Thread: Etolin Deer Hunt/ POW Deer Hunt Today

Default Etolin Deer Hunt/ POW Deer Hunt Today

Did a little cruise today with a few buddies in the boat to go look for an Etolin 20" 2 point. After 20+ miles of cost (or close) we saw ZERO deer. We did however see a pod of 8 killer whales and 12 elk! We got some awesome video of the herd, it included a small bull, 8 cows and 3 calves. There were 2 cows that were immense. Apparently there is a registration hunt right now, should have read the regs :-)

Went over to the POW side and ran up from Ratz to Whale Pass. Zero deer. Weird but all in all a great day, good to see the elk for sure.

Bighorse - I did try to PM you after your message but your box was full and I was a bit late. Sorry my friend, it looks like you were successful. THe elk were right below your sunset photo if it is where I think it was. Was that looking at my place?
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Too bad on the deer, did you get your whitetail wall hanger on your recent trip?

Yes sir, that was pointed at your place. Oh, boy ya should have registered. I did that on Kuiu once. I flew in for Black bears late season and didn't register for Moose. I had a legal big moose walk right up the beach line to camp. It was about 45" with four brow tines. I called him in really close too.
    The lack of snow this year has made rut hunting tough. The deer have maintained a very active mountain wide routine.

I put in for the other Etolin Elk permits for 2013, Archery and Late season.

Good job again Horse, that was a dandy. I think I may have emntioned to access from my place ;-) Call me if you get the tags this year.

King - here ya go. Thanks again for coming over.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Mike, nice deer. Thanks, we did enjoy ourselves.

Whitetail and mulie. 410 yards for the WT, mulie over 350. Lots of country there!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Second photo is my dad and I.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

BTW, Josh says the mulie didn't make 180.

Nope, ALMOST though ;-) They had a CWD issue this year that made it tough. We saw 25+ bucks day 1 and I passed this one but decided to shoot it day 2.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

The Etolin deer are mostly north end now. The Wrangell numbers are down also this fall and we had good numbers this spring so suprised for sure.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Wrangell numbers are down in my opinion due to wolves. I hunted Etolin, Zarembo, and Woronkofski and I saw more wolf sign than I have ever seen in those areas. I am guessing the late snowfalls had an impact but the wolf sign on those 3 islands was very high this summer.