Thread: Crazy new optic coming soon.

Default Crazy new optic coming soon.

I just ran across this video today. I've watched it a couple of times and don't think it's posible to hit your target with any wind. Basically the shooter tags his target with a red dot then pulls the electronic trigger and moves the reticle to the red dot, bang it automatically fires.

My confussion in this process comes when you have the need to hold off or lead your target for wind or movement. If that's the case you couldn't move the reticle to the red dot for the automatic firing to take place. The way I see it, if you need hold off to be succesfull moving the reticle to the dot assures a miss everytime.

Comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LvbyAcYjzlc

Well if the itís calculating the solution then range and windage are accounted for. Iím guessing it gets range from a built in range finder and has some prevision for inputting wind.

My observations are:
    If you got to paint target with the laser, aim and push the button at the right time why not just pull the trigger and not bother aiming twice.

What if you paint the target just right and then it moves? Are you painting a point in space or does it somehow track an object and calculate both ends of a shot?

In military application what happens if someone is aiming a lazor back your way? Could they trigger your rifle or otherwise mess you up?

Looks way too gadgety for me, I want to be the computer and trigger puller myself. This just seems like more stuff to give me more problems.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

It's over my head. I didn't see the shooter in the video make any type of adjustment other than pressiong a button and lining up on the dot. I'm also not aware of any system that reads wind simply by seeing through it.

I'm sure it's going to be cost prohibitive. I also assume you would have to down load your load data into the gee-wiz system for it to figure a trajectory. The wind still has me puzzled. I'm waiting for an email response from them on that question.

fun toy but since it casts a light on the target it would be illegal under current hunting regulations

Sounds like a fixed hard target getter or a very stationary soft target getter. Does it have a way to turn off all those gizmos and use a mil dot reticle like a real gun in case some environmental factor is messing up the computers firing solution? Humans fail often, but can make huge leaps in logic or otherwise to correct for failure. Computers make fewer mistakes, but when a computer system fails, there is very little correction to made, at least in a hurry. There is no learning either. The Shooter is part of the solution. Shooting is dynamic, computers are static. Sound fundamentally flawed to me if you are thinking battle scenarios or hunting. I bet it has it's applications though and would be very effective if employed appropriately. Imagine 20 grunts all lined up 1500 yards away taking a minute or less to engage each target with the 50 cal. That is a lot of lead down range, conceivably accurately, under good cover, and from relative novice marksmen. Buy your ability instead of earn it eh.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    fun toy but since it casts a light on the target it would be illegal under current hunting regulations
    I don't think its putting a laser point on target, only displaying it inside the scope, or as he refers to it, the heads up display. I also think there's a great deal of information not being said in the promo, like how does wind speed get inputted into the solution? I'm guessing its user supplied. Along with the ammo of the day.

Its an expensive toy that a few will buy and play with. Doubt I'll ever see one in person.

I think marshall has it figured out in his OP. Regardless of windage, target movement, or any ability on the device's part to solve for these variables, the solution is effectively rendered a static solution given the fact that the projectile is unguided. Once the bullet is released it's headed to wherever the muzzle was pointed, and is subject to all the usual environmental variables while en route the target, without any ability to correct for them. That renders whatever electronic wizardry which may or may not have occurred prior to firing nothing more than gimmickry. Pair this system with a guided bullet (DOD's working on it), and then you'll have something. Until then, as marshall pointed out, you're just effectively sighting your target twice in order to fire once, without having gained any benefit.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Imagine 20 grunts all lined up 1500 yards away taking a minute or less to engage each target with the 50 cal. That is a lot of lead down range, conceivably accurately, under good cover, and from relative novice marksmen. Buy your ability instead of earn it eh.
    Yes thatís interesting. Imagine 20 grunts all lined up at a target with friendlys or hostages all around. One guy paints the target, all guns will fire only when on that target . . . Like an interrupter gear on a fighter plane you donít shoot what you donít want shot. You could put a lot of lead on a very fine point fast with much less risk to bystanders.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Odiebo View Post
    I don't think its putting a laser point on target, only displaying it inside the scope, or as he refers to it, the heads up display.
    Certainly it is. Ther are two parts to the sighting system. The first part paints the target with a laser, and then "remembers" that point in space. The second part of the system controls release of the trigger sear. When the trigger is squeezed, the second part of the system is activated and when the electronics determine the gun is aimed at the exact same point in space which was set when the target was painted initially with the laser, the electronics release the sear. This is relatively simple technology by today's standards; it's a refinement of the same technology we used for surveying back in the late '80's. It definately projects a laser light on the target, just as a range finder does.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Yes thatís interesting. Imagine 20 grunts all lined up at a target with friendlys or hostages all around. One guy paints the target, all guns will fire only when on that target . . . Like an interrupter gear on a fighter plane you donít shoot what you donít want shot. You could put a lot of lead on a very fine point fast with much less risk to bystanders.
    True. That could be very easily done with this, provided the data link between the targeting unit and the firing unit(s) was accurate and reliable. And provided two or more separate units could locate the same point in space with the accuracy required for this type application. That technology would be the limiting factor right now. As it stands, I don't believe the unit demonstrated is utilizing any sort of external GPS type locating. It is simply tracking a fixed point with laser sighting and micro gyroscope type technology to return to the same point. Sharing information about a precise point in space with another unit is a bit more complex.
    #Resist

The one "to have" will be the third generation (which is integrated into the rifle) when the kinks are worked out and it launches guided bullets that can engage targets around corners and behind barriers. The technology is available today BUT the excess acceleration/g-force has a tendency to damage the electronics. Jerry Bull did the same thing some 20 years ago when he signed a contract with the US government to shoot satilites into orbit out of a cannon, the cannon would put a satilite into orbit but the US couldn't build one that would live through the acceleration.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

If you think about it, it is a cure for flinching!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

looks like something them dummies that buy cars with computers in them like ABS and that parking assit junk would buy. trust computers more then yourselves.
    Semper Fi!

I found another video of this scope in action. It appears that it's painting a dot on a theoretical spot in space. That dot is displayed then the reticle is moved to the dot and it fires.

Watch the video and note that he doesn't like his dot on the grape fruit so he erases it and remarks it. The real catch is when marking a moving pig. He marked the shoulder but the animal moves forward and the theoretical dot moves to the gut before the shot is sent. I still think it's crap because there is no way to hold off or lead for windage or movement unless you mark the estimated spot in space for the distance then send it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=BlEFVOavvUM#!

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    ...it's crap...
    Yup.
    #Resist