Thread: Small Game Hunting

Default Small Game Hunting

Alright I have lived in Alaska for a total of 6 years now and have never hunted a single day since being here. I am wanting to get into some small game such as hare/ptarmigan/grouse at the beginning of the year. Would anyone be willing to share some useful information such as where in the Anchorage area is a good place to check out and if Sutton is worth my time?

Grouse and ptramigan info is hard to come by around here. Everyone is really tight lipped. I have personally put over 30 miles on the ground in search of birds but have been in the wrong areas. Ive heard there can be some around sutton but dont know if the numbers are good or what the likely hood of finding decent hunting is. I can tell you Ive tried not far from there and havent had any luck.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Hare are going to be kind of difficult to find in any abundance right now. They are in a down cycle. Back in the 70's we used to do pretty good on Hare and an occasional bird out past Sutton, along the ATV/snow go trails at Kings River.

Ill jump into the fray... Find public lands and go look. It's a simple recipe and makes success so much sweeter than following breadcrumbs to one tied up for you. I've never seen a hare but I don't typically spend time where they live because I think the white birds are so neat. There are pockets but it's a matter of burning up leather or rubber scouting. Many hunters have stopped chasing the forset grouse until next fall (Ptarmigan are grouse too!). Find a trail that gets you to and/or above tree line and start walking the gun. I've seen lots of hare sign in the bushes on my way up before. When you have success post some (non location-incriminating) pics!!
    Go Big Red!

BTW.......When spruce grouse are eating pretty much nothing but pine needles, which is most of the winter, you really don't want to eat them.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Since it sounds like you don't have a gun dog...I would head up high in pursuit of ptarmigan, and I'd use a binocular to find the now all-white birds either nestled down into the snow with just a head and one black eye visible to predators like you, or birds bobbing for willow buds. High country riparian areas, or anywhere a copse of willow grows. Rock ptarmigan are possibly admixed with willow ptarmigan this time of near, but generally are found up higher on the more barren rocky slopes. Search for three-toed tracks in the snow as ptarmigan may be nearby. Watch for flocks of birds flying into the area 'cause they move about quite a bit. You many scour one area and then come back through an hour later and find a lot of birds.

Best of luck in this grand adventure you are about to embark upon!

Let us know of your success.

Jim

Yes my overall plan this year is to do a lot of walking and mainly checking out of different areas. I don't expect to see much but if I do I plan on being ready. I am going to check out the areas on JBER and also in Sutton, I am just mainly looking for some information that may help me into where to start in these areas. Thanks everyone for the information so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    BTW.......When spruce grouse are eating pretty much nothing but pine needles...
    Really? Where in the world would they be getting pine needles
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Really? Where in the world would they be getting pine needles
    Let me ask you something........did you know what I meant?

pick, pick, pick........

But that's alright........love you too man....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!