year, some successfully, some lose their lives trying.

Just a spin on these thoughts,
    Chris

DAVE that is the type of education everyone should have had before going afield. That said, how does one get that education, a parent, friend, educator, or hard knocks. Teens should have a well rounded course covering all those aspects and maybe more. Instead of the usual 8 hour type course with a 10 minute range test perhaps 20 hrs. Zero hour (before school day) or 8th hour (after school day) classes at school or consecutive Saturdays should suffice.

As for us "old farts" and new guys and gals to AK perhaps on On-Line proficiency exam, password and identity protected would do. Having almost 40 yrs afield and three AK hunts (May and August-Juneau area and September-Chicken and Steese Hwy areas) with a long time AK resident, I probably should not attempt a solo goat hunt. I would attend survival, game care, target glassing/spotting, transportation (water and air) classes if they were available.

I would also gladly assist any qualified instructor minded persons if they wanted to develop any programs mentioned above. Perhaps our own non-profit Alaskan Outdoor certification process. Imagine the following 2 1/2 day class in June or July:
    Friday afternoon arrive, set up tent, gather at fire for dinner and orientation
    Saturday course studies AM and PM with after dinner networking sessions
    Sunday course summary, camp cleanup and depart early afternoon

Topics that may be covered:
    1. Backpack setup and supplies
    2. Game care (would be great if a road kill was available for field cleaning, quartering, and processing)
    3. Transportation (air, water, foot and vehicle-what to take and what to leave behind)
    4. Camp (base camp, tent setup, bear proofing, weather)
    5. Game spotting (ranging, spotting vantage points, stalking, understanding wind currents)
    6. Basic marksmanship (caliber, shot placement, follow-up shots)
    7. Survival (fire starting, woodsmanship skills, drinking water, food gathering, sat phone/SPOT)
    8. Miscellaneous

Even if you know everything (and nobody ever does) attend anyways and the networking would be invaluable. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    Trying to compare driving a cvehicle, and hunting moose... can't be done.
    You didn't go down to DMV and get a drivers License, until you learned how to drive. False, generally someone spends time with you in a vehicle, showing you how to be safe (for yourself, others, and property)
    You don't go into the wilds of Alaska to go shoot a moose until you know how to hunt- False, people do it every year, some successfully, some lose their lives trying.

Just a spin on these thoughts,
    Chris

Lol you are right I took drivers education in school...
    But les not get too far off track here.

continueing on the thought train.....
    Normally you get a learners permit to drive, and it has requirements that you are accompanied by a licensed driver.
    No such requirement to hunt.
    Yes, the younger crowd (and anyone hunting on Federal Property now) is/are required to attend a hunter's safety course...
    but that is it, the full responsiblity is to learn on your own- in the eyes of the Government..
    And is that really a bad way? a few mistakes can teach very valueble and lifetime lessons.

How far do you want somebody to dictate when, where, how ect you can hunt?
    Personnonly I believe the government should be only concerned with numbers to insure we have game in the future, not setting up programs to "mentor" (could not think of non-policticsally correct word) "new" hunters.

If you are needing to learn how to drive- you can pay a driving school to take lessons.
    If you really need to learn more on hunting- you can pay a guide, or school to assist you.

Lets not make this to complecated....

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Spookum View Post
    1. All Alaskan hunters should be required to take (and pass) a hunter education course.

2. The exception would be the bush people, some folks simply can not do it. At best you would have a correspondence course... but that may not work for some folks that depend on hunting to stay alive. If somone lives WAY OFF THE GRID they are there to be left alone. I say leave them alone, but offer a way for them to take the hunter education course if they can.
    This is actually pretty much the way it is... if you were born after 1986 you need hunter ed to hunt in any of the road system units (can't recite them from memory, but i know 7, 14, 15, 20 and maybe a couple others).
    bush residents aren't required to have hunter ed.
    hunter ed is required to use a shotgun in a weapon restricted hunt, regardless of age.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    continueing on the thought train.....
    Normally you get a learners permit to drive, and it has requirements that you are accompanied by a licensed driver.
    No such requirement to hunt.
    Yes, the younger crowd (and anyone hunting on Federal Property now) is/are required to attend a hunter's safety course...
    but that is it, the full responsiblity is to learn on your own- in the eyes of the Government..
    And is that really a bad way? a few mistakes can teach very valueble and lifetime lessons.

How far do you want somebody to dictate when, where, how ect you can hunt?
    Personnonly I believe the government should be only concerned with numbers to insure we have game in the future, not setting up programs to "mentor" (could not think of non-policticsally correct word) "new" hunters.

If you are needing to learn how to drive- you can pay a driving school to take lessons.
    If you really need to learn more on hunting- you can pay a guide, or school to assist you.

Lets not make this to complecated....

Chris
    So IIRC with a drivers license you need to take a written test that tests your knowledge of basic laws....then you have to take the driving portion where you are required to demonstrate the required skills to operate a car....

hunting ed if I recall you take a written portion to show you have a basic understanding then a field portion where you demonstrate basic skills..

I hear you on the govt but not exactly what part of the hunter ed course dictates when wher and how you can hunt...
    I also agree about the too much govt thing but does that mean just because we reached our quota of laws we should pack up shop and close the doors...
    IMHO hunter ed is a great tool,and that along with the FREE hunter seminars that adfg puts on surely can help those out there that dont have someone in their life to mentor them... Just read this site....how many on here mentor someone elses kids....not everyone has that in their life.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast