1 2.86%
  • Seward

15 42.86%
  • Anchor Point / Ninilchik

11 31.43%
  • Homer

8 22.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Poll: Best saltwater charters on Kenai Penninsula?

Default Poll: Best saltwater charters on Kenai Penninsula?

Hi folks,

I know a lot of people are coming to Alaska this summer, and a whole passel of 'em are going to end up on the Kenai Penninsula looking for a saltwater fishing charter. So I thought a poll might be helpful.

Feel free to post your reasons for you choice- it will help people decide where to go and why.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Good question--

Its a hard toss-up for me between Anchor/Deep Creek and Homer. I like the overall fishing out of Anchor Point/Deep Creek area better and the deep creek tractor launch is convienent---but the Homer spit is a cool place to launch from as well. Guess the best day would be fishin out of Deep Creek and then cruise into Homer for the evening's fun.

Will

Thumbs up my nickels worth

Chihuly's Charters in Ninilchik 907 567-3374 ~ One of the first charters to halibut & salmon fish out of Ninilchik & one of the best. I was one of their earliest clients back the early 80's & have gone out with them every year since. If their 4 boats are filled up for the day you want to go fishing, try Bill Nelson. He is another of the earliest guides to pioneer the Deep Creek/Ninilchik beach fishery. You cannot go wrong with either one.

IMHO ~ stay away from any of the guides that want to take you halibut fishing in their flat bottomed river sled!!

Everyone should go to seward, cook inlet is pretty much barren and has no fish
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

depends upon what you want to catch... you have a better chance of catching a big halibut in cook inlet than resurection bay, but the salmon/rockfish fishing is extremely better out of seward (resurection bay). the problem with most charters out of seward is that they don't have enough time and/or gas to get to where the best fishing is. once you get outside of the bay there are lots of places to find big halibut, big ling cod, and as many salmon as you want to catch, but few charters are willing to go there.... an overnight charter out of seward that allows you to get out of the bay and into more secluded spots is the way to go.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Thumbs up Seward!

My vote goes to Seward, for the following reasons:

1. If I'm driving from Anchorage, I can be fishing in less time than it takes to drive to Homer.

2. The scenerey is gorgeous- glaciers, fijords, waterfalls, mountain goats, islands, you name it-

3. Ling cod.

4. Tons of silvers.

5. Great halibut fishing.

6. Salmon sharks (have not tried it yet).

7. Rockfish 'a plenty.

I usually go with Saltwater Safari Company; they've got fast boats and can get you into the action pretty quickly (well, it's nearly a two hour ride).

-Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

i believe that's a skate i see in that pile of fish, am i right? looks like ya'll made a killing, although i must admit, it makes me a little naueaus to see such a pile of dead ling like that... i've seen what can happen to a snake fishery in other PacNW locales. musta been fun though, and good eating.
    Mark W.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default No Skates-

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    i believe that's a skate i see in that pile of fish, am i right? looks like ya'll made a killing, although i must admit, it makes me a little naueaus to see such a pile of dead ling like that... i've seen what can happen to a snake fishery in other PacNW locales. musta been fun though, and good eating.
    Mark W.
    No skates on that run; what you're seeing is a harpoon rip on a halibut. I hear ya on the lings- they're pretty tightly regulated here. That was the first day of the season and we found a rockpile that was loaded with 'em. Most had a silver or two in their belly. The limit was two and one guy got both in one pull. Most of the rest of us took twice that long It was probably the best day fishing ling cod that I've ever seen. Sure would like to dive that pinnacle some day, there's got to be some real bruisers on it. A spearfisherman's paradise.

-Mike