Thread: Quiet Compound Bow?

Default Quiet Compound Bow?

Anyone have a bow that is particularly quiet?

I've been thinking about getting back into archery and doing some digging as to a quiet bow. Mostly would be used for deer hunting here in southeast - the mature bucks are pretty jumpy (probably how they made it to maturity?!) and was thinking I could use all the help I could get as far as stealth goes. I know there are lots of add-ons and vibration dampners etc etc but if I'm starting at square one I'd like to start off right.

After some reading I found this article testing some recent compound bows that measured decibels among other traits.

www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2012/07/compound-bow-new-bows-bow-test-hunting-bows-2012

Was already looking at some Hoyts and the Vector 32" has the compact size - and the low vibration/dBA that I would prefer. A little more spendy than I'd prefer but not more so than a decent rifle.

Any members laid eyes on this bow or shot one? I'll be in the lower48 in a few weeks and will likely have some good opportunities to check out some more bows and handle the Vector. Not in a rush to buy but already starting to think about next season!

Thanks

hoyt makes a good bow indeed...I shoot a couple of hoyts and my hunting bow is an alpha burner.. a trick to noise on a bow is to NOT shoot too light of an arrow.. not to keep a quiver on the bow and to add some dampeners here and there and have a good quality stabilizer... the vectors are good bows and I would buy one in a second but keep in mind shorter bows are not as forgiving when shooting longer distances...

Check out the Matthews, I have the Z7 and love it. Smooth draw, fast, light weight and quiet. The new Heli M is a short riser bow you should look at by Matthews, not cheap but worth the money.

If you want to quiet the bow and reduce shock, one way is to shoot a heavier arrow to absorb both. My Bowtech shoots a 525 grain arrow.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

My daughter shoots a Limbsaver DZ-30, it is one of the quietest bows I have seen (other than my longbow...). Limbsaver is a pioneer in the silencer game, give them a look.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have a mission maniac that turns heads at the range because it is so quiet

Hey all - thanks for the great feed back!

I'll be chewing over that food for thought. I knew the heavy arrow reduces "twang" but the bow length/forgiveness is something I might have overlooked had it not been mentioned. Alpine shots in August might be a little further than the muskeg or beach shots in November - a little forgiveness at distance would be nothing to shake a stick at (carbon or otherwise).

Check out the Elite Hunter... If your searching try them all.. Its half the fun.. : )

The number one comment I get on my bow is how quiet it is.

Mathews knocked it out of the park when they made the HeliM, and I despise Mathews.

As mentioned earlier, the best thing you can do for noise is shooting a heavy arrow, followed by string suppressors.

I have a Hoyt Carbon Element and it is very quiet. Plus it is fast and hard-hitting when paired with some FMJ's.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    I have a Hoyt Carbon Element and it is very quiet. Plus it is fast and hard-hitting when paired with some FMJ's.

Finally some Hoyt guys speaking up...

Hoonahtic,
    You asked about bows that are especially quiet, and everyone seems to have one.
    This is like asking if everybody likes their beautiful new pick-up truck. Or does anyone have a new truck that hauls a cord of wood better than the others?

Perhaps you can eliminate some bows that you will not want to purchase by asking......Has anybody purchased a modern bow made of super strong but also super light space-age materials that is really expensive and that has also been much louder than you expected?

Anybody care to reveal some really loud string-jumpin twangers that have disappointed you?
    Imagine (It's easy if you try)
    …miles and miles of mountains…wide expanses of tundra...remote wild waters…
    (Whisper words of wisdom) Let It Be