Thread: Deadline for AF&G Tags!

Default Deadline for AF&G Tags!

Just a reminder to all of you guys out there that the deadline for submitting your permits is upon us! AF&G moved the dates up about 2 weeks this year and I would hate to see anyone miss the deadline!

About every 2-3 years one of my clients misses the deadline and it is a heart break. I am attaching the AF&G link soy you can get'er done!

Good luck!

Walt

Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Drop Camps and Float Hunts
    Unit 23-Kotzebue
    Attached Images Attached Images

I thought it was the 17th of Dec.?

The deadline is December 17 at 5:00pm AKST - per the Fish and Game web site.

Walt, do you mean submitting hunt reports from tags hunted this past fall? Or for applying for Draw tags? Like the others said, Dec. 17 is for draw tags.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

The point here is to make sure your annual Fish and Game donations are submitted by the 17th this year!!
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

shhhhh......Why are you telling everyone? Fewer people applying mean a better chance to win.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    shhhhh......Why are you telling everyone? Fewer people applying mean a better chance to win.

Wont matter. 25% of people with even a badass tag wont even leave town.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

No I am talking about applying for tags, about 2 weeks... Ok almost 3 weeks!

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.net
    Unit 23 hunts

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    And that just means they can give out more permits than they could if everyone hunted every permit. It all comes out in a wash in the end.

yes, but for that first year or three....it sure would be nice to win all of the permits I apply for...oh wait, then my wife would kill me....nevermind....

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    yes, but for that first year or three....it sure would be nice to win all of the permits I apply for...oh wait, then my wife would kill me....nevermind....
    Not to worry - you probably wouldn't be home long enough for her to harm you.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    actually the stats are still... 50% of draws go un hunted..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    actually the stats are still... 50% of draws go un hunted..
    Then 50% of the people (who are doing this) shouldn't be putting in for them. That's a bunch of BS if you ask me. Because the fact is that a lot of these jerks put in for all kinds KNOWING da*n well that if they even drew one or two they may not be able to go. So in doing that they are actually taking away a tag from a person that has done the research, would plan the time off, and would hunt it hard because it's a tag that he's wanted and probably put in for for many years.

I remember years ago a guy I met had drawn a coveted Kenai goat tag. They only gave out 2 and the first time he put in for it he drew one. He was a pilot and had a beautiful super cub. I was guiding at the time but my season was over and he asked me if I would go with him. "Of course I will...!!!" I told him, with grand visions of collecting a B&C goat. We flew into the lake just before dark and started hunting the next morning. Right away I could see he was lagging behind quite a bit. We ended up seeing one very small goat that morning, which I told him was really small so he didn't shoot. We stopped around lunch time and I said, "Lets head on over there and look around the corner," where I knew big goats had been hanging out over the years. He said,"Where.....over there?" I said ya, over there, which was about a half mile over flat ground. He declined saying, "Oh I can't do that...." And that was it. We hunted a whole ONE morning. I don't know what he thought.....that if he had a plane all he had to do is land and goats would be running everywhere?

What I'm getting at is this guy put in a for a tag, drew it, and had NO idea what it actually was that he drew. He had no idea that because he had a plane the REAL hard part, getting TO the goats, was already done. He never even thought about getting in shape.....and as far as I could tell he wasn't in bad shape at all. He ended up just blowing off this tag like it was no big deal.

As far as I'm concerned, for people that feel if they drew a tag, unless there was a good 90% chance that they would hunt it, then they shouldn't even put in for it. This blindly putting in for all kinds of tags without knowing anything about them, or yourself for that matter, is total BS. Why not let someone that deserves it draw it. Keep your $5. and think about other people other than yourself for a change.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Then 50% of the people (who are doing this) shouldn't be putting in for them. That's a bunch of BS if you ask me. Because the fact is that a lot of these jerks put in for all kinds KNOWING da*n well that if they even drew one or two they may not be able to go. So in doing that they are actually taking away a tag from a person that has done the research, would plan the time off, and would hunt it hard because it's a tag that he's wanted and probably put in for for many years.

I remember years ago a guy I met had drawn a coveted Kenai goat tag. They only gave out 2 and the first time he put in for it he drew one. He was a pilot and had a beautiful super cub. I was guiding at the time but my season was over and he asked me if I would go with him. "Of course I will...!!!" I told him, with grand visions of collecting a B&C goat. We flew into the lake just before dark and started hunting the next morning. Right away I could see he was lagging behind quite a bit. We ended up seeing one very small goat that morning, which I told him was really small so he didn't shoot. We stopped around lunch time and I said, "Lets head on over there and look around the corner," where I knew big goats had been hanging out over the years. He said,"Where.....over there?" I said ya, over there, which was about a half mile over flat ground. He declined saying, "Oh I can't do that...." And that was it. We hunted a whole ONE morning. I don't know what he thought.....that if he had a plane all he had to do is land and goats would be running everywhere?

What I'm getting at is this guy put in a for a tag, drew it, and had NO idea what it actually was that he drew. He had no idea that because he had a plane the REAL hard part, getting TO the goats, was already done. He never even thought about getting in shape.....and as far as I could tell he wasn't in bad shape at all. He ended up just blowing off this tag like it was no big deal.

As far as I'm concerned, for people that feel if they drew a tag, unless there was a good 90% chance that they would hunt it, then they shouldn't even put in for it. This blindly putting in for all kinds of tags without knowing anything about them, or yourself for that matter, is total BS. Why not let someone that deserves it draw it. Keep your $5. and think about other people other than yourself for a change.....
    It sounds like you might not understand how the system works. Here is something to consider when you complain about people "wasting" tags. The ADF&G factors in a certain percentage of people both not hunting the tags and of those who do hunt it, those that won't be successful. For example, a specific hunt where they want 100 animals taken, they factor in a percentage of unused tags (say 50% from the numbers above for example), then maybe a 50% success rate for those who do hunt. because of that, they give out 400 tags, knowing that only about 200 will even hunt and only about 100 of those would take an animal. If, like you want, everyone or at least nearly everyone who got a permit did all the research and went after every tag they got, they might only be able to give out 120 tags (eliminating those who don't use it and then a higher success rate of those who do). It all comes out in the wash. Your odds of drawing are the same if you have 4000 people putting in for 400 permits as you do if only 1000 more dedicated hunters put in for only 100 permits. They have a lot of history with most of these hunts, so their numbers are pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Here is something to consider when you complain about people "wasting" tags.
    Very well put. Dumb system wouldn't let me rep you so here's a short post of support, instead.

Default bite your tongue Dave

Your tone strikes quite a nerve. And thats all I have to say about that in the public forum. You know me well enough that's all I should have to say.

For the record, I'm not picking a fight. Just a reminder to all of us to mind our P's and Q's and take it easy on the soap box rants.

I'm guilty of thoughtless ranting once or twice in the past and took my lumps from those in the know as I should have.

Nuff said.

Good luck on the draws ...

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

Default Deadline for AF&G Tags!

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    It sounds like you might not understand how the system works. Here is something to consider when you complain about people "wasting" tags. The ADF&G factors in a certain percentage of people both not hunting the tags and of those who do hunt it, those that won't be successful. For example, a specific hunt where they want 100 animals taken, they factor in a percentage of unused tags (say 50% from the numbers above for example), then maybe a 50% success rate for those who do hunt. because of that, they give out 400 tags, knowing that only about 200 will even hunt and only about 100 of those would take an animal. If, like you want, everyone or at least nearly everyone who got a permit did all the research and went after every tag they got, they might only be able to give out 120 tags (eliminating those who don't use it and then a higher success rate of those who do). It all comes out in the wash. Your odds of drawing are the same if you have 4000 people putting in for 400 permits as you do if only 1000 more dedicated hunters put in for only 100 permits. They have a lot of history with most of these hunts, so their numbers are pretty accurate.
    Well said anchskier. That pretty much sums it up.