Thread: Best sets for canines

Default Best sets for canines

Okay trappers, in your opinion, what are the best sets to use for canines (specifically fox and coyote)? I have been at this for three years now and have gotten my share of marten and cats but the canines are giving me a fit. I have tried dirt hole and pee post sets but no luck. I boiled and dyed my traps but have not been particularly careful with scent control while setting. Is that my problem or is there another trick. Also not having any luck with snares thus far but have not put a lot of effort into that either. So can you guys tell me what the key to success is for expanding my fur collection. I am in good territory for both species but usually end up with a dug out trap bed and empty snares. Help me out please.
    Hunt, Fish and drink beer with friends.........because life is to short to work all day.

Snares. But i'll use urine along the trail or near the snare set to get them to "relax" on the trail.

Another good one is a bait pile, but no traps near it. Set a pee post a ways back (a couple of them is a good idea) and set it. When they mill they'll mark...and then you got yourself a winner.

But snares are my favorite.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Thanks, I'll give that a try and will be sure to let you know how I did.
    Hunt, Fish and drink beer with friends.........because life is to short to work all day.

set beaver dams with foot holds, just got one today with that set. when there is open water its the only way to cross.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.